Apparently you have to do research before you take the Mach-E to a car wash for the first time

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Doesn't anyone have a hose at home??
It hasn’t been above freezing for more than 4 hours at a time here for a month and a half. And, they use a metric shit-ton of rock salt on the roads to keep the ice at bay. If I had a space where I could do a 2 bucket wash/dry/polish in a warm space, I’d be all over it. But, I don’t. So to the car wash I go.?‍♂
Sponsored

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
my touchless car wash that doesnt move the car doesnt have these issues LOL.

Reactions: ckt

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
That's your penalty for taking it to a car wash !!!!!!!

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Sorry I agree with the OP this is just stupid engineering and a total lack of Human Systems Integration in a critical step. This actually happens in my Dad's new Bronco Sport so for what ever reason we now have to switch to neutral in Ford products then push the center button, which by the way is a different letter in the Bronco sport. Now as far as taping brakes to put in gear, that one I've been dealing with for years on multiply brands, it too is stupid and just bad engineering. In any case these dumb changes for change like the HVAC auto are reasons why EV will not be mass accepted for awhile regardless of legislation.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I took mine through the car wash one time shortly after I bought it. It popped that front bumper port cover off (thankfully didn't lose it) and detached one of my mirrors from the folding actuator. Never again. This was a new "nice" Club Carwash, by the way.

mach_e_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
The following is my opinion. You are welcome to disagree.

It is interesting the forums have some version of "you should have known"

The mach e is getting too popular that regular people are buying this car. People that have an older car where neutral does one thing and now have this car where you need neutral and 5 other steps. These people don't do research because they didn't have to before and no one told them

I've had 3 cars that needed no research. It seems the mentality is now shifting to a you are on your own sort of thing. And when this is first pointed out to them in the form of "you should have known" it's quite jarring in my opinion. It's almost like we are trying to alienate these users because they didn't spend 12 hours researching the car.

Yes, I understand that in the end it is the owner's responsibility to know everything about the car. But it's quite harsh the way Ford has changed the way things work without a clear warning. And it's a bad community experience to not offer support and blame the owner instead of Ford.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag
Similar thing happened to me in my old kia niro EV. I had the auto hold on, and took 30s to figure it out after some yelling from the attendent, "put it in neutral"

IMO, why do car manufacturers do that? Auto hold in neutral???

Art

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retiref
Country flag
So I took the wife's Mach-E to the car wash and quickly found out that Neutral on the Mach-E is not like neutral on an ICE powertrain. When the rollers tried to pull the car forward the car refused to move. The car wash guy was yelling at me to put it in Neutral and I was yelling back that it WAS in neutral. Somewhere along the way the dash screen told me to press "L" to put it into a 30 minute "tow mode", which allowed the car to roll. On the way out, with another car behind me getting closer and closer, I couldn't put the vehicle back into "D". I had to tap the brakes first before it would let me shift. Who knew that something I had done hundreds of times before in an ICE car would require such "tricks" to accomplish.
Thank you for the advice.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
People that have an older car where neutral does one thing and now have this car where you need neutral and 5 other steps. These people don't do research because they didn't have to before and no one told them
It's not 5 other steps, it's 1. After you put it in Neutral, press the L button. No research is necessary, because when you shift it to Neutral, a message pops up in the instrument cluster that literally tells you to press the L button to keep it in Neutral.

OP
OP
shark

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Similar thing happened to me in my old kia niro EV. I had the auto hold on, and took 30s to figure it out after some yelling from the attendent, "put it in neutral"

IMO, why do car manufacturers do that? Auto hold in neutral???
Right. If I shift my vehicle into neutral it means the car should be allowed to roll unless I have engaged the parking brake. It would be trivial for the engineers to disengage auto-hold automatically in this case - seems this would be the expected behavior and would be the least confusing for all customers.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag
On that same topic, auto hold should not be a remembered setting. My profile has auto hold, but wife doesn't.

So on occasion the car thinks she's driving when I am, and so it gets nerve wrecking when I expect auto hold at a stop and it doesn't!

Car does have quite a bit of bugs.

barryezl

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Another hazard to watch out for is that car washes can remove the rear wiper blade cover. I got a replacement under warranty but the mechanic said I should pop it off before each wash (which I now do). It's really simple - just pry the sides out a little and pull it straight off.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apparently you have to do research before you take the Mach-E to a car wash for the first time wiper-cover

19Mustang66

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
There are places you are not allowed to pump your own gas, odd that you didn't know that. ?
Oregon it’s illegal to pump your own gas. Attendant has to do it. Been that way the 36 years I’ve lived/driven here
There is a bill in OR house to change it
Sponsored