Anyone received Manufacturers (Ford) Certification of $7500 tax credit?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This aligns with my OP. And my concern is that my dealer had no clue and knew nothing about this. Obviously I did not get this document.
I have bought three EVs. Never needed nor had a letter to claim the tax credit. Just enter the requested information on the tax form and that is that.
Sponsored

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
Instructions for Form 8936 (01/2021) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)
Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Including Qualified Two-Wheeled Plug-in Electric Vehicles)

Certification and Other Requirements
Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Including Qualified Two-Wheeled Plug-in Electric Vehicles)

Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.
Thank you for posting the OFFICIAL information. As most have previously stated, all you need to do is provide the requested info (e.g., VIN on the IRS form. You do not need to have a statement, letter, or anything else. If audited, you might be asked to show the bill of sale. People need to quit worrying. This is simple. I have done it with three EVs and it was extremely easy!

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
It's all explained here: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/claiming-the-7500-electric-vehicle-tax-credit-a-step-by-step-guide/
" The IRS sends a letter of certification to automakers that notes the make, model, and year of the EVs it sells that qualify for credits. When you buy a plug-in car, the dealer will give you a copy. "
Beg to differ but this is our third EV and we have never received this from dealer. We were told by Nissan dealer where we bought the vehicle that caused us to get audited that IRS sends this to Corporation regarding that dealer typed and not to individual dealers. Therefore they did not and had never obtained a copy of this for any buyer. IRS is supposed to have these records already since they are the one who sends out the certification to start with.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Thanks @janitorjim

OK, so reading this excerpt it looks like the dealer may or may not be in the loop, but the "manufacturer or domestic distributor" is probably on the hook for providing the information if it is needed (which seems to be generally not, but an auditor might request it). In the case of the MME, that would be @Ford Motor Company

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have bought three EVs. Never needed nor had a letter to claim the tax credit. Just enter the requested information on the tax form and that is that.
Me too, I used one on a Volt and another for a Bolt.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
Thanks @janitorjim

OK, so reading this excerpt it looks like the dealer may or may not be in the loop, but the "manufacturer or domestic distributor" is probably on the hook for providing the information if it is needed (which seems to be generally not, but an auditor might request it). In the case of the MME, that would be @Ford Motor Company
I think "domestic distributor" means the dealer

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I think "domestic distributor" means the dealer
I was thinking “domestic distributor” was referring to a distibution corporation for a foreign make, but who knows?
Sponsored