Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Why is Audi's range so terrible for a 95kw battery pack? What in the world are they doing with all that energy, lol?

I guess if your market is europe range is no issue. America is a different story. People wanna see that magic range number being 300, but with a WLTP of 277, EPA is going to produce more like 230 miles range.

Shake my head.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I actually prefer the proportions (and utility) of the existing e-tron SUV body style.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
Decent 0-60 times too... looks like it’s going to be faster to 60 than the AWD-ER MME.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Nice looking car.
I really like the Audi styling in general. If they had vehicle with specs and price similar to the Mach E, I would certainly consider it.

My wife had an Audi Q5 Hybrid until about a year ago when she was hit by a truck and the insurance company totaled the car. We ended up replacing it with a newer (used) Audi Q5 TDI. Very nice car although I rarely get a chance to drive it! ?

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I'd consider it too if it was cheaper and had better range. However for some reason their efficiency is just not that good.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The real world tests by independent groups real better efficiency than Tesla. See the recent thread.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
The real world tests by independent groups real better efficiency than Tesla. See the recent thread.
I've seen that, but as you probably know there's some controversy about it too. It's one thing to do tests in cold weather, but you need to gauge all-year efficiency.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Why is Audi's range so terrible for a 95kw battery pack? What in the world are they doing with all that energy, lol?

I guess if your market is europe range is no issue. America is a different story. People wanna see that magic range number being 300, but with a WLTP of 277, EPA is going to produce more like 230 miles range.

Shake my head.
Audi for a start do not put eco bicycle tyres on the e-tron, 255 section width are going to cut into range. This is pretty much the same with story with taycan you can see upfront that the energy foot print is going to be higher no matter how efficient the drive train..

As noted above in real world tests people have got more / less for all bev's definitively one of those your mileage will vary, I do like the look of the sportback version of the e-tron. Will be interesting to see what the GT looks like when that comes out, if it doesn't deviate much from the concept that is going to be one of the best looking bev's to me.

One thing Audi appears to have nailed down is the way it can maintain peak charging rate for a long time period and doesn't drop, hopefully the mach-e will have similar.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Doesn't Audi and Ford use LG batteries - that is what confuses me - how can Ford get the range that Audi cant...totally agree with everyone else, for those higher priced brands, range should be greater than the magic 300 number - add that to a speedy charge rate and I would pay that higher price...

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
This link: https://insideevs.com/news/407962/a...FA2YImILBXvo0_fuY-XqN-KTGFZHBIp8o8TEroIOkaBAg provides details about the new Audi. Interesting facts. Includes a top 300 kW charging rate but 100 kW continuous rate while claiming 10-80% of the 95kWh battery pack in 30 minutes. Option for 22kW on board charger which could mean faster L2 charging speeds?
Option for a 22kW on board charger could mean significantly faster L2 charging speeds assuming the "software" allows such. What size amp breaker and wire would one need to match the capability of a 22kW on board charger?
Sponsored