Plug and Charge Working!! (was avoid plug and charge for now)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Your average buyer wouldn’t know to not use P&C and instead activate with EA app. I’m saying if a normal person, on this software version plugs in their Mustang, based on my testing and experience, they will not be able to seamlessly charge. Imagine having the fueling pump stop over and over and having to wait multiple minutes standing outside for it to reconnect - just unacceptable.
This isn’t to say I don’t like the car, just that this wasn’t sorted before launch

Kyle
I agree that P&C does not appear ready. But the "F-250 you can't put diesel into" comparison is off base, because there's no diesel equivalent to P&C.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In reality, I'd say avoid Plug & Charge if you're in a big hurry and can't afford a failure. Otherwise, give it a try. If it fails, then initiate charging from the app.

Also, if you have a choice, use P&C for the states where EA charges by the kWh. The states where EA is charging by the minute actually give a really good price. Use your Pass+ rates there and save the 250 kWh for states where it will cost more.

EVMELR

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt 2014 ELR 2017 Volt 2019 ETRON, Prem ExR
Country flag
I have had my car for about 2 weeks and must of tried P&C 8 times now and it just keeps spinning the connecting to car but never does. I am giving up on P&C and hope the Ford people are watching this site. I will be using my EA app until I hear people on this site all have success with P&C.

andyg53

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition, Corvette, Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've used P & C 6 times now driving from FL to MD along I-95 and it has worked fine. My main issue is with the condition of the restrooms in Walmart. They need to clean them more frequently.

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
I cannot get the fast charger to work at all. Keep getting this blinking light wherever I go

Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug and Charge Working!! (was avoid plug and charge for now) PXL_20210410_170213824

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I cannot get the fast charger to work at all. Keep getting this blinking light wherever I go

Ford Mustang Mach-E Plug and Charge Working!! (was avoid plug and charge for now) PXL_20210410_170213824
U may have already posted, but have u tried starting from the app first then plug in. And do not lock doors until it’s well started.

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
U may have already posted, but have u tried starting from the app first then plug in. And do not lock doors until it’s well started.
I was at a charge point charger. Am I able to start from Ford pass?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Tried Plug and Charge for my first time at an EA DC Fast Charging location in Milwaukee today and it worked perfectly! Pulled in, plugged in and started charging. 45 kwh of free power from Ford in 26 minutes. Worked like a charm! If only it hadn't been at a Walmart and had actually been somewhere that I cared to shop or eat at.

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I don’t think so. But starting from any charger app (ea or ChargePoint etc) or from the Ford app before plugging in seems to usually work best.
i got a charge point to activate using the Ford app yesterday. No issue at all.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I was at a charge point charger. Am I able to start from Ford pass?
Plug and Charge is only enabled for EA and Green Lots. If you have CarPlay and the ChargePoint app you can authorize the charging directly from the car screen, but the ChargePoint card or phone NFC would be faster.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
It’s kind of confusing the difference between Plug & Charge and FordPass, especially because you have to use FP to enable P&C. And because neither works reliably.

After enabling P&C, it is supposed to work automatically without the FP app, only at EA and GreenLots.

Or, when P&C likely fails, you can also initiate the charge through FP if you still want to use your free kWh, but the free kWh are only good for EA. You can also theoretically use the FP app to initiate charging at other stations like ChargePoint, in theory.

Or, when that doesn’t work, either, you can also use the EA app (no free kWh) or the ChargePoint app, etc.

Or, when that doesn’t work, either, because P&C is actually interfering with the charging session, call the folks at EA or CP and they’ll manually initiate the charge.

This is the sequence that usually works for me! Except when none of these steps work, and then you drive to another station to try them again. Repeat until you find a working station or run out of charge. It’s that easy!
Sponsored

Last edited: