Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If Ford has a problem selling Mach-Es because they are no longer the new hotness and the economy has cooled, then they just need to unlock the performance of the GTPE to get everyone excited again.
Or activate my Frunk button in my Job 1 2021. That will help sales!
Sponsored

curtisfinney

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60, Subaru Forestor, 2023 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
I don’t know for certain.

I’m a chemical engineer who was worked on several chemical engineering capital projects. We do failure mode effects analyses and what ifs focused on safety. Everything is considered.

While Tesla is not the gold standard for safety, but there is no way this is an accident in design. They designed the car and the charging stations. They clearly are intentional here in forcing people to back in park to charge and this has eliminated an unknown number of parking lot collisions.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
I applaud Tesla for forcing their customers to back end park to charge. It’s clear this was a conscious decision on their part.
It was? How do you know this? Because there are possible engineering/design considerations that may have put the charge port at the rear of the vehicle.
there may have been more than one consideration but this (from ch 13 in tim higgins's book "Power Play: Tesla, Elon Musk, and the Bet of the Century") may have been the final one:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Are MME sales this bad? Screenshot_20230608-100615

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
there may have been more than one consideration but this (from ch 13 in tim higgins's book "Power Play: Tesla, Elon Musk, and the Bet of the Century") may have been the final one:

That’s where my EVSE is as well. I entirely approve of the Oracle of Pretoria’s EVSE placement at his former residence. ;)

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Edmunds has a good accounting for total dealer inventory. I find their figures accurate when I compare what they list vs select Chicago dealers.

They show 1,700 MME vs 39,500 in 2022 sales, implying 15 days of demand (backward looking). This is not a problem. Fully stocked inventory levels in the auto industry average 60 days.

Must have been a slow news day to invent problems to debate!
Compared to the EV6, Kia sold 20,500 vehicles in 2022 and currently has 1,200 vehicles in stock, which implies 21 days of supply. So MME is doing better by a week (33%).

curtisfinney

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60, Subaru Forestor, 2023 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
That’s where my EVSE is as well. I entirely approve of the Oracle of Pretoria’s EVSE placement at his former residence. ;)
Well I was right it was intentional, but my reasons were completely wrong, unless Elon backs in for the same reasons - I back in for safety and ease of departure - my garage faces an alley.

I installed my home charger in a spot in that requires backend parking.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Well, I just got mine and I don't even think about HVBJB failures the way you early adopters obviously do, having been through that issue. I suppose that's understandable.

What about all the other "backer-inners" in ICE vehicles? I was really talking about that. Drives me nuts when they make me think they are passing the parking spot by driving past it, then get all twisted in a knot that somehow I'm in their way when they suddenly stop and want to back up into it. As if I'm supposed to read their mind. :rolleyes:
I just came back from japan, and all their drivers back in to parking spaces. Makes it easier to pull out. I think we Americans lack the skills to back into tight spots. Hence we pull in.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
To me specs would also include driver display. Model Y and Model 3 do not have. Yes the size is about the same but in my opinion the Display in the "normal spot" is important.
2nd If your main screen goes down in a Ford you can still drive the car. Physical selector for drive and Display for speed. Can you Drive a model Y if your display goes out?
How often does the screen go out On a Tesla?
it‘s wierd at first not having a display right in front of you, but you quickly get used to it. when driving you intuitively know how fast your driving and if you really need to know your speed it’s a glance to the right. benefit on not having a front display is that you have a clearer view of the road and air vents that blow straight at you.

I do miss physical controls though.

everyone have their must have options. But apparently with how many model y and 3 they sold, people can live without the driver display.

new to mach-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e select
Country flag
Yes, sales are bad. I sold my first Mach-e end of November '22, second one showed up early February '23 and I refused delivery as the Tesla price war was just starting. I assumed they would sell my second MAch-e quickly, since it was the only one in stock at the dealer for couple months. To this day, my second Mach-e sits unsold at the dealer, along another ~ten or so that now make it company.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I don’t know for certain.

I’m a chemical engineer who was worked on several chemical engineering capital projects. We do failure mode effects analyses and what ifs focused on safety. Everything is considered.

While Tesla is not the gold standard for safety, but there is no way this is an accident in design. They designed the car and the charging stations. They clearly are intentional here in forcing people to back in park to charge and this has eliminated an unknown number of parking lot collisions.
I always wondered why several Teslas at work had vehicle centered dents in their trunk lids/rear bumpers. Then I saw this picture on Reddit and suddenly it all made sense. I'll keep my radar sensors.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Are MME sales this bad? ozjd3mhilq0b1

Last edited:

PicoR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium 4X
Country flag
To some an auto is an appliance; to others like me an auto is more. I live near Tesla of St Louis and the 'cookie cutter cars' buzz around the area at a nauseating rate. Like refrigerators....they all come in a few common colors...they all share parts...and they all look alike (until closer inspection may reveal significant differences in fit and finish).

Yes, Tesla is less expensive than the MME. But I paid a lot less than an Audi, M-B, or Porsche.

IMO, Tesla is a battery company...not a car company.
Tesla has been a carbon offset company seller...

Every time I pass a MY or 3, I know I'll never put one in our garage.

NeighSayer11

First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang GT, 2003 MR2 Spyder, '23 MME GT
Country flag
I’d compare it to something more relevant, like the ev6.
I'm talking about inventory numbers at dealer lots, there was an article regarding Jeep Compass or Renegade being so bad to sell that dealers have 2 years worth of inventory out there. If we want to use an example of a car no one wants.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I'm talking about inventory numbers at dealer lots, there was an article regarding Jeep Compass or Renegade being so bad to sell that dealers have 2 years worth of inventory out there. If we want to use an example of a car no one wants.
Yea, but the MME’s numbers are well below industry average so a conclusion that another vehicle is way worse is not that compelling. It would be different if the MME was sitting at one year and we say Jeep is worse at two years.
Sponsored