Back in the day, would you buy your Mach-E if it was a Ford, not a Mustang?

Back in the day, would you buy your Mach-E if it was a Ford, not a Mustang?

• Yes. The Mustang badge is not important.

• Yes. But only if the price was cheaper by 5k or your variant in the comments.

• No. The Mustang badge is important.

Results are only viewable after voting.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
The legacy behind the name "Mustang" is what made me go take it for a test drive. It means something. It's an American icon. It's the next generation Mustang.

I'm sure everyone has stumbled across this video before, but my wife - who is hardly the car person - after watching it immediately said "I want to get one too". I'm sure that as the Mustang Mach-E evolves we'll all look back on this point in time, point to the ICE version of the Mustang and say... that's just the old Mustang. THIS is what a Mustang was always supposed to be.

Sponsored

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
No for me. The mustang badge showed Ford cared at least somewhat. Any blue oval on the front and Ford could quietly hide the car if they lose a bit of focus.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I like some of the "mustang styling" in terms of front hood and taillights, but I do not care at all about whether it was branded a Mustang.

The Mustang brand had no impact on what I was willing to pay for the car - this was the first EV (back in 21) that checked all my boxes of CUV form factor, range, appearance, and price, so that's what I bought.

The fact that it was a Ford did help, because I would have been less inclined to take a chance on an upstart manufacturer like Rivian, etc.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
There isn't an answer in the poll for me. In short, it depends. The Mustang name got me interested in it because I knew Ford was seriously considering the performance of the vehicle. With that said, they could have used just the Mach-E name, or another name, but also included the "GT" variant to signify the performance-oriented goals I was looking for.

I probably would not have considered it if they had re-used a name like Escape, but probably would have considered it if it used the Edge name.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
If it hadn't been conceived/designed/built/marketed as a Mustang, then no, I almost certainly would not have bought it. I'll admit it, I'm a snob. But I also doubt it would be as good as it is if it had been born under a different badge. Imagine the electrified monotony of an EV Taurus- they couldn't make it in anything other than brown. An EV Fiesta would be only available in blue, to match the driver's hair. An EV GT40 would be...well, amazing actually, but also 47 hundred bazillion dollars.

I love that it's a Ford, because of what that means to so many EV-hating F150 drivers. The designers and engineers having to at least look like they were trying to live up to the badge made it a good enough car that I could buy it in service of what it means to so many EV-hating F150 drivers. I don't think any other of their names would have done that.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Do I have the knowledge I do now of the car, back then? If so, I wouldn't buy it again under any moniker. If its just a flat rewind, I couldn't care less what it's called. I don't call it a Mustang, because quite frankly, its not. I call it a Mach E, but a new name or using a less exciting nameplate wouldn't have created the buzz about the car, so I understand why they did. I just don't care enough about whether it is or isn't a Mustang to influence my purchase.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I bought my Mach-E because it is a Ford. And it's not a Mustang.