Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That is not true... Autonomous vehicle are safer than the worse human drivers. They can't decide a choice., thus inferior to an active human driver.
A choice is just a probability decision. So yes, they can make choices. The e-tron has tons going on, just splits it into two different screens. I was watching a video earlier that made a good point regarding the screens in these newer vehicles. If we had analog knobs or switches for everything that the screen can control (by switching graphics, therefore a new feature set on screen), we would have a ton of extra analog buttons/knobs/switches. I hadn't thought about that part prior to it.
Sponsored

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Posting pics, without context is meaningless.

03etronabudhabi56.jpg

Audi eTron center dash is much more aesthetically pleasing and focus orientated.

I would buy a Mustang Mach E if it had a reasonable driver interface... It does not. Instead, Ford wants you to feel that you are co-piloting a cellphone.
The context is that more and more cars are going with a very large center dash display.

K1TT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Performance Pack
Occupation
Product Designer
Country flag
Posting pics, without context is meaningless.

03etronabudhabi56.jpg

Audi eTron center dash is much more aesthetically pleasing and focus orientated.

I would buy a Mustang Mach E if it had a reasonable driver interface... It does not. Instead, Ford wants you to feel that you are co-piloting a cellphone.
Let's add some more context then shall we?
For the cars shown above, MSRP

2020 Escape (with SYNC 3) - $27,000
Tesla Model 3 - $35,000
2021 Mustang Mach-E - $45,000
2019 Audi e-Tron - $75,000
Tesla Model S - $80,000

The key here is you have to make the most of your budget. Multiple screens means different modules, different modules mean more cost. Audi can more than afford to put a super fancy multi-screen setup because they have $30,000 increase in price over the Mach-E. Plus the Audi will be geared towards a very different clientele, considering it's a luxury brand.

VW's ID3 has a tablet "in your face" design too
Ford Mustang Mach-E Autonocast discusses Mach-E's disruptive and human-centered design 1575645742473

The big reason Mach-E is making a splash is not just because it's an electric car, but an affordable one that directly competes with Tesla (that looks great too). Until batteries go down you'll likely see very different designs from mainstream automakers on EVs vs their luxury counterparts.

Lastly the whole idea behind a tablet screen is to have what you need in your line of sight so you don't take your eyes off the road for longer than you have to. It's why more and more automakers are doing tablet-style infotainment. I'm just glad they didn't do away with the instrument cluster

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
Let's add some more context then shall we?
For the cars shown above, MSRP

2020 Escape (with SYNC 3) - $27,000
Tesla Model 3 - $35,000
2021 Mustang Mach-E - $45,000
2019 Audi e-Tron - $75,000
Tesla Model S - $80,000

The key here is you have to make the most of your budget. Multiple screens means different modules, different modules mean more cost. Audi can more than afford to put a super fancy multi-screen setup because they have $30,000 increase in price over the Mach-E. Plus the Audi will be geared towards a very different clientele, considering it's a luxury brand.

VW's ID3 has a tablet "in your face" design too
Ford Mustang Mach-E Autonocast discusses Mach-E's disruptive and human-centered design 1575645742473

The big reason Mach-E is making a splash is not just because it's an electric car, but an affordable one that directly competes with Tesla (that looks great too). Until batteries go down you'll likely see very different designs from mainstream automakers on EVs vs their luxury counterparts.

Lastly the whole idea behind a tablet screen is to have what you need in your line of sight so you don't take your eyes off the road for longer than you have to. It's why more and more automakers are doing tablet-style infotainment. I'm just glad they didn't do away with the instrument cluster
A 15" touch screen is about $90 bucks. Two 9" displays, are about the same. It has NOTHING to do with the cost and everything to do with the "futuristic" design.

Also, who told you that infotainment display has to be line of sight..? (Fake ergonomics?) BECAUSE< doing so means you've just now added an obstruction to your line of sight while driving... just another distraction within the driver's line of sight to the road... (like a cellphone on the dash)

Once familiar with your car's interior, most people don't need to look at wher their fingers are going. Mach E display was designed for looks, nothing more..

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I compare it to switching from T9 to Swype. Takes some getting used to, but your muscle memory will learn placement.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A 15" touch screen is about $90 bucks. Two 9" displays, are about the same. It has NOTHING to do with the cost and everything to do with the "futuristic" design.

Also, who told you that infotainment display has to be line of sight..? (Fake ergonomics?) BECAUSE< doing so means you've just now added an obstruction to your line of sight while driving... just another distraction within the driver's line of sight to the road... (like a cellphone on the dash)

Once familiar with your car's interior, most people don't need to look at wher their fingers are going. Mach E display was designed for looks, nothing more..
Ford has made the Mach E dash like Tesla and other EV makers so that it looks familiar to current and prospective EV buyers. When you're new to the EV game you hook them with a great looking exterior but with some familiarity with a normal EV style dash treatment.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
Ford has made the Mach E dash like Tesla and other EV makers so that it looks familiar to current and prospective EV buyers. When you're new to the EV game you hook them with a great looking exterior but with some familiarity with a normal EV style dash treatment.

You keep saying that, as if Tesla has the best ergonomics of any car, ever.

Secondly, Ford engineers are under some delusion, that a large cellphone screen is what people want. Because they saw it on a tesla once. A screen is fine, but placing it up so high and so close invades the driver's space.

Tell me this, what is wrong with the distance of all the radios & hvac controls, in all the cars before Tesla..? Were people complaining they couldn't reach the knobs/buttons...?

So why all of a sudden are they being moved 7" closer to the driver..?

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's not that it's a problem, it's the simple fact that there is a lot more adjustments and options to these cars now, so a large touchscreen will facilitate more utility than static buttons that do one function.

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You keep saying that, as if Tesla has the best ergonomics of any car, ever.
That's not what I'm saying what I am saying is that Tesla has set the expectation and Ford is following suit.

Secondly, Ford engineers are under some delusion, that a large cellphone screen is what people want. Because they saw it on a tesla once.
Ford is following the design language being used by a lot of manufactures look at the 2021 Suburban picture I posted.

A screen is fine, but placing it up so high and so close invades the driver's space.
I respect your opinion but your opinion is not that of others if it where we would not be seing so many interiors with the center screen so high up.

Tell me this, what is wrong with the distance of all the radios & hvac controls, in all the cars before Tesla..? Were people complaining they couldn't reach the knobs/buttons...?
There is nothing wrong with the distance of all the controls in cars before Tesla. It's just that to be different Tesla changed how dash layouts where done kind of a wow factor and now people have come to expect it.

So why all of a sudden are they being moved 7" closer to the driver..?
Most people have become lazy and it's easier to reach everything. Most people aren't like us and like to drive there cars they're just a long for the ride. I have a 2015 Mustang and I like the layout just fine I don't need a big screen in my face.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edge Sport (tuned)
Country flag
That's not what I'm saying what I am saying is that Tesla has set the expectation and Ford is following suit.

Ford is following the design language being used by a lot of manufactures look at the 2021 Suburban picture I posted.

I respect your opinion but your opinion is not that of others if it where we would not be seing so many interiors with the center screen so high up.

There is nothing wrong with the distance of all the controls in cars before Tesla. It's just that to be different Tesla changed how dash layouts where done kind of a wow factor and now people have come to expect it.

Most people have become lazy and it's easier to reach everything. Most people aren't like us and like to drive there cars they're just a long for the ride. I have a 2015 Mustang and I like the layout just fine I don't need a big screen in my face.
So you admit, there is no real reason for Ford to do this, but only a marketing gimmick so that Ford looks kewl and futuristic. A fad...

A governmental agency will step in soon to stop this gimmickry.

"Hey, lets purposely place an XXXL phone on the dash... because people are starring at theirs too much."
Sponsored