Apple will reportedly start building an EV with a "breakthrough" battery in 2024

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Given Apple's track record with iPhone battery performance, life, and the way those force planned product obsolescence, I'll give their car a pass.
If you’ve been following what Apple has been doing in the chip space with their new M1 MacBook, you’d see where there is possibility. Not to mention their focus on coprocessors dedicated to certain tasks that make the whole widget that much more effective and efficient.

Reactions: pb3

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Those were products they pioneered that (for the most part) didn't exist before.
Yeah they are probably more closely related but when Apple released the iPhone, you had several companies that made statements like “a computer company has no idea what it takes to make a cell phone”.

A couple of those companies are gone now.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Yeah they are probably more closely related but when Apple released the iPhone, you had several companies that made statements like “a computer company has no idea what it takes to make a cell phone”.
And of course, Apple hired lots and lots of auto folk. All of the Apple employees that I personally know came from Ford and GM.

First Edition

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E - Failure To Launch Edition
Country flag
We have been hearing this for years, but I am thinking that this is just clickbait, but who knows, stranger things have happened. Would you be interested in an Apple car? I'm a big Apple guy, but not so sure about a car.
https://evbite.com/apple-electric-car-rumored-to-debut-in-2024/
True, and that should frighten Tesla, and the rest of the industry for that matter.

The actual production will be handled by a contractor, like their phones, but the development is pure Apple. I wonder if it will have Android Auto in it. Ha.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

A couple of those companies are gone now.
If they did they were being naive saying that, because a smartphone is 80% computer and 20% phone. It's a computer with a phone added in.

Conversely, a BEV is only 20% computer and 80% car.

It's FAR easier for a car company to build a solid BEV than it is for a computer company to build a solid BEV. Case in point: It took Ford 3 years to build the Mach-E completely from scratch. It took Tesla nearly a decade to build truly viable BEVs. Rivian's been at it for 11 years and still doesn't have a product for sale yet.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If they did they were being naive saying that, because a smartphone is 80% computer and 20% phone. It's a computer with a phone added in.

Conversely, a BEV is only 20% computer and 80% car.

It's FAR easier for a car company to build a solid BEV than it is for a computer company to build a solid BEV. Case in point: It took Ford 3 years to build the Mach-E completely from scratch. It took Tesla nearly a decade to build truly viable BEVs. Rivian's been at it for 11 years and still doesn't have a product for sale yet.
And Ford didn't have to start the funding by selling $250,000 cars.
Sponsored