AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
I guess I’ll be the one to start a thread in the regional SE forum.

My reservation is for a Premium ER RWD. Lately I’ve been considering if I should change to to AWD when it comes time to order.

My current vehicle is a Chevy Volt which is FWD. I’ve never had an issue with it. I also have never owned an AWD vehicle.

I live in Central Florida, where I’m more likely to win the lottery than drive in any type of snow or ice accumulation. ?

It does however rain here. And a couple months of the year, it rains a lot.

The I-4 corridor here requires some aggression driving at times, and quick acceleration and responsiveness does help.

My daily commute is only 30 miles so the hit on range going with AWD, won’t be an issue. I could even travel to either coast and back and it still not be a problem.

Any long range road trip we have an ICE vehicle to use.

I’ve seen the poll with AWD vs RWD, and the majority is AWD. But also the majority is up north where snow and ice is expected.

Wondering what the thoughts are for people in this region about the AWD vs RWD decision.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

My reservation is for a Premium ER RWD. Lately I’ve been considering if I should change to to AWD when it comes time to order.

My current vehicle is a Chevy Volt which is FWD. I’ve never had an issue with it. I also have never owned an AWD vehicle.

I live in Central Florida, where I’m more likely to win the lottery than drive in any type of snow or ice accumulation. ?

The I-4 corridor here requires some aggression driving at times, and quick acceleration and responsiveness does help.

My daily commute is only 30 miles so the hit on range going with AWD, won’t be an issue. I could even travel to either coast and back and it still not be a problem.

I’ve seen the poll with AWD vs RWD, and the majority is AWD. But also the majority is up north where snow and ice is expected.

Wondering what the thoughts are for people in this region about the AWD vs RWD decision.
Hmm, interesting question. I live in NJ, so not quite north or south and I am going to get the RWD. I've had mustangs for 23+ years, and while my first was horrible in snow my latest is actually not nearly as bad. We do sometimes get heavy rains (although probably not as bad as you), and while I do have to pay extra attention my current ride is pretty good. From what I've read, since the battery is all along the bottom vs a front engine, the RWD MME should behave fairly well in all but bad snow. I assume the same is true for torrential rain.

However, if you have doubts and don't mind paying the extra, why not get the peppier AWD and enjoy the peace of mind?

Reactions: ARK

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Based on the situation you described, I don't think there is a wrong choice either way. RWD should be fine. Should be plenty of power for acceleration whether RWD or AWD.

But at the same time, AWD adds some peace of mind in the rain, and is there if you ever do get into snow (or sell the vehicle to someone that does). An offers a little more power. And doesn't cost a ton ($2700). But it does take 10% off range (minor if you can charge nightly at home, but bigger if not).

All relatively minor differences though unless one drives in snow. Mostly comes down to a $$$ issue.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I lived in South Florida for 12 years and driven in some of those absolute cane toad-drowners that come out of nowhere. Sometimes the worst are the light ones that generate really slick surfaces. Also, when you're at highway speed and hit water much deeper than expected, you want all the traction you can get. When traveling in driving rain down there, I would put my truck into 4WD for the assurance of control. The AWD will provide greater traction and control at about a 7% range penalty.

No question you don't need it as much in FL as I do in MD. Even so, it does have its advantages. Besides, fours wheels of acceleration feels solid and awesome.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Ford's setup on the old Escape Hybrid 4wd was FWD in normal mode, press the accelerator and the vehicle went into 4wd regardless of speed or weather conditions, it then gradually disengaged when demand was down and would re-engage at the next press of the gas pedal. The market literature was different as in "engages into 4wd during slip conditions". This system was problem free for just short of 200,000 miles in my traded (rusted) in 2005 FEH.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Many (maybe most?) current Audi’s use “Quattro Ultra,” which is FWD biased most of the time. They do it for fuel economy. FWD is an artifact of weight distribution in front engine vehicles. RWD is generally better. An EV which acts mostly as RWD and engages the front motor when needed is a good design solution. It necessitates a front motor which can free spin, though.

If you can afford the AWD vehicle, it’s the smart choice.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
I live in CT and find that I don't really "NEED" all-wheel-drive when driving on public roads. Even poorly-plowed roads are pretty much passable; and a good set of snow tires on a vehicle with FWD has always worked very well for me.

OP
OP

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I’m leaning more towards the AWD now.

Now for the ordering process to start.

My next decision is interior color, which is a harder decision. Lol.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I’m leaning more towards the AWD now.

Now for the ordering process to start.

My next decision is interior color, which is a harder decision. Lol.
I would think a lighter color would be mandatory in a hot climate with a giant sunroof.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When I lived in FL, a light colored interior was a must!

rabergnc

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Country flag
Living in NC, a lighter interior is far better than a dark one. I've ordered an AWD version. I currently drive a Subaru Forester and find that AWD seems to be a bit safer during heavy and and the occasional hurricane. For me, the distance hit is worth the peace of mind.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag

Remember that the AWD has two(2) motors. The RWD has only one. Now......by saying this I am not trying to insult anyone.....but the tongue is considerably larger and so is the drain on the battery if you want to exercise the acceleration pedal. The ER battery will give you some peace of mind and range. AWD with ER battery will make your ride a joy. You will not regret it.
Now......if you decide to go somewhere where is snow.....watch the U Tube video when Ford took the MME in Northern Michigan at their testing facilities. Interesting to see how the MME performed.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm in SoCal. We def don't 'Need' it. But it would be nice for those few days a year when we get the first rain...the oils that have been collected will make the roads slippery. If $$$ wasn't any concern, I would get it but at the end of the day, it was considered a 'Nice to Have' versus a 'Must Have'.

For snow purposes, I've heard from the friends that changing to snow tires is more beneficial than AWD.
Sponsored