Anyone had their Mach E parked in an ice storm yet?

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Has anyone had their car parked during a ice or freezing rain storm?

I'm wondering how getting into the car handles the ice. 1) can you still push the door opening button (is it touch or a physical depress button)?

2) how do the plungers handle a solid layer of ice. I think the MME system would probably work well with the leverage of the plunger. ?

I found a video about a Tesla model 3 in ice. The door handles did not work very well.

Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The Mach-E was tested for this. The doors openers can push through a layer of ice. ?

But this is all moot because OF COURSE you'll be parking your car in the garage, right??

Otherwise we'll have to turn you in to American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Mach-Es. :eek:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

I'm wondering how getting into the car handles the ice. 1) can you still push the door opening button (is it touch or a physical depress button)?

2) how do the plungers handle a solid layer of ice. I think the MME system would probably work well with the leverage of the plunger. ?

I found a video about a Tesla model 3 in ice. The door handles did not work very well.

That's the reason we need a button to remotely open the door within the app. If there is a heavy sheet of ice over the button, you can't depress it. The plunger is great, the button not so much.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
That's the reason we need a button to remotely open the door within the app. If there is a heavy sheet of ice over the button, you can't depress it. The plunger is great, the button not so much.
In that case, the proper procedure is to turn around, go back in the house, get the hot chocolate out and get back into the PJs.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Or maybe a long press on the fob's unlock button.........

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My loaner MME is in the driveway, sorry my owned wrangler is in the garage until my "Cherry" gets back home from the dealer. It iced here the other day and was thick, no issues with opening the door or using the button. The front air vents did cycle twice to clear the ice after connecting the charger. I turned the car on, put everything on full blast and wen't back in for my first cup of coffee. The entire car was a sheet of ice, had to carefully remove it many parts. I wish I took a picture but oh well. One thing to do when in the same situation is to make sure the front camera and front round sensors in the bumper are clear. If not you will get messages like this and others like Park assist and pre-collision not available. Had the collision go off when driving in the snow storm today as well, it's a different message. When I got home my front was all snowed in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone had their Mach E parked in an ice storm yet? Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.44.44 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone had their Mach E parked in an ice storm yet? Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.44.34 PM

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag

Mache vs tesla in freezing rain tested this last week here. It's night and day. We had eggshells on all the vehicles when we left. A certain ford worker has his mache already and the door opened like it was nothing. We all stood there pretty amazing seeing the whole sheet of ice come off.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
This car was designed in Michigan. I expect it will handle ice well. (Though we get way more ice here in Virginia that we ever did when I lived in Michigan!)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
@timbop had a situation like this.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@timbop had a situation like this.
yep; it was probably a rare event but we had 3 inches of sleet followed by freezing rain. The winglet dutifully caught the sleet and it piled up over the button, and then the freezing rain made a nice frozen mountain. Fortunately the sleet was directional so the other door's button wasn't covered. I wasn't going anywhere anyway, but it is a shortcoming that an "open door" button on the app would perfectly solve.

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Mache vs tesla in freezing rain tested this last week here. It's night and day. We had eggshells on all the vehicles when we left. A certain ford worker has his mache already and the door opened like it was nothing. We all stood there pretty amazing seeing the whole sheet of ice come off.
Now that’s what I’m talking about!! Love it!!
Sponsored