Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2006 Mustang GT, 2018 Buick Regal GS
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
10 minutes ago, I go into the garage to pull the car out so the wife can get to work. I unplug the charger and the liftgate immediately opens... WHACK!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What possible electronics/software scenario would trigger that to happen? C'mon! Now we have nice scratch on the liftgate where it smacked into the garage door (next time I will open the door before unplugging the car). Sigh :(
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
The auto-lift gate sensor is very sensitive. I turned it off after many "ghost" openings of the lift gate (quite a few of them caught on camera in the garage while no one is around/etc). Luckily there's plenty of space in my garage for the hatch to open, so it never got dinged or anything...

OP
OP
ProfitOfTruth

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
I guess I need to turn that off (assuming that is what triggered it). Booooooo

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
The auto-lift gate sensor is very sensitive. I turned it off after many "ghost" openings of the lift gate (quite a few of them caught on camera in the garage while no one is around/etc). Luckily there's plenty of space in my garage for the hatch to open, so it never got dinged or anything...
I thought the lift gate would only open handsfree if the key was there. On our Edge, even if the car is unlocked the foot activated lift gate doesn't work without the key being behind the car. Doesn't even work if the key is by one of the side doors.

Und34d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I found that you can set a lift gate height manually through the button on the bottom of the door when it opens. You press the button and when it gets to the height that you desire press again. This should stop the gate. At this point the button on the bottom of the gate is a 'Set' button where you press and hold for 3-5 seconds until you hear the chime. Once you hear the chime, the gate should not open past that point. Hope this helps prevent possible scratches in the future!

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
10 minutes ago, I go into the garage to pull the car out so the wife can get to work. I unplug the charger and the liftgate immediately opens... WHACK!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What possible electronics/software scenario would trigger that to happen? C'mon! Now we have nice scratch on the liftgate where it smacked into the garage door (next time I will open the door before unplugging the car). Sigh :(
Did you have the key fob in your pocket when this happened? We also have a Subaru and I cannot count how many times I have been in the garage with the Subi key in my pocket working on something else and have had the doors lock/unlock multiple times because the buttons on the key fob were being pressed by other keys in my pocket at the time. As soon as I take the Subi key out of my pocket the locking/unlocking stops.

I know the button on the MME fob has to be pressed 2X to open the rear hatch (and I am sure this is why), but I wonder if you had the same thing happen to you that I have seen in our Subaru in the garage.

OP
OP
ProfitOfTruth

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
I found that you can set a lift gate height manually through the button on the bottom of the door when it opens. You press the button and when it gets to the height that you desire press again. This should stop the gate. At this point the button on the bottom of the gate is a 'Set' button where you press and hold for 3-5 seconds until you hear the chime. Once you hear the chime, the gate should not open past that point. Hope this helps prevent possible scratches in the future!
Yeah, we have the height adjusted already, which work great when the door is open, but when the door is closed, it smacks the door on the way up. I'll make sure door is open from now on before I do anything else.

OP
OP
ProfitOfTruth

ProfitOfTruth

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Guru
Country flag
Did you have the key fob in your pocket when this happened?
No, I am hardcore PAAK. I have never used the FOB. Phone was locked and in my pocket during the event.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Mysterious openings have been posted many times. Everyone should a) adjust the height and b) pad the garage door at the point of possible collision.

There is nothing I've read that says that PaaK doesn't function when the phone is locked, only that those with issues may have more success when it's unlocked and the app is open.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Have you ever had it open like that when the car was locked and the fob/PaaK was out of range? That would be horrible if it just opened like that out in public.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Is this random hatch opening problem fixed in an OTA update?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We did have ours close on my wife's head a few weeks ago. Footwork must have started it closing while she was leaning in to put a chair in back. Ouch. Only time that has happened -- yet.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag