Anyone touch up their paint yet?

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Thinking of getting PPF given the reports of the paint on plastic being so vulnerable but curious if anyone has touched up a rock chip and how well it went? Especially about IB, RR, and Star White since the tinted/tri coat might complicate things.
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thinking of getting PPF given the reports of the paint on plastic being so vulnerable but curious if anyone has touched up a rock chip and how well it went? Especially about IB, RR, and Star White since the tinted/tri coat might complicate things.
Rapid Red here and yes, however you are right as tri-coat colors are very difficult to make perfect. I ordered from Scratches Happen and Touch-up Direct. It can conceal small nicks well, but it's not going to look factory fresh if the spot is too large or a line scratch.

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Didn't feel like starting a new thread, so I'm gonna just add to this one. Had my first rock chip, noticed it last night when cleaning my car (Rapid Red). Will something like this work? Are the Rapid Reds the same across Ford models?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3635122525...MArVnJyxeZcIjN7wq-0PU14F8FQR-3HgaAtlgEALw_wcB
It's best to use a site to buy the exact color you need like this one.

www.automotivetouchup.com

Then refer to the inside of your driver side door for the paint code for your exact vehicle that was used. The site will walk your through exactly where the code is and which number/letter combos you have to pick from for your car. :)

GoIrish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
It's best to use a site to buy the exact color you need like this one.

www.automotivetouchup.com

Then refer to the inside of your driver side door for the paint code for your exact vehicle that was used. The site will walk your through exactly where the code is and which number/letter combos you have to pick from for your car. :)
Thank you! This website has Lucid Red, not Rapid Red. I think I had read somewhere that Lucid Red was the same color, just a different name in Europe (Because some genius in marketing decided that Lucid is better than Rapid for EU). Can someone please confirm?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Dealerships sell touch-up paint. I always get it free with the purchase.

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GTPE, '02 M3, '11 F-150
Country flag
Dr. Color Chip has Lucid/Rapid marked as the same. Alas...He's missing Cyber Orange for now.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone touch up their paint yet? 1631034056435

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thank you! This website has Lucid Red, not Rapid Red. I think I had read somewhere that Lucid Red was the same color, just a different name in Europe (Because some genius in marketing decided that Lucid is better than Rapid for EU). Can someone please confirm?
Can confirm it's the same! Shadow Black shows a similar problem coming up as Absolute Black. The pen I ordered matches the color of the car perfectly!

GW Shark

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD Star White, 2014 Prius V
Occupation
Scuba Instructor
Country flag
I went to the Ford dealership and purchased (Star White tricoat) touchup paint (took them one day to get it in) for about $20. Worked great on the 3 very small chips I had. I did this prior to PPF - so your thinking is similar to mine regarding chips. Perfect match.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Does anyone know what color the glossy black trim is? Several of the websites show it as carbonized grey, which it most definitely is not.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I have touched up 2 tiny spots on my Space White.

Used factory tough up as well as Dr Colorchip.

For the smallest spot Dr Colorchip worked great
For the larger spot I could not get it to stay through the buffing part of the application so I used the factory pen. Worked fine, applied a bit of clear and after letting it dry buffed and polished up out. From 10ft away both disappeared, goal met. Then had PPF applied over it.

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
I have touched up three small, but deep chips. I will probably need to apply a second coat before clearcoat. I used the factory touchup pen.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
I have touched up three small, but deep chips. I will probably need to apply a second coat before clearcoat. I used the factory touchup pen.
UK. I wish I could get an official touch up pen for my Space White colour. Bought 4th September and found chip on rear hatch. Phoned dealer and they didn't have touch up pens for any colour. "The shelves are empty" Apparently there was a supply of pens which Ford rejected which was 2 months ago. Space White didn't even show up on their parts system. The only advice was to keep ringing...

This is not what I expect from a major manufacturer :rolleyes: Anyone from the UK recommend alternative paint chip suppliers with accurate colours?

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
Got another one today...I am leaning towards getting the hood repainted....
Sponsored