Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
Some classic parts of the article:

"If you open the hood on the front of Tesla, you can see where it's painted and not painted. It's like a blue and then a taupe or a weird color in between. How do you open the hood and look at that nastiness? You open the hood of a Mach-E and it has a cover with a horse embedded in it."
"Look, when I had a 2019 Model X 100D, I used to hit a puddle and water would shoot up from the dashboard in my car. That car cost me almost $90,000. They couldn't figure it out. They told me just deal with it. I'm not going to just deal with it. People actually told me maybe you shouldn't hit puddles and I was like, 'Are you kidding me?' ""
Classic!

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
"If you open the hood on the front of Tesla, you can see where it's painted and not painted. It's like a blue and then a taupe or a weird color in between. ...
... I had a 2019 Model X 100D, I used to hit a puddle and water would shoot up from the dashboard .... People actually told me maybe you shouldn't hit puddles and I was like, 'Are you kidding me?' ""
Quality and customer service have been consistent Tesla weak points. And when new investors gave the company a sudden windfall this year what did they choose to spend it on?
Bitcoin.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
Since I don't plan on using 1PD, this is the quote I like:

A feature that made the trip especially efficient, he said, is one shared by Ford and Hyundai that allows the vehicle to coast — it's called "free wheeling." The less resistance the car has, the less energy it uses, Rodriguez explained.

"You can turn off the regeneration and, if you're going down a hill, the car will do almost a neutral phase, just let it roll. You can coast to 80 mph. And you're not using any fuel," he said. "Imagine a gas car and putting it into neutral and not use gas. Tesla automatically regenerates as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, and it slows down."

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
"You can turn off the regeneration and, if you're going down a hill, the car will do almost a neutral phase, just let it roll. You can coast to 80 mph. ...
Many people don't realize regeneration only turns about 30% of the momentum it removes back into energy stored in the battery. Yes, regen is great, but only when you are intending to slow down. Unintentionally engaging regen, which is unavoidable with 1PD on the freeway, is quite wasteful. Both the Taycan and MME coast with no or very little regen but do apply regen when the brake pedal is first touched. The key is to avoid using so much brake pedal that the mechanical brake is applied.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Many people don't realize regeneration only turns about 30% of the momentum it removes back into energy stored in the battery. Yes, regen is great, but only when you are intending to slow down. Unintentionally engaging regen, which is unavoidable with 1PD on the freeway, is quite wasteful. Both the Taycan and MME coast with no or very little regen but do apply regen when the brake pedal is first touched. The key is to avoid using so much brake pedal that the mechanical brake is applied.
I think some of you do not understand about regen and OPD. You don't just take your foot all the way off the pedal going downhill. You just back off enough to maintain your speed. Just as you do in a ICE. But, say you are going down a very long steep hill. IF you back off enough to control your speed where you want then instead of having to tap the brakes and lose ALL of that kinetic energy you can back off to let it lightly regen to keep your speed where you want. The trick is teaching yourself to never use the brakes except for emergency braking. For example: we drove about 150 miles in our Leaf today to do some shopping the wife wanted to do. I can honestly say I did not brake a single time in that mixed highway and city driving. About 40 miles of that was driving curvy mountain roads where you would normally be riding your brakes all the way down the mountain (unless you had a manual). Instead of wasting that potential energy as heat in brakes it probably added about 10 miles of range back in to the car. Learning to use OPD is like learning to operate a clutch and gear shift. You get good at it with repetition.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
"Look, when I had a 2019 Model X 100D, I used to hit a puddle and water would shoot up from the dashboard in my car.-----
WOW! Never hear this one before and it is shocking.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
"Look, when I had a 2019 Model X 100D, I used to hit a puddle and water would shoot up from the dashboard in my car.-----
WOW! Never hear this one before and it is shocking.
Probably built in the tent in the parking lot :( Not hugely out of character for Tesla, they seem to have completely skipped the "building a car" part of car building, and gone right to software.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
OPD is definitely a personal taste. To the point earlier, you are 100% on not just lifting your foot. You have to get the feel for it and then you can "freewheel" in OPD too. I have yet to turn it off after I learned it. In terms of interstate travel, I just hit the magic button and let the car do its thing 95% of the time so OPD does not really impact there.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
... instead of having to tap the brakes and lose ALL of that kinetic energy you can back off to let it lightly regen to keep your speed where you want. The trick is teaching yourself to never use the brakes except for emergency braking.
Dead wrong. using the brake pedal in any EV I have driven or heard or progressively adds more and more regen before applying the mechanical brakes. Some cars provide a more 'natural' feel than others, but all work this way.

BTW: the regen/brake blending was initially sold by Toyota in the first Prius. This is how all hybrids work too.

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
For example: we drove about 150 miles in our Leaf today to do some shopping the wife wanted to do. I can honestly say I did not brake a single time in that mixed highway and city driving. About 40 miles of that was driving curvy mountain roads where you would normally be riding your brakes all the way down the mountain (unless you had a manual).
agreed, I have a 5 year old Fusion Energi where I rely heavily on the regen braking. I live by a lot of hills where my ICE vehicles require new brake pads every 2 years. I have never needed to replace my brake pads on the fusion. And it is my daily driver. I love watching the battery charging as I am going down the hills.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
Dead wrong. using the brake pedal in any EV I have driven or heard or progressively adds more and more regen before applying the mechanical brakes. Some cars provide a more 'natural' feel than others, but all work this way.

BTW: the regen/brake blending was initially sold by Toyota in the first Prius. This is how all hybrids work too.
and fords even train you how to do it with the brake coach. Most of my stops are 100% which assume means all regen

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
All of Tesla Twitter:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

The Toyota RAV4 hybrid 4wd system has a third motor-generator and this adds charge to your battery pack at a much greater rate than the typical hybrid MG1-MG2 drive system. My RAV4 more than doubles the amount the CMax PHEV does.
Sponsored