Quadzilla

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
Anyone have any concerns about APS using your driving data when using the program? Are the rewards worth it in your opinion? I guess I'm not really too concerned with them obtaining by driving history but maybe I should be?
Sponsored

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
What do you mean by APS?

I am in the smartcharge program.... pretty much makes charging for me 1/2 price... so I think it's worth it.

From a privacy prospective... Ford is tracking us, cell phone is tracking us, what's yet another company :)

OP
OP

Quadzilla

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
APS is one of the electric utility companies here in AZ. They are offering a rewards program but you have to be willing to attach a sensor to the car. I assume it's similar to the program you have there in New York.

I agree, Google or Apple probably taking much more of our info. Just get a little nervous when adding a device to the vehicle from a third party. I've probably watched too much of Mr. Robot.

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah - smartcharge is the same company that does it in NY.

I've had a few issues with them -- they stopped pulling charging data but could still see usage, so I wasn't getting credit for like 2-3mo... but seems like its stable again.

Always concerns me plugging in a 3rd party device that has it's own connectivity... I'd really like to see them tie off ford APIs instead... that's what they do for tesla

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
What do they need to know about your car that is valuable enough for them to give you a big discount?

On principle I'd want to know what exactly I'm giving them in exchange for the discount. If I knew, I might agree. If they are opaque, then no.

az-paco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Prius, '21 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I have joined the SmartRewards program through APS. It's a small incentive, but I'm hopeful that it will be used to improve APS's understanding of EV owner's electricity needs so they can provide the services we need. As someone else posted, there were some technical issues for the MME tracking device they provided (didn't know about the charging, so no incentive received those months), but that seems to be resolved now. I have noted that the device seems to be a bit of a loose fit and you definitely need the zip-tie provided to hold it in place. Also, because of the size and position, I worry about knocking it out of the socket or breaking it with my foot when I enter or exit the vehicle.

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
What do they need to know about your car that is valuable enough for them to give you a big discount?

On principle I'd want to know what exactly I'm giving them in exchange for the discount. If I knew, I might agree. If they are opaque, then no.
I did a decent dive into some of their privacy to know this as I had concerns as well.

They do use GPS on the car to understand where the car is where it is charging. There are benefits when charged in my electric company's region... but they do not apply when I am out of region.

From a tracking logs i've seen, they track distances, time, energy used, etc.

For my region... they give me $0.11/kWh (which is 50% off my regular rate with surcharges and taxes). They also give an extra $20/mo if you only charge 12a-8a during summer months

Example... Chargepoint home charger, based on my rate configured, says I paid $51 for charging in November. I got $22 reimbursed from SmartRewards in December.

Last edited:

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have joined the SmartRewards program through APS. It's a small incentive, but I'm hopeful that it will be used to improve APS's understanding of EV owner's electricity needs so they can provide the services we need. As someone else posted, there were some technical issues for the MME tracking device they provided (didn't know about the charging, so no incentive received those months), but that seems to be resolved now. I have noted that the device seems to be a bit of a loose fit and you definitely need the zip-tie provided to hold it in place. Also, because of the size and position, I worry about knocking it out of the socket or breaking it with my foot when I enter or exit the vehicle.
I talked to them about the physical security of the device... they sent me an "extender" (it has another port on it too) and it was long enough for me to bury it under the dash. It still sticks out a little and you see exposed wires which is annoying, but it isn't at kick risk anymore
Sponsored