Anyone use a CHADeMo adapter ?

Silver 21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach e Premium
Country flag
So on a recent road trip we ran into a situation at a charging location which had four chargers. Two were in use and the CSS connectors on other two were listed as not operating. Each station had both CSS and CHADeMo but only the CSS were out of order. After calling the help lines and getting nowhere we were resigned to waiting for one of the other cars to finish so we could get at the units working CSS plugs.

It left me thinking we should probably have a CHADeMo adapter for just such occasions. After a search I can find Tesla adapters, but not CHADeMo. Am I missing something? I am very new to this technology and don’t want to break my car, but if all of the CSS lines had been out of order it would have meant a 45 minute back track to get to the next closest charger.

Do these adapters exist and has anyone used them?

thanks!
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Those do not exist. Chademo is in slow death mode anyway.

There is a Chademo to Tesla adapter.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
CCS, not CSS.

CHAdeMo and CCS use two different signaling schemes - I believe CCS uses something similar to what powerline ethernet uses, while ChaDeMo talks CANBUS directly. Converting between the two would require an active converter with electronics.

Also, what @AZBill said.

OP
OP

Silver 21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach e Premium
Country flag
CCS, not CSS.
oops! Sorry about that!
Thanks for the info. The difference in communication methods makes sense. I have so much to learn about all this.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Sponsored