Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Nice! Oh ya it varies widely by model. I’d go with the 13 Pro as a template, that one is the biggest so far. It would also helps with my biggest problems, the phone slipping back when I press hard on the accelerator ?
Haha! I just realized that while I can't make the left side camera reservoir any deeper, I could add a raised lip around it without elevating the phone off the pad any farther than the camera already causes it to be raised. That would help keep the phone in place on the driver's side.

I'll add that.
Sponsored

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Haha! I just realized that while I can't make the left side camera reservoir any deeper, I could add a raised lip around it without elevating the phone off the pad any farther than the camera already causes it to be raised. That would help keep the phone in place on the driver's side.

I'll add that.
Sweet!! Out of curiosity what material are you going to print this with? Will it still be the rubbery texture? Also, I know you’re only in the prototyping phase, but will you add the diamond style pattern that the stock one has?

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If there is sufficient demand, I could look into taking advantage of the 10º taper and raise the whole assembly up enough to widen it to make room for two MagSafe chargers, left and right. It should be possible to accommodate an iPhone 13 MAX on the left and an iPhone 13 (regular) on the right.
Raising it up would allow room for a driver side Apple branded MagSafe charger without conflict from the Ford charging unit. Such an approach would definitely allow the MAX on left + regular on right combination, but unlikely to accommodate a MAX + MAX configuration (to confirm if/when I have more time).

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Sweet!! Out of curiosity what material are you going to print this with? Will it still be the rubbery texture? Also, I know you’re only in the prototyping phase, but will you add the diamond style pattern that the stock one has?
It will be rubbery/flexible. I have to work on a dimpled finish. I don't know that I would try to replicate the stock "diamond" pattern. I mean I like it. I just don't want Ford lawyers breathing down my neck. LOL

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It will be rubbery/flexible. I have to work on a dimpled finish. I don't know that I would try to replicate the stock "diamond" pattern. I mean I like it. I just don't want Ford lawyers breathing down my neck. LOL
Nice!! I wouldn’t worry too much about Ford saying anything. Just search Mustang on Etsy. People sell tons of things using the full Mustang and Mach-E logos. Can’t imagine they would care about a texture.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Nice!! I wouldn’t worry too much about Ford saying anything. Just search Mustang on Etsy. People sell tons of things using the full Mustang and Mach-E logos. Can’t imagine they would care about a texture.
Thanks for the encouragement! First I need to learn how to add a knurl to a surface in Fusion 360. LOL

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the encouragement! First I need to learn how to add a knurl to a surface in Fusion 360. LOL
Wish I could help you there, not sure. Keep up the great work though. Love this kind of innovation!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@AEtherScythe One comment based on the pic you posted to the FB groups. Maybe put the ring for the left side charger on the underside of the mat? Either way, are you concerned it’s going to pull the mat up when you life the phone?

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@AEtherScythe One comment based on the pic you posted to the FB groups. Maybe put the ring for the left side charger on the underside of the mat? Either way, are you concerned it’s going to pull the mat up when you life the phone?
That's a great idea, to make it fool-proof re: eventual failure of the 3M double-sided sticky backing.
I could totally do that. Only downside is that during prototyping it will require support when printing, but shouldn't be a problem for vacuum injection molding.

The ring is completely optional, and I haven't figured out where best to source them, but like to keep the cutout as an option and putting it on the bottom will be more aesthetically pleasing either way.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
P.S. I updated the pics in the O/P at the top of the thread, yesterday.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
putting it on the bottom will be more aesthetically pleasing
Ya that’s what I was hoping. The camera cutout should be enough to keep it in place, so the ring might not be needed. Also I’ve used those metal rings on previous phones and they all eventually let go. I love this idea, keep up the good work!

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ya that’s what I was hoping. The camera cutout should be enough to keep it in place, so the ring might not be needed. Also I’ve used those metal rings on previous phones and they all eventually let go. I love this idea, keep up the good work!
After putting hundreds of miles on a test without the driver side ring, I've determined it's superfluous, so I'm eliminating it.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Let there be TEXTURE!!! =D =D =D

https://a360.co/3HYYLvb

Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple MagSafe Passenger side charging mat ECC84588-CDF0-4B64-A176-4E6008B20702
I definitely don't think you need the ring for the driver's side, my phone currently doesn't move much. I would be super interested if you're able to raise the dividers separating all 3 spaces? Or what about just eliminating it entirely so it is just one flat mat? They're never high enough to actually help much?