rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache Jaguar Triumph Mini
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Had Car 15 months and today decided to try out keyless entry using phone. Car starts remotely but when pressing start button got message "cannot detect key".
Did some searches and thought it may be that phone needs setting up as key. Configured "My key" first which had not been done then I tried to set up the phone as a key but all instructions on line dealt with new set up when "use my phone as a key" prompt is available I gave up on this but I did try starting car with the phone (No fob nearby)got the normal "press start button screen"... which I did but got the No key detected, so gave up the idea of using my phone if I lost the fob. Then tried keyless and phone less entry, when I pressed start button I got the annoying "No key detected" and no link to use a backup code. It appears that you can only use a backup code to start the car when it is input as part of the PAAK procedure. Is the only way to put this code in to remove/disconnect phone from car and reinstall go through phone set up and PAAK procedure to put in back up code ?
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My Key is not the same as Phone As A Key. My key allows you to place limits on what certain keys are allowed to do so your teenage kids don’t go nuts with the car.

PAAK allows keyless operation. Unfortunately, it’s not legally available in the U.K.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Be careful setting up MyKey, it can only be removed with an administrative (non-MyKey) fob. If you accidentally setup both fobs as MyKey, or you only have one fob, you have to go to the dealer to get it undone.

OP
OP
rodbin

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
OUCH !! wish I had not waited until you guys across the pond had thawed out and posted earlier, just waisted a day trying to sort that out. Very considerate of our rule makers to make it easier for esteemed car thief to be able to find a hidden fob rather than crack an 8 digit code

OP
OP
rodbin

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Be careful setting up MyKey, it can only be removed with an administrative (non-MyKey) fob. If you accidentally setup both fobs as MyKey, or you only have one fob, you have to go to the dealer to get it undone.
Yes that was another couple of hours waisted discovering how to stop being limited to 80MPH

Fersigo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
For info, PAAK does NOT affect UK insurance premiums! My wife has had two Tesla Model 3 cars since 2019 and PAAK has worked flawlessly with them - and the insurance premiums have been consistent with previous ICE vehicles.

Plus, nowhere have I seen any reference to PAAK on a UK car insurance proposal questionnaire (happy to be challenged on this, though).

It couldn't possibly be that Ford is making this up as an excuse as to why an advertised feature on the MME doesn't work. Could it? Nah, surely not...!

OP
OP
rodbin

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Thanks! friends I told were amazed that PAAK was not available due to Insurance a direct question ion to Ford I think
Happy New Year to all

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It couldn't possibly be that Ford is making this up as an excuse as to why an advertised feature on the MME doesn't work. Could it? Nah, surely not...
PAAK has never been available in Mach-es bound for the U.K. market. It would actually be easier for Ford to have it enabled. I rather seriously doubt that it’s an attempt by Ford to hide s non functioning feature since they feature worked got most people quite fine.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
For info, PAAK does NOT affect UK insurance premiums! My wife has had two Tesla Model 3 cars since 2019 and PAAK has worked flawlessly with them - and the insurance premiums have been consistent with previous ICE vehicles.

Plus, nowhere have I seen any reference to PAAK on a UK car insurance proposal questionnaire (happy to be challenged on this, though).

It couldn't possibly be that Ford is making this up as an excuse as to why an advertised feature on the MME doesn't work. Could it? Nah, surely not...!
@Fersigo I’m afraid you are mistaken saying it does not affect premiums*

The Ford UK justification was that by adding PAAK to the UK spec would have increased the insurance group rating by 3 groups.

When they were picking what would and wouldn’t be included in the UK spec the insurance group additions (defined by Thatcham) played a big part. Remember another casualty was the US spec Mustang branded key that didn’t stop transmitting after a few minutes of inactivity, thus allowing theft by skimming. If that had been carried over as well that was another step up in group/premiums.

I think they wanted to keep the Mach-E in the high 30’s low 40’s of insurance groups for to make them more attractive to buyers… and it did they did succeed in that… but they also pissed off a load of people by omitting features.

The Tesla comparison is quite apt - yes they have all those features that Mach-E had dropped “for insurance purposes” - but what’s the insurance group for a Model 3?

I’ll answer that - Group 48 or 50 depending on specification (Group 50 being the highest insurance group possible)

So what would you prefer? PAAK and a Mustang branded key and be Group 50, or no PAAK and a crappy looking key and be Group 38 ?

*If you want to fact check me go to Parkers guide where you can see the UK Insurance groups for all vehicles. (link)

Last edited:

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
@Fersigo I’m afraid you are mistaken saying it does not affect premiums*

The Ford UK justification was that by adding PAAK to the UK spec would have increased the insurance group rating by 3 groups.

When they were picking what would and wouldn’t be included in the UK spec the insurance group additions (defined by Thatcham) played a big part. Remember another casualty was the US spec Mustang branded key that didn’t stop transmitting after a few minutes of inactivity, thus allowing theft by skimming. If that had been carried over as well that was another step up in group/premiums.

I think they wanted to keep the Mach-E in the high 30’s low 40’s of insurance groups for to make them more attractive to buyers… and it did they did succeed in that… but they also pissed off a load of people by omitting features.

The Tesla comparison is quite apt - yes they have all those features that Mach-E had dropped “for insurance purposes” - but what’s the insurance group for a Model 3?

I’ll answer that - Group 48 or 50 depending on specification (Group 50 being the highest insurance group possible)

So what would you prefer? PAAK and a Mustang branded key and be Group 50, or no PAAK and a crappy looking key and be Group 38 ?

*If you want to fact check me go to Parkers guide where you can see the UK Insurance groups for all vehicles. (link)
Interesting link to Parkers Guide đź‘Ť
Sponsored