Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a love/hate relationship with Apple Maps. It at least understands that my parking lot at work is attached to the correct road. Google maps keeps trying to route me to the closest road to my parking spot, despite that requiring me to drive through a razor wire fence, across 3 sets of railroad tracks, and through another fence. Everything else is worse, but since I drive to work 5 days a week, I tend to use Apple maps on most days.
Google maps is the base that everyone strives for. Sat view, street view, easy to map out trips with multiple destinations. Not a big google fan duckduck but the map app PC to Phone to Car feature is hard to beat. I do not use nav too much but have traveled the world via sat and street view.

Just add another destination to your trip at the turn into your lot. Not sure why you need nav to get to work but the workaround is there in the app and you can force it to go anyway you want. When I map out a loop (start and stop at the same place) adding destinations is required.
Sponsored

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Does OTA require WIFI? I'm still battling connecting mine to the home wifi.
I got the 1.4.0 update while parked at a hotel, without wifi. More recently I got 1.6.0 parked in my garage on wifi. I think for really large updates wifi will be better, and may actually be required. But so far, the updates seems to be small enough it is not necessary. I would expect Blue Cruise to be so large you would need wifi.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Apple Maps? So not the two nav apps that folks actually use?? ?
Not having those directions in the instrument cluster is WHY I don’t use Apple Maps. Or, more accurately, a large part of why I don’t use Apple Maps in my Mach-E.

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
Serious question: do you have actual turn arrows, or just a blue rectangle that displays when there is an approaching turn?
I have the turn arrows and a checkered flag at the end. I don't think there's a little car icon though.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Google maps is the base that everyone strives for. Sat view, street view, easy to map out trips with multiple destinations. Not a big google fan duckduck but the map app PC to Phone to Car feature is hard to beat. I do not use nav too much but have traveled the world via sat and street view.

Just add another destination to your trip at the turn into your lot. Not sure why you need nav to get to work but the workaround is there in the app and you can force it to go anyway you want. When I map out a loop (start and stop at the same place) adding destinations is required.
Nav gives me live traffic

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Android Auto gives you instrument cluster directions from any app. My guess is the article should have more accurately said "carplay navigation". Again this is just speculation but my guess is Waze/google maps would work too.

Serious question: do you have actual turn arrows, or just a blue rectangle that displays when there is an approaching turn?
If it's anything like Android Auto it shows the next direction with an arrow and a distance. Behaves identically to using built-in nav, except it doesn't show total distance left in the trip by the battery range

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I have the turn arrows and a checkered flag at the end. I don't think there's a little car icon though.
I think the little car you're seeing there in the F-150 is the co-pilot 360 system (acc, lane keep, etc). If that's the case, we do too, but just off to the right

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
If it is like Android Auto, once the function is working it will work with other mapping apps as well like Google Maps, Waze, and A Better Route Planner.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I have a love/hate relationship with Apple Maps. It at least understands that my parking lot at work is attached to the correct road. Google maps keeps trying to route me to the closest road to my parking spot, despite that requiring me to drive through a razor wire fence, across 3 sets of railroad tracks, and through another fence. Everything else is worse, but since I drive to work 5 days a week, I tend to use Apple maps on most days.
I have that issue with the onboard nav vs the two google products which are correct. That's just a map data issue though.

Having the directions in the instrument panel would be nice but not a huge deal for me. I do hope you guys are correct in that it should have said "carplay" instead of "apple maps" and Gmaps/Waze get the same function from an iphone.

Last edited:

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I already get voice alerts for both the Ford Nav and Apple Maps, so not sure how excited I really am for having one more cue in front of me.

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
The real question is will the car feed charge data to Apple Maps so it can auto-route us to charging stations? If so this is great but will still mean we need to use exclusively sync for traveling beyond a day’s range, or risk running out of charge.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Wonder if the 5% didn't install the updates due to instal errors or not being bothered (I thought auto-install updates was the default)?
I assume this 5% also includes those who haven't opted to enable connected services. For example, those that don't ever want to install FordPass or link the vehicle to it, and those who don't want the car connected out of privacy or security concerns.

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are some big improvements for Apple Maps In IOS 15 according to the reviews.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So have I but It should show an update is available (I check every few days to see if there is one available anyway). Maybe they live in areas that have bad mobile signal.
So, how exactly do I check to see whether an update is available?