Back in the day, would you buy your Mach-E if it was a Ford, not a Mustang?

Back in the day, would you buy your Mach-E if it was a Ford, not a Mustang?

• Yes. The Mustang badge is not important.

• Yes. But only if the price was cheaper by 5k or your variant in the comments.

• No. The Mustang badge is important.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
The only thing the “Mustang” name bought me was that it made me hear about it from the brouhaha in the press as I scanned Apple News. At the time, I was waiting for a fully-electric four door SUV-format car with AWD, more than 250 miles in range, and not wearing a Tesla badge.

When I saw the articles, that made me go look at the car specs, and I was like, “Damn. That’s what I have been looking for.” They could have called it anything else and I still would have bought it, but the Mustang name put it in front of my face for me.
Sponsored

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Too bad the stupid cancer killed her before she got the “death ride” she wanted. 🤬🐩
Sorry for your loss. But that is some funny shit...I think she would have loved that, WOT in Unbridled before (while?) she passed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sorry for your loss. But that is some funny shit...I think she would have loved that, WOT in Unbridled before (while?) she passed.
Yeah, she would have gotten a kick out of it. She loved some of the stupid-assed things I did in my Trans Am and she loved her 5.0 drop-top. 😊🐩

OP
OP
dmitry

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So, let me get this straight, if it was the exact same car for the exact same price with the exact same styling and features but did not have a Mustang badge you would not buy one? I guess Ford really did know what they were doing using the Mustang name!
Yes, you get it right, exact same car for the exact same price, but with Ford oval logo on the front. I agree with you from a sales perspective to generate 25-30% extra buyers by only naming this car as a Mustang it’s a huge win. But only future sales will show how right Ford's decision was.

HOLOTYPE

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
Software support engineer
Country flag
I love Ford but I honestly didn't take the car seriously at first due to the Mustang branding. I didn't understand why they chose this route and since I really wasn't in the market for a new vehicle I didn't really look into details about the car or what it was capable of.

I got into a bad accident that totaled my 2014 Fx4 and I was hell bent on getting an EV specifically a Tesla. After a horrible first impression test drive followed by 2 additional bad test drive experiences, I thought EVs weren't for me and setup a test drive of a Lincoln Aviator. While there I happened to spot a Mach-E and asked if I could drive it too, and was blown away. I was at that point obsessed with researching the car, ultimately buying a used one because I simply couldn't wait for a new one to be built. So yeah, It could have been called anything really I still would have bought it. Maybe if it wasn't called a Mustang I would have shown more interest sooner? Regardless I love and get why its called a Mustang now :D

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
I also marked no. The Ford "name" doesn't do anything for me. The Mustang badge and look are a completely different story. The main thing, though, is that by calling it a Mustang, it made me believe that Ford had put the work into it and would keep working on it (i.e. not just a compliance car like the original Bolt).

Also by naming it a Mustang, I think it subconsciously felt like it wasn't a first-gen vehicle that was going to be plagued with problems.

Swanlee

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
System Admin
Country flag
I think the Mach E is a better car then it's Mustang legacy. Growing up Mustangs were kind of clunky muscle cars that would always Break Down.

The Mach E is an entire class above typical Mustangs in my opinion and it's improves the brand not the other way around.

It's almost to good of a car to be a real Mustang

Last edited:

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Although the Mustang name doesn’t have the meaning to me that it does for a lot of other people, the polarization it’s had in a few conversations has been fun. I liked that it got some people so worked up, and the Mach-E is just a fun car.

Chiffonage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Select RWD Gray
Country flag
Echoing other thoughts. Always wanted a '64 1/2 Mustang and will just call my Select a "Mach-E" however the Blue Oval badging feels dated so glad not to have that all over. Chevy has a good start with their 3 blue lines and Hyundai has an amazing start with their rebrand. They need to come up with more "-E" or "Mach" branding that signifies an EV without being heavy handed.

Jay_in_Austin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Initially we weren't interested in the MME because it seemed to be more performance oriented than we wanted. The Ionic 5 was more what we wanted until Hyundai decided they needed large market adjustments to the price. Ford was happy to sell us an MME at MSRP and the size and features met our needs. We would have liked Ford to start a new line of EVs with a new name but if the name helps them sell cars, that's OK with us.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Badging not critical.

Needed an EV that could fit three car seats. There are more options now, but when I ordered the Mach-E it was basically the Mach-E, Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X, or three-row Tesla Model Y. Tesla doesn't support CarPlay so those three competitors were out. (Those of you with small kids probably know the pain of being asked to change the song dozens of times during a drive, on top of coordinating where you are and where you're going with your spouse - Siri is my mandatory copilot and I'm not even going close to a six-digit price for a car that doesn't support it. I still cringe a little every time I see someone driving a Tesla with a phone mounted beside that huge screen.)

I liked the Thunderbird branding. Sort of bummed Ford didn't choose this opportunity to revive it but I don't really care one way or another because it's about the utility. I never aspired to own a Mustang but I will admit that being in one now pleases my inner 16 year old.

Will I stick with the Mach-E in the future, whenever we upgrade? Hard to say. We love our current Mach-E but ten years from now there will likely be many, many more choices. I'm already intrigued by the upcoming Kia EV9; I'll likely be comparing the EV9 with the rumored electric Ford Explorer, among others. But for now, it's the coolest family vehicle I can imagine.

At least... the coolest one you can buy. If Ford made their electric "SuperVan" available to the public, I'd buy it:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Back in the day, would you buy your Mach-E if it was a Ford, not a Mustang? 1674389308746

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 - Limited Edition Iced White
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
I don't really care what it is named. I finally have a car that is as much fun to drive as my C7 Corvette. But so much easier to get in and out. If you are under 65, you don't know what I mean.

And for those that complain about the sloppy rear-end: It is not a C7 Corvette, it is a SUV (more or less), drive it like an SUV.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I marked "No."

When it was announced I laughed at it being another expensive sports EV without practical use and didn't follow any advertising. I jumped on the F-150 Lightning reservations when it was announced. But as I started settling in for the wait, the value of our potential trade-ins kept climbing and climbing and climbing. At some point, we were looking at the Lightning and wondering if it could really tow with the range numbers advertised and we started wondering about other EVs. Ford's electrified vehicles page kept pushing me to look at the Mustang. I jokingly suggested the Mustang. (I've always wanted one of my own but the time was never right.) My partner laughed at me and said, "if you want, we can look, but I don't really want a sports car." She found the ID.4 and we went to test drive a local one. She was happy with it, but I showed her that the Mustang wasn't a sports car, but more of a sports crossover. She agreed to test drive it.

We were finally able to test drive the Mustang down in the valley and placed our order on the way back up the mountain.

We were offered a ridiculous price for our VW Golf Alltrack by Carvana or one of those pick-up, no-hassle anti-dealers (about 20% more than the local dealer offered) and sold it.

We wouldn't have considered the Mustang if it weren't a Mustang, because, as said earlier in this thread, it was a joke that became serious.

I would seriously consider a second one if I could afford it.

Last edited:

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
yes, but back in the day was 40 years ago.
The lack of quality and the dealership model drove me to Toyota for four decades.
Ford connection: wife's grandfather ran the Ford production plant in Denver and was personally acquainted with Henry Ford; my father worked for Ford; I cleaned out the stamping plant drains at Ford as a summer job(during annual shut down); Ford was my initiation into the world of the automobile long ago.....

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I ordered my FE the day Ford revealed it. I would not have tuned in to watch the reveal if it wasn’t a Mustang.
Sponsored