Are chip shortages causing delays in shipping “built” Mach-e’s?

NWgolfer

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord hybrid that will be sold soon
Country flag
My Mache-e‘s build date was 12/6/21 and Ford spent me an email confirming that my Mustang was being shipped and should arrive in Seattle 1/16/22-1/22/22. I used the Macheforum tracker to find that the car had arrived in Kansas City on January 7, 2022—so I figured I was due for a delivery in late January. Then I got an update message today that stated that in order to ”ensure my complete satisfaction, we will require additional time before your 2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium is delivered” to your dealer” pushing out the delivery date until March 28, 2022 to April 3, 2022!! When I spoke to the dealer today, he confirmed the car’s location in Kansas City, but he could not undrstand why the delivery date would be delayed another two months? The only thing I could guess is that the car is lacking critical hardware chips needed for full software functionality..and safe driving. Has anyone had this same delay imposed in December builds and gotten any rationale for this late manufacturing discrepancy?
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Mache-e‘s build date was 12/6/21 and Ford spent me an email confirming that my Mustang was being shipped and should arrive in Seattle 1/16/22-1/22/22. I used the Macheforum tracker to find that the car had arrived in Kansas City on January 7, 2022—so I figured I was due for a delivery in late January. Then I got an update message today that stated that in order to ”ensure my complete satisfaction, we will require additional time before your 2021 Mustang Mach-e Premium is delivered” to your dealer” pushing out the delivery date until March 28, 2022 to April 3, 2022!! When I spoke to the dealer today, he confirmed the car’s location in Kansas City, but he could not undrstand why the delivery date would be delayed another two months? The only thing I could guess is that the car is lacking critical hardware chips needed for full software functionality..and safe driving. Has anyone had this same delay imposed in December builds and gotten any rationale for this late manufacturing discrepancy?
That’s unreal, I wonder if there was any metal damage that they have to have fixed at a body shop. Something is very strange for such a delay.

or their are other major issues which ford has kept us in the dark

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The short answer to your chip question is YES.

There are a myriad of other things that could have happened too, including an overly pessimistic delay letter, severe damage to the car requiring it to be rebuilt. Minor damage requiring a repair, and on and on.

Given what others have experienced, I’d suspect a chip shortage coupled with an overly pessimistic delay letter.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The short answer to your chip question is YES.

There are a myriad of other things that could have happened too, including an overt pessimistic delay letter, severe damage yo the car requiring it to be rebuilt. Minor damage requiring a repair, and on and on.

Given what others have experienced, I’d suspect a chip shortage coupled with an overly pessimistic delay letter.
What I don’t understand is why they are shipping the cars without chips and then having them installed elsewhere.

cars are being held up at the factory for chips, right? At least mine and others have.

in his case I would think it’s something else.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
What I don’t understand is why they are shipping the cars without chips and then having them installed elsewhere.

cars are being held up at the factory for chips, right? At least mine and others have.

They’ve held cars in Kansas City in the past for various chips. They may also be short on space at the factory, the school kids might want to use the soccer field next to the plant for … oh … soccer?

Could be something else too.

dwee415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber blue Mach E GT non-performance
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I have a 1/06/22 production date and I'm a confirmed chip hold. Mine is still "in production" and not officially built yet. Mine is still in Mexico as far as I know. For January builds, I don't think they're being shipped without the chips. Yours is probably something else. When I called Ford Customer Care, they were able to look up really quickly that I'm on a chip hold.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag

(1) It speeds the final delivery. Chips are small and shipped reasonably cost effectively to meet the car somewhere for (assuming) a relatively not so complex field install. If Ford holds the car at the plant in Mexico awaiting them, when the chips finally show up it is just that much longer to get the car delivered to the dealer. (2) Storage. Versus looking for space around the Mexico manufacturing plant and paying to keep cars in a warehouse, Ford gets “warehousing” for a period of time for essentially free while cars are on trucks/rails.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
(1) It speeds the final delivery. Chips are small and shipped reasonably cost effectively to meet the car somewhere for (assuming) a relatively not so complex field install. If Ford holds the car at the plant in Mexico awaiting them, when the chips finally show up it is just that much longer to get the car delivered to the dealer. (2) Storage. Versus looking for space around the Mexico manufacturing plant and paying to keep cars in a warehouse, Ford gets “warehousing” for a period of time for essentially free while cars are on trucks/rails.
I understand all that but it still doesn’t make sense, they have been sitting for 6 weeks in Mexico waiting for chips and now all of a sudden they are shipping without chips. And depending on where they go I wouldn’t want a truck driver installing them.

something else is going on that we aren’t aware of

SpongeBad

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MACH E, 2013 Ford Escape
Country flag
I understand all that but it still doesn’t make sense, they have been sitting for 6 weeks in Mexico waiting for chips and now all of a sudden they are shipping without chips. And depending on where they go I wouldn’t want a truck driver installing them.

Maybe it's the seatbelt issue that was described recently? I could see cars being built, shipped and then caught as part of the recall before delivery. I would expect it'd be easier just to ship to the dealer and have them apply the fix on their end, though...

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag

Why on earth would you think a truck driver would be installing the chips? They've been doing this since last summer at least. The logistics clearly make more sense to Ford than they do to you.

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
Truck drivers drive trucks. Ford personnel install the lacking modules and chips.
There's a shortage of truck drivers right now because they're all too busy fixing cars at ports of entry! There couldn't possibly be facilities to inspect vehicles and address issues at these depots that existed since the first cars ever passed through...back when chips only came with sandwiches.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag

I can assure you there are LOTS of things going on that we are not aware of. This is not a Ford thing, or an automotive thing. Shortages are in every major industry. Speaking as a long time supply chain professional, I can tell you that our team deals with more supply constraints in 5 days than we would experience pre-pandemic in a 5 year period. Maybe 10 years. No exaggeration… the amount of supply chain issues is staggering and unlike anything this generation and several prior have ever experienced. Chips and electronic components are especially bonkers. (as an aside, also usually not too hard to have a trained technician knocking out installing them across a lot of units… at least that is what we and our suppliers have experienced). Good news is the quantity of issues out there seems to be objectively improving; bad news is the ones remaining are more acute and difficult to solve.

I think the World Economic Forum predictions are pretty accurate based on my personal experiences and perspective… another probably 3 years or so of uneven recovery, 2 steps forward 1 step back, various hotspots of issues unpredictably popping up. New buzzword phrase you will be hearing from execs for years is now “resilient supply chain” and what everyone is seeking to build. More inventory, multiple qualified sources, supply chain control tower visibility across various levels of the supply base, etc. A good goal but is going to take significant investment of people, cash, and time… and much easier said than done.

With regard to the specific situation you note… that cars are held without chips at the Mexico plant, then released for shipment but also still without chips… I can envision a pretty basic and plausible reason why this would be the case. My assumption is that they are timing shipment of the cars to match up with expected arrival of the chips at a rework point. No sense shipping the cars too early and have them stack up at another node in the chain. (Though with so many late/missed chip shipments… if the chips don’t show up when expected there could still be further delays).

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why on earth would you think a truck driver would be installing the chips? They've been doing this since last summer at least. The logistics clearly make more sense to Ford than they do to you.
Lighten up, I was kidding around. Judging by what I read here, most people haven’t been impressed with some of what Ford is doing