Anyone received Manufacturers (Ford) Certification of $7500 tax credit?

cmsva1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Country flag
My dealer was 100% clueless, and I obviously didn’t get any paperwork for the tax credit last week (when I completed my purchase). So I’m reaching out to others here to see what info they got. Looking on the TurboTax site, its states the following:

Manufacturer's certification
The manufacturer of your qualified plug-in vehicle will provide you with a certification that your vehicle qualifies for the credit. The vehicle manufacturer’s certification will contain information on the make, model and year of your vehicle and which specific credit amount your vehicle qualifies for.

IRS List includes Mach-E
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit
Sponsored

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
Ford’s advertising counts as a manufacturer certification. The IRS generally lets you accept the manufacturer’s statement that a vehicle qualifies for the tax credit and the amount. You can also find the model specific info on the IRS or fueleconomy.gov website.

cjk422

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Select AWD Infinite Blue
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm considering buying a Mach-E and getting conflicting information about the tax credit. Is it available for the 2021 tax year? The fact that Ford is advertising it makes me think yes, but my tax professional seems to think it needs to be reauthorized by Congress.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I'm considering buying a Mach-E and getting conflicting information about the tax credit. Is it available for the 2021 tax year? The fact that Ford is advertising it makes me think yes, but my tax professional seems to think it needs to be reauthorized by Congress.
As of now it is fully available.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes. It may be time to find a new tax professional.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
A BEV purchased in 2021 is for the 2021 tax year.

The documentation you need is your bill of sale. It has your VIN on it which identifies the vehicle, the date of sale, etc.

MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A BEV purchased in 2021 is for the 2021 tax year.

The documentation you need is your bill of sale. It has your VIN on it which identifies the vehicle, the date of sale, etc.
Correct. Which means he cant use it until next year unless he took delivery December 2020.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Ok guys, listen up. We got audited over our 2019 taxes because of claiming the 2019 tax credit for our Nissan Leaf. They came back and asked for the manufactures tax credit form and a copy of the sales contract. Evidently there is/was a credible amount of fraud using the tax credit. We were not given any type of tax credit form by Nissan. I sent IRS the sales contract and explained that the dealer stated that the IRS should already have the Manufacturers information showing the vehicle was eligible for the credit. (This is what Nissan said I needed to do). I still have not heard back from IRS and if I call them they say it is still a open audit. Told they are running behind due to COVID. Just a warning then to have all your ducks in a row when you file for this credit that you are legally due. On the Nissan Leaf forum there were other people also who were also getting audited. This may be a red flag to IRS and they are auditing such credit claims. We use H&R Block tax program and the form (968?) I think even asks for a VIN Number which we provided. Just be prepared to be audited over this.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Ok guys, listen up. We got audited over our 2019 taxes because of claiming the 2019 tax credit for our Nissan Leaf. They came back and asked for the manufactures tax credit form and a copy of the sales contract. Evidently there is/was a credible amount of fraud using the tax credit. We were not given any type of tax credit form by Nissan. I sent IRS the sales contract and explained that the dealer stated that the IRS should already have the Manufacturers information showing the vehicle was eligible for the credit. (This is what Nissan said I needed to do). I still have not heard back from IRS and if I call them they say it is still a open audit. Told they are running behind due to COVID. Just a warning then to have all your ducks in a row when you file for this credit that you are legally due. On the Nissan Leaf forum there were other people also who were also getting audited. This may be a red flag to IRS and they are auditing such credit claims. We use H&R Block tax program and the form (968?) I think even asks for a VIN Number which we provided. Just be prepared to be audited over this.
A thing we found out about the IRS. We lived overseas an I worked for uncle Sugar for several years, my wife worked for a foreign company. A couple of years after returning they pulled the " you owe us taxes on money earned these years.

After doing the call thing and getting the bully bully run around with no movement beside file this and that, my wife went down to the local office with all the paperwork demanding to speak with the rep in charge of our case. Told them if they were not local she would be fine driving. They folded quick and the matter was resolved within an hour. I think the local office folks were in shock someone actually came knocking.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
OP
OP
cmsva1

cmsva1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Country flag
It's all explained here: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/claiming-the-7500-electric-vehicle-tax-credit-a-step-by-step-guide/
" The IRS sends a letter of certification to automakers that notes the make, model, and year of the EVs it sells that qualify for credits. When you buy a plug-in car, the dealer will give you a copy. "
This aligns with my OP. And my concern is that my dealer had no clue and knew nothing about this. Obviously I did not get this document.
Sponsored