Are rear seats supposed to have ambient lighting too?

rafpug

First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 -| Mach E, EX, RWD, Star White
Country flag
Just picked up my wifes Mach E yesterday and we are very excited!

My question is, does the rear seats suppose to have ambient lighting too? I noticed that the rear doesn't light up and went thru the setting to see if it was off, but i couldn't find it.

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-galleries/mach-e/

If you look at pics 11 and 21, It seems that there should be ambient lighting in the rear. I know these are pre production pictures and many things dont make it to final design. Just curious if other owners have lighting in the back similar to fords official pics.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It does show in pic 11; cost savings? The settings explained in the manual are pretty minimum.

1. Access the vehicle drawer on the touchscreen.
2. Press SETTINGS.
3. Press Ambient Light.

Is there toggles on that screen for back, front, both? Or just what they highlight in the manual? Can you see a LED in the back door storage (front where it is working for reference). Congrats on being one of the early lucky ones.

Reactions: UW2

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just picked up my wifes Mach E yesterday and we are very excited!

My question is, does the rear seats suppose to have ambient lighting too? I noticed that the rear doesn't light up and went thru the setting to see if it was off, but i couldn't find it.

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-galleries/mach-e/

If you look at pics 11 and 21, It seems that there should be ambient lighting in the rear. I know these are pre production pictures and many things dont make it to final design. Just curious if other owners have lighting in the back similar to fords official pics.
My Ford edge has ambient lighting in the back too so I assumed it would be same with the edge - probably not

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My escape has ambient lighting in the rear (I’m pretty sure anyway).

OP
OP
rafpug

rafpug

First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It does show in pic 11; cost savings? The settings explained in the manual are pretty minimum.

1. Access the vehicle drawer on the touchscreen.
2. Press SETTINGS.
3. Press Ambient Light.

Is there toggles on that screen for back, front, both? Or just what they highlight in the manual? Can you see a LED in the back door storage (front where it is working for reference). Congrats on being one of the early lucky ones.

Unfortunately my wife has the car til she gets off from work in a few hours, so I cant mess with it. Although if I do go to the ambient settings, there is a map of the car and the map does show lighting in the rear.

Once She's home I will physically check the rear for any LEDs and if i find any, i'm calling my dealership to service it to get them hooked up. I bet it's just a wire than needs to get connected.

When I first picked up Model 3, the rear speakers weren't working. Mobil tech came buy and said the wires weren't connected. Easy 5 minute fix.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yea, hope that is an easy fix, not a big deal relative to others, but disappointing if the lights aren't there. I know it happens but I don't expect Ford to forget to connect wires...

Just went through the ordering process on ford.com, looks like the ambient lighting is not shown in the rear passenger area of the car on the renderings there.

Unfortunately my wife has the car til she gets off from work in a few hours, so I cant mess with it. Although if I do go to the ambient settings, there is a map of the car and the map does show lighting in the rear.

Once She's home I will physically check the rear for any LEDs and if i find any, i'm calling my dealership to service it to get them hooked up. I bet it's just a wire than needs to get connected.

When I first picked up Model 3, the rear speakers weren't working. Mobil tech came buy and said the wires weren't connected. Easy 5 minute fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rafpug

rafpug

First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea, hope that is an easy fix, not a big deal relative to others, but disappointing if the lights aren't there. I know it happens but I don't expect Ford to forget to connect wires...

Just went through the ordering process on ford.com, looks like the ambient lighting is not shown in the rear passenger area of the car on the renderings there.
Just talked to a fellow owner on this forum and he confirmed that are no LEDs on the rear of his Mach E. Just like mine, only the front side light up. He even got under and did not see any LED installed where they should be. Looks like they didn't make it to final production. Sucks.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ugh, thanks for the confirmation, yep that sucks. Worse than the 2-tone steering wheel that was deleted from the light interior.

I'm sure I could install lights under the seats without too much trouble using parts, but not sure I'd want to drill on the doors. Beancounters... at this price point. ? Will file this under "nothing's perfect," early adopter disappointments.

Just talked to a fellow owner on this forum and he confirmed that are no LEDs on the rear of his Mach E. Just like mine, only the front side light up. He even got under and did not see any LED installed where they should be. Looks like they didn't make it to final production. Sucks.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Especially since it's still shown on the center display, for now anyway. Another thing they may add to mid-cycle refresh. Sadly, something that cannot be added OTA, other than updating the graphic.

early nickel and diming on stuff like this does not bode well. People DO notice this sort of thing. These sort of things can add up to the point of customers choosing something else.

JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Just to confirm, is your Mach E a premium or FE? It says those two and the GT are the only ones with ambient lighting. Route 1 and Select don't have ambient lighting.

Reactions: UW2

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
What about the rear door pockets? Is there ambient lighting there?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just to confirm, is your Mach E a premium or FE? It says those two and the GT are the only ones with ambient lighting. Route 1 and Select don't have ambient lighting.
Looks like OP has premium

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
And the ground effects lighting. Does it have the promised horses on the ground when you approach the car.