tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I'm on 1.60 still, so this may have something to do with it. Since I updated my iPhone to the latest IOS I've had some issues connecting reliably to wireless carplay. When it does connect to the car it connects to the wireless projection SSID, but... it tries to use that as an internet connection. I have to use my phone cable and turn off my wifi on my phone. Spotify etc works only after that. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I haven't had that problem. Have you tried iOS 15.0.2?

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I don't use wireless CarPlay at all because its too unreliable, unless the Lighting port is wet and I can't use the cable.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select (lease ended) Now 2023 GTPE
Country flag
I'm on 1.60 still, so this may have something to do with it. Since I updated my iPhone to the latest IOS I've had some issues connecting reliably to wireless carplay. When it does connect to the car it connects to the wireless projection SSID, but... it tries to use that as an internet connection. I have to use my phone cable and turn off my wifi on my phone. Spotify etc works only after that. Has anyone else had this problem?
Interesting, I’m on 15.01 as well (currently updating to .02). My large screen went blank and when I rebooted it I could no longer connect to my home (or any) WiFi network. A refresh showed no available networks. My phone showed it was connected to the projected SSID and I thought that this was normal for wireless carplay. When i disabled carplay my home network reappeared and it is now hit or miss if I can actually connect to it. Not sure what the issue is but I no longer automatically reconnect to my home network when I pull up to the house. I actually have a service appointment setup for next week as something is not right. I might add that I’m on 1.4 and have not received any OTA updates as of yet.

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Mach E Premium EX AWD (Dark Matter Gray)
Country flag
15.0.2 that just came out was supposed to help with this issue. I haven't yet tried it myself to verify.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK. Just tried with 15.0.2. Doesn’t correct the problem. I turned off app projection attached iPhone with cable and WiFi returned. So, question, if I turn off app projection is the only thing I lose wireless carplay? Or do I lose other functionality?

OP
OP
tfitzgex

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
I think if you have the 'other apps' such as alexa etc, on your phone that will also break.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m guessing this is effecting everyone who has updated their iPhone but not everyone is realizing it yet.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think if you have the 'other apps' such as alexa etc, on your phone that will also break.
OK. I don’t really use any of those apps and actually turning off projection might allow me to use my dash cam again.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I called it into the Ford In Car tech group and reported it. Its been escalated and they gave me a case number. For whatever that’s worth

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I'm on iOS 15.1 (Public Beta) currently and I haven't had a single issue with Wireless Carplay (on any version I've ran/updated to recently).

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm on iOS 15.1 (Public Beta) currently and I haven't had a single issue with Wireless Carplay (on any version I've ran/updated to recently).
To be clear, my carplay works fine. However when I use carplay I lose Wi-Fi connectivity. Have you noticed that at all?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
To be clear, my carplay works fine. However when I use carplay I lose Wi-Fi connectivity. Have you noticed that at all?
This has been my experience for a long time, perhaps since I got the car in April. CarPlay takes the wifi to connect to the car and loses connection to my home network. It's been happening so long I just assumed it was the price of using wireless CarPlay. Numerous versions of iOS over that time so definitely not new with 15.x.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Isn't that how CarPlay always works? I don't think Apple devices can connect to more than one WiFi network at a time. Or are you saying that your phone doesn't automatically reconnect to your home WiFi after you're done using CarPlay?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
This is working as intended - and has always been this way for Wireless Carplay.

When you use wireless Carplay your phone connects to the car via Wifi-Direct (It needs a bigger "pipe" to relay video). Since your phone only has one wifi chip - it can only connect to the Mach-E and nothing else. Which is why if you attempt to turn Wifi off while connected to Carplay, it'll warn you that Carplay will be disconnected.

If you really need to use a different wifi network while driving, you'll have to use Carplay via USB. I guess if you had a really cheap low-data cell plan and wanted to use a hotspot this would be a use case.
Sponsored