Are premium AWD extended battery slowest to build ?

wavyphotons

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER 2022
Country flag
Hi folks,

It seems that Ford is prioritizing later orders of GT / GTPE over Premium and specifically Premium AWD extended battery - is that really true ? Wonder if it's because of profit and/or parts shortage.

I see reports of people getting their GTs much sooner and based on the sheet we have, people who ordered P-AWD-ER in Oct/Nov are now finally getting build dates - I ordered in Jan , so trying to get a rough sense of when I will get mine - I know there's a lot of randomness in how Ford is allocating vehicles, but seems like best case scenario for me will be Sep-Oct build date and Nov-Dec delivery.

Thanks!
Sponsored

napajeff22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Mustang GT, 22 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Retired Auto parts salesperson
Country flag
My Prem AWD EXT was ordered on 10/4/21. Finally built week of 7/4/22. Est delivery week of 08/15/22. Saw many GTā€™s built much faster.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
I'd say your estimates are reasonable based on the current production timelines we've been experiencing.

Corwin

First Name
Corwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mazda CX-5, 2022 Mach-E Premium Ordered
Country flag
Itā€™s hard to say. There were a number of Premium AWD ER Space White trims ordered as late as April 2022 that were scheduled June and have either been delivered are are en-route to their dealerships.

It seems to be a combination of ā€˜Right dealership, right trim combination, right timeā€¦ā€™.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
1. I have a GTPE order. Itā€™s a late order (4/5/22), so Iā€™m not holding my breath.
2. Supply chain could be a valid differentiator. Obviously, there are differences between AWD (Select and Premium) and GTā€™s:
- Motors
- Body - Bumpers, Rockers
- Interior - Seats, Trim (Some models do not have B&O stereo
- And new possibility - HVBJB

CORRECTION (Thanks @DevSecOps ):
NK4Z-10C666-C is for RWD and it replaces NK4Z-10C666-A and NK4Z-10C666-B
LK9Z-10C666-C / LK9Z-10C666-B fits both the AWD and the GT and it replaces LK9Z-10C666-A. The -B and -C versions are one in the same. This has been confirmed by Ford.

Either way, any number of supply constraints could be dictating what gets built.
They may also be grouping cars by color to minimize Paint Shop color changes.

Last edited:

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
My Prem AWD EXT was ordered on 10/4/21. Finally built week of 7/4/22. Est delivery week of 08/15/22. Saw many GTā€™s built much faster.
dd0.jpg

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Hi folks,

It seems that Ford is prioritizing later orders of GT / GTPE over Premium and specifically Premium AWD extended battery - is that really true ? Wonder if it's because of profit and/or parts shortage.

I see reports of people getting their GTs much sooner and based on the sheet we have, people who ordered P-AWD-ER in Oct/Nov are now finally getting build dates - I ordered in Jan , so trying to get a rough sense of when I will get mine - I know there's a lot of randomness in how Ford is allocating vehicles, but seems like best case scenario for me will be Sep-Oct build date and Nov-Dec delivery.

Thanks!
I think it's probably as simple as the fact that the Premium appears to be more or less a US-specific vehicle and there are less batches, whereas GTs are sold everywhere else. I know there were a bunch of Canadian cars in my build week.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Hi folks,

Thanks!
Not that this helps, but, our Space White 4X was ordered 5/21/21, built 8/30, chip hold til 9/29, then on train/truck and delivered to dealer on 10/28/21. And we even optioned the summer tires for $250 šŸ¤£

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Itā€™s hard to say. There were a number of Premium AWD ER Space White trims ordered as late as April 2022 that were scheduled June and have either been delivered are are en-route to their dealerships.

It seems to be a combination of ā€˜Right dealership, right trim combination, right timeā€¦ā€™.
I think thatā€™s right and the key is that if you are ordering an AWD ER Premium, it is much more likely that there is a bunch of people ahead of you who have ordered that exact same configuration because of its popularity.

lucky13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Had I know this when I ordered in February I would have just gone with a GT.

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
I'm hoping that the order gets pushed back far enought that they make it a 2023 model. I'm actually not in a rush to get my car. Driving a nice car now. Whenever it gets here is ok

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Yes. There are a few theories why. First, it's the most popular trim. Second, someone on here noted that the glass roof takes some extra manufacturing steps, such that two or three other vehicles can move on to the next step in manufacturing in the time it takes to get the glass roof in. It's an interesting thought, and might explain why Select (which doesn't have a glass roof) and GT (which does not have a glass roof as an option, which also seems to be a reason why many choose it) seem to have faster turnaround times. We'd need more data from the GT folks about whether they had the glass roof or not to know how credible that theory is, though.

It did seem like a lot of the premiums were held back and then all scheduled in quick succession, though, so who knows... Could be the microchip shortage and trying to prioritize the highest trim, with the select getting by because it required a bit less.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Hi folks,

Thanks!
It seems to be true. GTs are faster. But I can't complain much. Premium AWD ER ordered on 12/30, it's scheduled to arrive at dealer this week, exactly 30 weeks later.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes. There are a few theories why. First, it's the most popular trim. Second, someone on here noted that the glass roof takes some extra manufacturing steps, such that two or three other vehicles can move on to the next step in manufacturing in the time it takes to get the glass roof in. It's an interesting thought, and might explain why Select (which doesn't have a glass roof) and GT (which does not have a glass roof as an option, which also seems to be a reason why many choose it) seem to have faster turnaround times. We'd need more data from the GT folks about whether they had the glass roof or not to know how credible that theory is, though.

It did seem like a lot of the premiums were held back and then all scheduled in quick succession, though, so who knows... Could be the microchip shortage and trying to prioritize the highest trim, with the select getting by because it required a bit less.
I don't think it's the glass roof. Two Premium orders of mine took 10+ months.

My GTPE with glass roof + BC order took 5 months (but due to weird parts hold sat in Mexico for two months). And friend who order his GTPE (also glass roof with BC) in April has his built this week (that's 3 months to build).

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi folks,

Thanks!
We ordered our Premium AWD Extended range 11/20/2021 it was built 03/23/2022 and received it 05/07/2022
Sponsored