John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
There are some big improvements for Apple Maps In IOS 15 according to the reviews.
I've been using it since Beta 1. The updates are pretty tremendous, but I haven't seen or heard about much that's going to change the price of tea in CarPlay, unless the nice 3D renderings of certain cities get dropped onto the CarPlay display as well. I've still seen nothing about "oh, you're driving an EV, so let me add chargers" like we all would want. Apple just needs to buy and integrate features from ABRP.
Sponsored

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So, how exactly do I check to see whether an update is available?
on the screen in your car - go to Settings > System Updates. I have version 1.6.0

2665BB35-A722-474F-98FB-1A38C2D25612.jpeg

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure why yours is different. Actually, I was a little surprised that mine did show the latest version #. I know that it’s been a couple of weeks since my last update because I was notified in the FordPass App when it occurred.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple Maps directions coming to instrument cluster via OTA update D16E1E13-B2A7-474D-8C1E-40CF16753BDB

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure why yours is different. Actually, I was a little surprised that mine did show the latest version #. I know that it’s been a couple of weeks since my last update because I was notified in the FordPass App when it occurred.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple Maps directions coming to instrument cluster via OTA update D16E1E13-B2A7-474D-8C1E-40CF16753BDB
Thanks Paul.

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been using it since Beta 1. The updates are pretty tremendous, but I haven't seen or heard about much that's going to change the price of tea in CarPlay, unless the nice 3D renderings of certain cities get dropped onto the CarPlay display as well. I've still seen nothing about "oh, you're driving an EV, so let me add chargers" like we all would want. Apple just needs to buy and integrate features from ABRP.
It sounds like Apple is waiting on Ford. Hopefully, per Ford’s Press Release, this will happen soon.

Electric vehicle routing in Maps: how it works
If you own an electric car, the Apple Maps electric vehicle routing feature helps eliminate range anxiety. Not only does it track the current charge of your electric car, but also factors in parameters like elevation and weather to automatically add charging stops along your route.

How to add stops along your route in Apple Maps

Electric vehicle routing requires a compatible vehicle. Apple is working with a number of car manufactures on initial support for this feature, including BMW and Ford. The company is working to sign up many more partners in the near future to expand this feature.

When you’re planning a trip with an electric vehicle, Maps automatically adds charging stops along your route and accounts for charging time when calculating the ETA,” writes Apple.

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
It sounds like Apple is waiting on Ford. Hopefully, per Ford’s Press Release, this will happen soon.

Electric vehicle routing in Maps: how it works
If you own an electric car, the Apple Maps electric vehicle routing feature helps eliminate range anxiety. Not only does it track the current charge of your electric car, but also factors in parameters like elevation and weather to automatically add charging stops along your route.

How to add stops along your route in Apple Maps

Electric vehicle routing requires a compatible vehicle. Apple is working with a number of car manufactures on initial support for this feature, including BMW and Ford. The company is working to sign up many more partners in the near future to expand this feature.

When you’re planning a trip with an electric vehicle, Maps automatically adds charging stops along your route and accounts for charging time when calculating the ETA,” writes Apple.
Yeah, this came from WWDC 2020, not 2021, so it's already been a year and that makes my hopes for this to come anytime soon a little lower. That said, even before that they added CarPlay support for the instrument cluster, and Ford is JUST getting around to integrating that, so maybe we'll see it. Eventually.

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, this came from WWDC 2020, not 2021, so it's already been a year and that makes my hopes for this to come anytime soon a little lower. That said, even before that they added CarPlay support for the instrument cluster, and Ford is JUST getting around to integrating that, so maybe we'll see it. Eventually.
Ford’s response would be: “Coming Soon in an OTA Update”. Maybe it will come with the “Blue Cruise” update.

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Apple just needs to buy and integrate features from ABRP.
Be careful with your wishes. I remember couple of stories when Apple bought developers and made apps available only on iOS:
1) Test Flight.
2) Dark Sky.

OP
OP
JohnnyForensic

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Be careful with your wishes. I remember couple of stories when Apple bought developers and made apps available only on iOS:
1) Test Flight.
2) Dark Sky.
Good point.

I'm an iOS diehard through and through though, so.... :)

(I get your point. I'm just being cheeky.)

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I assume the only thing keeping Google Maps from working in Apple CarPlay on the instrument cluster is an update from Apple or Google.
In my Mach-E Google maps works via CarPlay on the big screen. When there is a mobile signal it works well and can be trusted whereas the in built sat nav is pretty useless and untrustworthy.

pooter03

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have a love/hate relationship with Apple Maps. It at least understands that my parking lot at work is attached to the correct road. Google maps keeps trying to route me to the closest road to my parking spot, despite that requiring me to drive through a razor wire fence, across 3 sets of railroad tracks, and through another fence. Everything else is worse, but since I drive to work 5 days a week, I tend to use Apple maps on most days.
I switched from Google Maps to Apple Maps full time starting last year, and haven't had any problems with it in the NY/NJ/PA areas. It is much better than it was for the first 5 or so years of its life.

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I much prefer Apple Mays over Google Maps because of the way Google Maps handles Favorite Destinations. I despise how Google Maps names my favorite destinations and will not allow me to rename them.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
In my Mach-E Google maps works via CarPlay on the big screen. When there is a mobile signal it works well and can be trusted whereas the in built sat nav is pretty useless and untrustworthy.
Right but I mean the smaller screen, here’s hoping Google Maps on CarPlay eventually works there.

Rex

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-Ex
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Right but I mean the smaller screen, here’s hoping Google Maps on CarPlay eventually works there.
Ahh the heads up screen at the steering wheel. OK understood. I also miss having the details of the music I'm playing being shown at the same time as navigating..
Sponsored