Automatic Mirros Option not working + resetting miror position

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
Anyone else has this issue?

When I received the car, it had the auto mirrors that collapse when the car is locked. It's not a feature I need, but I left it on. After a few days, I realized I had to constantly fix the mirror (just the mirror inside) as it was no longer to my setting. I had to do this almost on a daily basis.

I realized it came from the mirrors auto folding when I left the car! This is a huge issue in my opinion. So I decided to go in the settings and disable the feature.... However, that feature doesn't always work. If I walk away from my car and the car locks automatically, it will no longer auto-fold the mirrors, but sometimes the car stops detecting the FOB or PaaK at close range and then it still folds the mirrors.

For example, today, I went for a small ride with my daughters, I started the car with PaaK to heat it up a bit before we left. I got to the car, didn't turn it on yet, put in my oldest in her booster seat, then put our baby in her car seat, but as I went from one back door to the next from behind the car, the car shutdown and the mirrors auto folded (even if option is disabled). I went to open the back door to put my youngest one in, car took about 2-3 pushes of the button to finnaly open the door. Mirrors auto-unfolded.. and again, mirror was no longer in the proper setting.

That's a pretty big quality of life issue right there...

1. Auto Folding turned off should ALWAYS turn off.
2. The underlying issue is that Folding the Mirrors on the driver side should not displace the inside mirror requiring adjustment every darn time.
Sponsored

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
So I decided to go in the settings and disable the feature.... However, that feature doesn't always work. If I walk away from my car and the car locks automatically, it will no longer auto-fold the mirrors, but sometimes the car stops detecting the FOB or PaaK at close range and then it still folds the mirrors.
but as I went from one back door to the next from behind the car, the car shutdown and the mirrors auto folded (even if option is disabled).
I had to constantly fix the mirror (just the mirror inside) as it was no longer to my setting.
Mirror position is definitely part of "profile". It is possible that mirror auto folding is also part of profile settings.

I suspect that you have multiple profiles. And you're activating the one where auto folding is still enabled. When that profile is activated, it also automatically adjust the mirror position to the saved state.

This is a common issue of modern cars. A few years ago when I got a Callidac for my rental, I ran into the issue. The seat always goes back to a particular position every time I enter the car. Turns out it's adjusting the seat to the saved position, and I didn't save the position after my adjustments. Since your preference is not respected in multiple areas (auto folding + mirror position), I suspect it's something like this.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Anyone else has this issue?

When I received the car, it had the auto mirrors that collapse when the car is locked. It's not a feature I need, but I left it on. After a few days, I realized I had to constantly fix the mirror (just the mirror inside) as it was no longer to my setting. I had to do this almost on a daily basis.

I realized it came from the mirrors auto folding when I left the car! This is a huge issue in my opinion. So I decided to go in the settings and disable the feature.... However, that feature doesn't always work. If I walk away from my car and the car locks automatically, it will no longer auto-fold the mirrors, but sometimes the car stops detecting the FOB or PaaK at close range and then it still folds the mirrors.

For example, today, I went for a small ride with my daughters, I started the car with PaaK to heat it up a bit before we left. I got to the car, didn't turn it on yet, put in my oldest in her booster seat, then put our baby in her car seat, but as I went from one back door to the next from behind the car, the car shutdown and the mirrors auto folded (even if option is disabled). I went to open the back door to put my youngest one in, car took about 2-3 pushes of the button to finnaly open the door. Mirrors auto-unfolded.. and again, mirror was no longer in the proper setting.

That's a pretty big quality of life issue right there...

1. Auto Folding turned off should ALWAYS turn off.
2. The underlying issue is that Folding the Mirrors on the driver side should not displace the inside mirror requiring adjustment every darn time.
IIRC You indicated in another thread your Mach E isn't recognizing your phone or fob and not putting your seat in the right place. The seat position and mirror position are both part of the individual driver pre-sets. Have you tested to see if you have the same problems with the fob?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
IIRC You indicated in another thread your Mach E isn't recognizing your phone or fob and not putting your seat in the right place. The seat position and mirror position are both part of the individual driver pre-sets. Have you tested to see if you have the same problems with the fob?
Well, then. OP, you definitely have multiple profiles. I suspect that your fob and your phone are linked to two profiles. As a result, when you approach the car, the car is semi-randomly choosing between the two. Since you likely didn't save your seat/mirror configuration, it goes out of place every time the car switches profile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeeCee

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But the settings is not under profile to turn off Auto Fold, it's under the car settings. I don't expect it to be per profile when the option is not under a profile, but under the car settings.

And yes, my PaaK is just unstable as well. I always carry both the fob and my phone with me and both are on my profile. So not sure why it's ignoring both. Also, my PaaK has been getting better ever since I disconnected it from the MME and I reconnected it.

But that only helps with 1 issue: The auto fold. The actual issue is that the mirrors folding actually displaces the inside mirror. That shouldn't happen imo.

OP
OP
PeeCee

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, then. OP, you definitely have multiple profiles. I suspect that your fob and your phone are linked to two profiles. As a result, when you approach the car, the car is semi-randomly choosing between the two. Since you likely didn't save your seat/mirror configuration, it goes out of place every time the car switches profile.
I do have two profiles, one for my wife and another for me, but my wife's profile is not set with either the FOB or PaaK. We just created a profile for fun (she'll practically never drive it as she has her own car). I'll double chexk profiles tomorrow and try to delete hers to see.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
But the settings is not under profile to turn off Auto Fold, it's under the car settings. I don't expect it to be per profile when the option is not under a profile, but under the car settings.

And yes, my PaaK is just unstable as well. I always carry both the fob and my phone with me and both are on my profile. So not sure why it's ignoring both. Also, my PaaK has been getting better ever since I disconnected it from the MME and I reconnected it.

But that only helps with 1 issue: The auto fold. The actual issue is that the mirrors folding actually displaces the inside mirror. That shouldn't happen imo.
The actual glass should not move unless one of profiles is auto adjusting it. This is separate from auto folding

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

My profile says to start up in Unbridled mode; my wife's in Whisper. These are car settings but are remembered as part of our profiles.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I noticed that temperature unit is part of profiles, also "home" location in maps. So it wouldn't surprise me that auto folding also is.

The mirror changing position is due to profiles. You thought that auto folding is the cause of mirror changing position (due to bad mirror motor, etc). But given everything you have said, the car is probably deliberately changing the mirror position to match profile.

After you change seat position and mirror position, you need to save it to the "1", "2", "3" button (whichever correspond to your profile) on the driver door. Otherwise, whenever you switches profile (even if you switch it back later), that unsaved setting will be lost.
Sponsored