woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Does regen. function when fully (89% on MMe) charged?
The Bolt does not regn. charge when charged to 100%. You must use stored energy up first. That is one reason I charge to 90% for everyday use. You use the regen. a lot coming out of the garage and at the beginning of your local journey. At 90% the regen. is available, alleviating most of the mechanical brake usage.
I am assuming the MMe does regen. all the time since the MMe is prohibited by (Ford) software from fully charging.
I do not have my MMe yet, so what is your the experience of you guys who do have your MMe?
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The CMax will not regen at 100%. It needs to be below 96% to notice it.

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
agreed, I have a 5 year old Fusion Energi where I rely heavily on the regen braking. I live by a lot of hills where my ICE vehicles require new brake pads every 2 years. I have never needed to replace my brake pads on the fusion. And it is my daily driver. I love watching the battery charging as I am going down the hills.
Agree, my wife’s 2011 escape hybrid has 92,000 km and have yet to touch the brakes.

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150, 2013 Honda Crosstour, 2010 Audi A5 Con
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I think some of you do not understand about regen and OPD. You don't just take your foot all the way off the pedal going downhill. You just back off enough to maintain your speed. Just as you do in a ICE. But, say you are going down a very long steep hill. IF you back off enough to control your speed where you want then instead of having to tap the brakes and lose ALL of that kinetic energy you can back off to let it lightly regen to keep your speed where you want. The trick is teaching yourself to never use the brakes except for emergency braking. For example: we drove about 150 miles in our Leaf today to do some shopping the wife wanted to do. I can honestly say I did not brake a single time in that mixed highway and city driving. About 40 miles of that was driving curvy mountain roads where you would normally be riding your brakes all the way down the mountain (unless you had a manual). Instead of wasting that potential energy as heat in brakes it probably added about 10 miles of range back in to the car. Learning to use OPD is like learning to operate a clutch and gear shift. You get good at it with repetition.
described by my wife, “it is like operating a sewing machine pedal, there is no brake.” Described by a RC enthusiast, “it’s like driving any RC car, there is no brake.” What’s common? A motor. What’s uncommon? A brake for rapid stops. I have never used a sewing machine or RC car but am loving OPD and try to make smooth stops at intersections. We live in the mountains so making up for loss of mileage while climbing with regen on descents is awesome. I have experimented with Low” gear on descents and with OPD on and off do not know yet which adds more juice. Anyone?
Sponsored