Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
I wanted to see how my new embossed pattern would look in high quality SLS processed TPU. I had a credit at JawsTec, so I went for it.
This is the raw finish and I like it even more than the vapor polished one (not shown).

For this test, I left the driver side ring on the underside, just to see if I could spoof the MagSafe logo into lighting up, but no.

That ring is useless on all accounts. I've already removed it from the design.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple MagSafe Passenger side charging mat 2898B28F-6D21-4761-B369-7603F61CC404
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple MagSafe Passenger side charging mat 6C51939B-8E80-4153-91E2-F1FAD3B3B145

Last edited:

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 f350 CCD 7.3, GT500, Gen1 Raptor, 2021 MME R1
Country flag
UPDATED: Prototyping is complete! Now to production!!!

Check out my updated design! It's a MagSafe charging mat for the passenger side of the Mustang Mach-E, but I have now added a driver side camera cutout.
I also added a cutout for a MagSafe "compatible" metal ring to keep the driver's phone planted when doing 0-60 in < 3.5 seconds. Haha!

These pictures show the prototype in flexible TPU. The final final will have a more matte finish and no visible 3D printing "artifacts."

Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple MagSafe Passenger side charging mat 6C51939B-8E80-4153-91E2-F1FAD3B3B145

The driver side isn't thick enough for a full-depth camera cutout, so 1 mm was the most I could manage. A 1 mm cutout wasn't going to do much, so I added a 2 mm raised lip around the camera cutout, which corresponds to the thickness of the lip on a stock Apple branded iPhone 13 case.
Even with the thickness limitations, my design improves upon the stock driver side mat by reducing the thickness by ~1.5 mm.

This approach should improve the driver side Qi charging for folks who have been having trouble with it on the stock mat.

This entire project is optimized for iPhone 13 (Pro), but will work for iPhone 12 (Pro) and probably older, but not the MAX-sized phones.

I repeat... This does not work with oversized phones. I did verify with an iPhone 13 MAX on the driver side. It's way too cramped and just won't work, given I had to cheat the center divider a few millimeters to the left (which was to accommodate the width of the passenger side iPhone 13).

(End of update...)

Prior design (for thread posterity)...

#iPhone #MagSafe #iMadeThat
Since your so close any interest in doing a mat that fits the 12pro max? Not worried about two phones.

Thank you
Josh

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wanted to see how my new embossed pattern would look in high quality SLS processed TPU. I had a credit at JawsTec, so I went for it.
This is the raw finish and I like it even more than the vapor polished one (not shown).
2898B28F-6D21-4761-B369-7603F61CC404.jpeg
6C51939B-8E80-4153-91E2-F1FAD3B3B145.jpeg
This looks great, for sale?

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Since your so close any interest in doing a mat that fits the 12pro max? Not worried about two phones.

Thank you
Josh
Just for the left side, to better hold it in position and regain about 1mm of separation from the stock charging mat?

Or a MagSafe for the right side for your size phone?

I purchased a case for an iPhone 13 Pro Max to size up the possibilities.

I expect if I made something for the iPhone 13 Pro Max it would be larger than for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and might just work in a pinch.

I'm looking forwards, not backwards. I won't likely be purchasing a case to size up the 12 series.

Meanwhile, two things to consider. The stock USB-C outlet only delivers about 7 to 8, watts.
It works, but it isn't really any faster than the left-side stock charger.
And the second thing is if you're using your phone for navigation the GPS reception is really poor down there.

So I am on the fence about the use of this mat vs. an alternative way to mount the phone up higher and use a third-party charger.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This looks great, for sale?
Not yet. I have a lead on local, made in USA injection molding outfits in the Motor City area (where I live), but I've been too busy and I'm already into, "It's the Holidays" mode... So I'll get that ball rolling in Mid-January. Thanks for your interest. =D

camdenlake

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 f350 CCD 7.3, GT500, Gen1 Raptor, 2021 MME R1
Country flag
Just for the left side, to better hold it in position and regain about 1mm of separation from the stock charging mat?

Or a MagSafe for the right side for your size phone?

I purchased a case for an iPhone 13 Pro Max to size up the possibilities.

I expect if I made something for the iPhone 13 Pro Max it would be larger than for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and might just work in a pinch.

I'm looking forwards, not backwards. I won't likely be purchasing a case to size up the 12 series.

Meanwhile, two things to consider. The stock USB-C outlet only delivers about 7 to 8, watts.
It works, but it isn't really any faster than the left-side stock charger.
And the second thing is if you're using your phone for navigation the GPS reception is really poor down there.

So I am on the fence about the use of this mat vs. an alternative way to mount the phone up higher and use a third-party charger.
Just a better mat the holds my phone properly with its case on. Not sure what the size difference is but the built in wireless charger is what i use its a little flaky but a better mat may work better.

Edit - Size appears to be basically the same as a 13pro Max

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Looks awesome!! Great job with the detail work.
Is there any way to replicate the texture of the existing mat?

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Looks awesome!! Great job with the detail work.
Is there any way to replicate the texture of the existing mat?
It may be beyond my the ability of my modeling software, or at least beyond my skills. :-/

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just a better mat the holds my phone properly with its case on. Not sure what the size difference is but the built in wireless charger is what i use its a little flaky but a better mat may work better.

Edit - Size appears to be basically the same as a 13pro Max
From what I can see, the iPhone 13 Pro Max in the Apple case fits already on the drivers side.
Key would be to keep your phone as far up and to the right as possible.
But from what I have heard, the wireless charging in the iPhone 12 series isn't as good as in the iPhone 13 series, so most likely when you are ready to upgrade the phone, that will have the most positive effect, here. No other mat needed in that case.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag

krazieboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
very nice idea. I use a magsafe wireless charger for my andriod due to the way my grip is. i got a metal ring on there and it works well.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Bitchen solution, amazing what people can do that are far smarter than I :)

Justmikeyd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MachE GTPE // ‘20 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Office Dweller
Did you ever get these to a point of production/sale?

zoidbb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021Mach-E Premium; 2022 Mach-E GTPE on order
I have a deep, deep need for this. The stock charging mat sucks balls.
Sponsored