Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Here’s a video on Bluecruise I made today. Not the best video but hopefully it gives some insight. It is literally lane centering that allows you to remove your hands on the easy parts. This doesn’t show everything but most of it. To be honest it worked pretty well most of the time but decided to not behave much during this video.
The auto lane centering doesn't like driving through merge points or other places where the lines go away or split/merge, so I am not surprised that it told you to take over at the end when you were in the right lane and it split off the exit lane. As suspected, in some curves it wants you to have your hands on the wheel so it reverts to "traditional" lane centering requiring hands on the wheel, and that makes sense for release 1.0 - Ford is correctly being conservative until they have enough data that says it handles curves just fine and then they'll update it to not make you put your hand on the wheel.

Overall it looks like an excellent feature for long road trips.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The auto lane centering doesn't like driving through merge points or other places where the lines go away or split/merge, so I am not surprised that it told you to take over at the end when you were in the right lane and it split off the exit lane. As suspected, in some curves it wants you to have your hands on the wheel so it reverts to "traditional" lane centering requiring hands on the wheel, and that makes sense for release 1.0 - Ford is correctly being conservative until they have enough data that says it handles curves just fine and then they'll update it to not make you put your hand on the wheel.

I’m in full agreement. I just drove 18 hours +stops with it and was very happy with the feature for release 1.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FYI, the manual explicitly mentions lane splits/merges:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone have a video testing BlueCruise? 1631970399788

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Here’s a video on Bluecruise I made today. Not the best video but hopefully it gives some insight. It is literally lane centering that allows you to remove your hands on the easy parts. This doesn’t show everything but most of it. To be honest it worked pretty well most of the time but decided to not behave much during this video.
Sam, how do you know in advance, what highways are BC designated?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Sam, how do you know in advance, what highways are BC designated?
You look at Fords map and try to guess.

As far as I can tell pretty much ALL limited access interstates and most state highways in urban areas are mapped. There's a small limited access highway near my house that is even mapped.

Here's Fords crappy map. St. Louis just looks like a big blue blob. Pretty much all of the interstates and any divided limited access highways (like 21) are mapped. Anything that is two way traffic with no median or has access more than just normal entrance/exit ramps is not included in bluecruise.

bleuecruisemap.jpeg

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
You look at Fords map and try to guess.

As far as I can tell pretty much ALL limited access interstates and most state highways in urban areas are mapped. There's a small limited access highway near my house that is even mapped.

Here's Fords crappy map. St. Louis just looks like a big blue blob. Pretty much all of the interstates and any divided limited access highways (like 21) are mapped. Anything that is two way traffic with no median or has access more than just normal entrance/exit ramps is not included in bluecruise.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone have a video testing BlueCruise? bleuecruisema
Yep, I was having trouble reading the hazy, blue blob map too. When I open maps in my Ford Pass App and play with the zoom, I can see bright red bold highway lines, compared to less bold, or some orange highways. I was wondering if the Ford Pass App map was tied into BC?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag

But… wasn’t this supposedly the reason for BlueCruise’s “detailed mapping” of the highways? Wasn’t the explanation for the $600 subscription that “it costs money to keep all that data current”?

If BC doesn’t keep lanes any better than standard CP360 ACC + lane centering - it just lets you swap a hand nanny for an eye nanny on certain geofenced stretches of highway - that’s going to be very disappointing.

Hey @Ford Motor Company - care to tell us? Why can’t we get a straight answer on this?
Sponsored