Are there long-term benefits for preconditioning?

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
There is no reason to set a departure time (i.e. precondition the battery) if you don't need the range. You can stop wasting money.
I set my departure time strictly for presetting the cabin temperature. Not much to do for the battery here in AZ, pretty optimal already most days! But is nice in the summer not to have to use oven mitts for the steering wheel, even though it is garaged... LOL

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
What do you pay per KWh there? We have off and on peak here. Following it they adjust the add on costs. It really does not matter when or how much we use it always comes down to and average 0.16/KWh.
Math edit
Wow, I guess I have it really good here in AZ, as my electricity provider (Salt River Project) has an EV time of use rate from 11p to 5a that is $0.0575 pkWh in the winter, and $0.0614 in the summer, so an average of $0.05945.
The wife has a 90 mile round trip commute, and is averaging 3.3 mpkWh religiously (way lower when I drive it!), so the average cost is $1.62 a day. We use the departure time so the cabin is cool or warm, and I can't imagine that costs me more than a few cents a day, and I lean towards battery conditioning having some positive effect on longevity, I can't see how it can really hurt.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Wow, I guess I have it really good here in AZ, as my electricity provider (Salt River Project) has an EV time of use rate from 11p to 5a that is $0.0575 pkWh in the winter, and $0.0614 in the summer, so an average of $0.05945.
The wife has a 90 mile round trip commute, and is averaging 3.3 mpkWh religiously (way lower when I drive it!), so the average cost is $1.62 a day. We use the departure time so the cabin is cool or warm, and I can't imagine that costs me more than a few cents a day, and I lean towards battery conditioning having some positive effect on longevity, I can't see how it can really hurt.
PSE&G in NJ has an excellent discount program off of the regular rate of $.185/kwh for EV off peak charging:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Are there long-term benefits for preconditioning? 1671221071890

Yeah, no. I got solar instead.

L&B

First Name
RL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MACH E California Route 1 2022
Country flag
Any idea how many kWh are needed to precondition the battery? The outdoor temperature in the morning is about 25F. I commute 33 miles to work each way.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Any idea how many kWh are needed to precondition the battery? The outdoor temperature in the morning is about 25F. I commute 33 miles to work each way.
Last I tested it ran the heater for about 15 minutes to warm the battery, then another 15 to warm the cabin. Total was probably 2-3kwh. Heater wasn’t running the max 6 kw, and my garage temp was around 30F.

OP
OP
the golden eel

the golden eel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
This morning the outside temp was -3F. Garage temp is 29F, and car is in the garage.

I had a departure time set and to set the cabin to warm. My Emporia charger used 8.49 kWh in 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Edit: I should state I didn't end up driving this morning, so that 1 hour and 4 minutes includes 15 minutes of pulling roughly 20 amps after my set departure time. I assume this was just keeping the cabin warm.

So it took 45 minutes to precondition the battery and warm the cabin for my departure time at 29F.

Last edited:

L&B

First Name
RL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MACH E California Route 1 2022
Country flag
Many thanks for all your input/comments.
Last I tested it ran the heater for about 15 minutes to warm the battery, then another 15 to warm the cabin. Total was probably 2-3kwh. Heater wasn’t running the max 6 kw, and my garage temp was around 30F.

DarkStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E SR RWD
Country flag
Does anyone know if you can precondition the battery without conditioning the cabin? In the Cool-Medium-Warm “Cabin Comfort” menu you can also set to Off. Not clear if that is telling it to not condition the cabin or if it’s turning off the whole preconditioning. I have a feeling it is everything because it grays out the time. But not sure why you wouldn’t just delete the time if you wanted it turned off.

Based on a new State of Charge video with a Ford engineer, he said a preconditioned battery only loses like 1 degree per hour so it’s worth doing every morning no matter your driving plans. If that’s the case I’d like to precondition the battery, but not waste extra energy on the cabin and just remote start a few minutes before if I go somewhere.

I know I can set to Cool, but just wondered if Off works. Tested it once and it didn’t appear to trigger my charger, but it could have been that the battery was still warm enough.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Does anyone know if you can precondition the battery without conditioning the cabin? In the Cool-Medium-Warm “Cabin Comfort” menu you can also set to Off. Not clear if that is telling it to not condition the cabin or if it’s turning off the whole preconditioning. I have a feeling it is everything because it grays out the time. But not sure why you wouldn’t just delete the time if you wanted it turned off.

Based on a new State of Charge video with a Ford engineer, he said a preconditioned battery only loses like 1 degree per hour so it’s worth doing every morning no matter your driving plans. If that’s the case I’d like to precondition the battery, but not waste extra energy on the cabin and just remote start a few minutes before if I go somewhere.

I know I can set to Cool, but just wondered if Off works. Tested it once and it didn’t appear to trigger my charger, but it could have been that the battery was still warm enough.
Selecting off for Cabin Temperature means exactly that. Off. No cabin conditioning. It is not everything. Set a time, then a day, then set off.

And Darren Palmer is VP of Electric Vehicles, not "a Ford engineer"... ;)

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes, OFF works, I've tested it: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...her-testing-taking-requests.24393/post-567699

However there may sometimes be issues with the FordPass server sending the command to your Mach-E. Seems like a server glitch or a lack of AT&T LTE coverage could be to blame.

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
I am under the impression that simply keeping the car plugged in will keep the battery from getting dangerously cold. That’s why we get the “It’s cold outside, plug me in.” Message.
If that’s true, just being plugged in is as good or better than preconditioning.

I also didn’t think it was possible to completely disable regen?
can Someone send a screenshot of this it’s cold outside plug me in message? I recently disabled PAAK but I haven’t seen any messages in the app.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
can Someone send a screenshot of this it’s cold outside plug me in message? I recently disabled PAAK but I haven’t seen any messages in the app.
I’ve only seen it in the car, not the app.

RedOctobrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
The battery is warrantied for eight years. Not sure I much point in babying it even more than Ford already does, since it's in Ford's best interest to extend the battery life for you.
That's alright if you plan on getting rid of the car between 3-8 years, but for those looking to keep this car for 20+ ... It's in your best interest to have a healthier 20yr old battery.

Imagine bringing it from 2% to 100% via fast charging for 8yrs because the battery is fully warrantied that entire time and then having a shot battery at 12yrs vs doing all the things suggested for battery longevity and not having much degradation after 18yrs.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
I agree - it is a personal choice/comfort thing. Most of us (especially the working stiffs among us) travel by car locally.
It would be better if it could work via FordPass (probably a pipe dream).
It's your thing, do what you want to do.
Sponsored