Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2?

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone on here has replaced the standard OEM all season tires that came with the MME with the Michelin CrossClimate2 all weather tires?

Wondering specifically about rolling resistance and any impact you might have noticed on range, as well as any additional noise?

I also noticed that they have a slightly lower load rating than OEM tires, but should still be well within spec allowing a max total of 6,800 pounds.

Screenshot_20210628-130051_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210627-150956_Chrome.jpg

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone on here has replaced the standard OEM all season tires that came with the MME with the Michelin CrossClimate2 all weather tires?

Wondering specifically about rolling resistance and any impact you might have noticed on range, as well as any additional noise?

I also noticed that they have a slightly lower load rating than OEM tires, but should still be well within spec allowing a max total of 6,800 pounds.
Read the Tire Rack reviews from Tesla owners. I crossed the CrossClimate2 off my list because many are reporting a significant impact to range. With current tire technology, if you get a tire that performs really well like the CrossClimate2, it will have poor rolling resistance. Check out the low rolling resistance tires: reviewers slam them for poor performance in rain, snow and tread life. I wish a tire existed that did it all, but none do yet.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
There is for sure someone else here that has done this, i just can't remember what thread. It was in the wheels and tires section, and believe they plus sized the tire to 235.

I'm intrigued by this tire as well, and have been thinking to try it out on our other SUV.

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Read the Tire Rack reviews from Tesla owners. I crossed the CrossClimate2 off my list because many are reporting a significant impact to range. With current tire technology, if you get a tire that performs really well like the CrossClimate2, it will have poor rolling resistance. Check out the low rolling resistance tires: reviewers slam them for poor performance in rain, snow and tread life. I wish a tire existed that did it all, but none do yet.
"MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV" coming soon!

"Twenty-inch MICHELIN Pilot Sport EVs have been type-approved for the new Tesla Model Y which is already marketed in China. As well, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be a global tire and will be available on vehicles in Europe and North America later in 2021."

https://insideevs.com/news/490939/michelin-pilot-sport-ev-tire-annnounced/

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV" coming soon!

"Twenty-inch MICHELIN Pilot Sport EVs have been type-approved for the new Tesla Model Y which is already marketed in China. As well, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be a global tire and will be available on vehicles in Europe and North America later in 2021."

https://insideevs.com/news/490939/michelin-pilot-sport-ev-tire-annnounced/
Summer tire or all season? I believe it is a summer tire. I need all season, like the CrossClimate2.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
There is for sure someone else here that has done this, i just can't remember what thread. It was in the wheels and tires section, and believe they plus sized the tire to 235.

I'm intrigued by this tire as well, and have been thinking to try it out on our other SUV.
I have the 235 that is a little higher load rating (105 vs 103 stock and 99 for 225). I'm probably getting about a 10% range reduction, but worth it to me for the improved handling and lower braking distance. I work from home and I charge to 90% about once a week unless taking a longer drive. If I did a lot of longer trips it might be an issue, but I am very happy with these tires.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? 1624938027012

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone running on Michelin CrossClimate2? 1624938099921

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have the 235 that is a little higher load rating (105 vs 103 stock and 99 for 225). I'm probably getting about a 10% range reduction, but worth it to me for the improved handling and lower braking distance. I work from home and I charge to 90% about once a week unless taking a longer drive. If I did a lot of longer trips it might be an issue, but I am very happy with these tires.

They look really good!

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They look really good!
That's great feedback and really helpful, thanks!

I wonder how much of the extra rolling resistance is coming from the extra width rather then the tread pattern, and if sticking with 225's would have performed better. ?

Also are you running stock inflation at 39 PSI right now? I read a review on tire rack where someone mentioned that increasing the inflation pressure on his tires by just 4 PSI made a world of difference to his consumption figures.

I live in Toronto, Canada where it does get cold in the winter, but we don't really see that many real snow days. We probably average like 30 days in total, and I was hoping to use these CrossClimate2 all year round since they seem to perform well enough in the snow, and incredibly well in dry and wet weather. Whereas dedicated winter tires perform horribly in dry weather conditions, which means in reality that's a pretty big sacrifice when you most of my winter driving takes place on plowed dry pavement.

If I lose 5% on range I would probably be OK with that to avoid the hassle of seasonal tire swaps. But 10% seems like a steep penalty to incur year round and I'm hoping slight over inflation can mitigate some of that.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I am running 39 psi. I can try a little higher pressure, I just don't want the tires to wear unevenly.

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
These are the exact tires I was looking at putting on our GTPE when we get it. Since by the time I end up getting the car, I'll need new tires just to drive it off the lot :( Summer tires, winter delivery not a good mix.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
These are the exact tires I was looking at putting on our GTPE when we get it. Since by the time I end up getting the car, I'll need new tires just to drive it off the lot :( Summer tires, winter delivery not a good mix.
I've been obsessively looking at tires for the MME 4X / GT for months now. I keep looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus as a good possibility.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I've been obsessively looking at tires for the MME 4X / GT for months now. I keep looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus as a good possibility.
I had the continentals you mention on my Clarity. I don't think they are that great on wet roads, I experienced some slipping with them on corners.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am running 39 psi. I can try a little higher pressure, I just don't want the tires to wear unevenly.
42psi - 43psi (cold) should be completely fine.

If you do go ahead and try that, myself and many others here would really appreciate a follow-up update on your results!

Paddler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium w/Ext. Range Battery, RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I am looking for a tire that is quiet! The OEM Michelin Primacy A/S's generate a lot of road noise - even accounting for the lack of engine noise. Have you noticed a difference from your OEM's?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's great feedback and really helpful, thanks!

I wonder how much of the extra rolling resistance is coming from the extra width rather then the tread pattern, and if sticking with 225's would have performed better. ?

Also are you running stock inflation at 39 PSI right now? I read a review on tire rack where someone mentioned that increasing the inflation pressure on his tires by just 4 PSI made a world of difference to his consumption figures.

I live in Toronto, Canada where it does get cold in the winter, but we don't really see that many real snow days. We probably average like 30 days in total, and I was hoping to use these CrossClimate2 all year round since they seem to perform well enough in the snow, and incredibly well in dry and wet weather. Whereas dedicated winter tires perform horribly in dry weather conditions, which means in reality that's a pretty big sacrifice when you most of my winter driving takes place on plowed dry pavement.

If I lose 5% on range I would probably be OK with that to avoid the hassle of seasonal tire swaps. But 10% seems like a steep penalty to incur year round and I'm hoping slight over inflation can mitigate some of that.
From what I have read about rolling resistance, width has a minor impact. Tire pressure has a significant impact, and the tire material has a significant impact. The CrossClimte2 tire performs really well in all weather conditions if you trust Tire Rack reviews, and I do. 5-10% range hit is probably what people will see even with them inflated to 42 psi.

Personally I am considering 245/50 R19 Pirelli P7 tires for my incoming Premium MME because they are designed to be low rolling resistance and seem to do relatively well in performance testing. If you read the reviews on Tire Rack, however, you will see what all low rolling resistance tires produce: bad reviews from people who don't know they have a low rolling resistance tire. If range is top priority, then you really cannot go with the CrossClimate2 or other high performance all weather tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9CP7ASXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Sponsored