Anyway to get Ford Pass to show accurate charging times?

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
I have mine charging on a Grizzl-e charger. It's on a 14-50. But for some reason Ford Pass thinks it's on a 110v. I keep getting notifications that it will charge outside of specified times etc. The approx time to charge is like days sometimes, even though it actually takes just a few hours. Is there a way to get the app to sense what it is plugged into?

Sorry if this has been covered. I did search first. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Yup. Ford Pass app is not reliable. It fails to accurately predict charging times, does not commit changes to charge settings, and keeps thinking I haven’t read the alerts/messages that I have read.

Ford has a long ways to go.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have mine charging on a Grizzle charger. It's on a 14-50. But for some reason Ford Pass thinks it's on a 110v. I keep getting notifications that it will charge outside of specified times etc. The approx time to charge is like days sometimes, even though it actually takes just a few hours. Is there a way to get the app to sense what it is plugged into?

Sorry if this has been covered. I did search first. :)
How do you know what rate your Grizzl-E is charging at? If FordPass says days, your charger is likely the issue.

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you know what rate your Grizzl-E is charging at? If FordPass says days, your charger is likely the issue.
No, my charger charges the car in a few hours. But the FP app estimates the charging will finish in like a day. FP is estimating 3miles per hour of charge. My charger is charging much faster. What does yours say on the estimate time to charge? Is yours accurate?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, my charger charges the car in a few hours. But the FP app estimates the charging will finish in like a day. FP is estimating 3miles per hour of charge. My charger is charging much faster. What does yours say on the estimate time to charge? Is yours accurate?
FordPass is always off, but not like that. It should show you after some time how many miles it added (estimated) and how much kWh it added. That is reality. If, after an hour, it says it added 1.2 or so kWh and 3 miles, that is what it added and you have a charger issue.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I also have a Grizzl-E. I have used, 24, 32, and 40A charge settings... When I check the charge percent added after an hour, sure enough the car and Grizzl-E agree on the charge rate.

However, the Ford pass estimate of charge time to complete varies from comically wrong to being wrong by an hour. It is never closer than that and usually says the charge will complete a day or more after it actually should.

A year or so ago, the charge estimate was consistently pessimistic by an hour. Now, pessimistic by between an hour and a few days. The Grizzl-E has not changed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FordPass is always off, but not like that. It should show you after some time how many miles it added (estimated) and how much kWh it added. That is reality. If, after an hour, it says it added 1.2 or so kWh and 3 miles, that is what it added and you have a charger issue.
No it tells me the correct amount that it has added. But the time to finish is still way off. It always finishes way way early. It's just the app is telling me it will take longer, like it is calculating 3miles per hour even though it is adding about 20 per hour. I guess I'll just ignore the app. The car charges just fine.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No it tells me the correct amount that it has added. But the time to finish is still way off. It always finishes way way early. It's just the app is telling me it will take longer, like it is calculating 3miles per hour even though it is adding about 20 per hour. I guess I'll just ignore the app. The car charges just fine.
I think your belief that it is using 3 miles is off. Yes, it will forecast longer, but not days. Do the math and you will see.

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also have a Grizzl-E. I have used, 24, 32, and 40A charge settings... When I check the charge percent added after an hour, sure enough the car and Grizzl-E agree on the charge rate.

However, the Ford pass estimate of charge time to complete varies from comically wrong to being wrong by an hour. It is never closer than that and usually says the charge will complete a day or more after it actually should.
OK, yeah... that is exactly what mine is doing. So I guess it's normal. I love the Grizzl-e. It just works.

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think your belief that it is using 3 miles is off. Yes, it will forecast longer, but not days. Do the math and you will see.
I didn't do the math, but the Ford Pass app says my car will complete charging at 1:43am (if charged to 100%), here is the charge log. Obviously it would be finished charging in like 30 mins, but I unplugged as I don't want to charge to 100%. I usually don't even charge to 95% I was just doing an experiment.

Screenshot_20230117_153213_FordPass.jpg

BeccaGuerrero

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach- CA Route-1
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
New to the board and new Mach-e wonder. Husband researched and landed on the grizzl-e for my charger but the Ford pass app issues was making me think I was sending it back to Amazon! Glad I'm not alone!

It's also not charging within the time frames, is that a Ford pass issue too?

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New to the board and new Mach-e wonder. Husband researched and landed on the grizzl-e for my charger but the Ford pass app issues was making me think I was sending it back to Amazon! Glad I'm not alone!

It's also not charging within the time frames, is that a Ford pass issue too?
Think that is a Ford Pass thing, or the car setting. Try deleting the charge location (home). Plug in and charge for a little and then re-set up the charging times. If it is still not working.

For a while, I couldn't set the charge times in the app, but they worked fine once they were set in the car. The Grizzl-e has been great so far. It's a dumb charger, so it just does what the car says. I just plug in when I get home and it starts charging at midnight.

BeccaGuerrero

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach- CA Route-1
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Think that is a Ford Pass thing, or the car setting. Try deleting the charge location (home). Plug in and charge for a little and then re-set up the charging times. If it is still not working.

For a while, I couldn't set the charge times in the app, but they worked fine once they were set in the car. The Grizzl-e has been great so far. It's a dumb charger, so it just does what the car says. I just plug in when I get home and it starts charging at midnight.
yeah, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that since I did had to do that with the Ford charger but I will definitely try that out, thanks!!
Sponsored