Baffling dashboard decisions by Ford

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
My first extended weekend trip of driving has brought out a lot of minor interface annoyances for me:

Why does each driving mode have a different driver's dashboard screen with different levels of information? For example, Engage is the only one that appears to show Brake Coach even though it has its own toggle in Settings.

Why can't you get mi/kWH on the screen with the battery level and distance to empty? Why do I have to open up the Trip app from the center screen, which can't even correctly end a prior trip when I turn the car back on?

Why can't I see the kWH rate of charging on the dash so I can compare it to what the charging station is saying?

Why can't I choose a Calm Screen design of my own liking instead of having to look at a Kia EV6 ad?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Baffling dashboard decisions by Ford 1640562820783

The good thing is software can be fixed, which is lucky because there are many aspects of the current interface that are a dog's breakfast.
Sponsored

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
#1 Because it was designed be a select group in house at Ford and they didn't ask customers what they wanted or what would be useful.

#2 See #1
#3 See #1
#4 Did you read #1 yet?

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
My first extended weekend trip of driving has brought out a lot of minor interface annoyances for me:

Why does each driving mode have a different driver's dashboard screen with different levels of information? For example, Engage is the only one that appears to show Brake Coach even though it has its own toggle in Settings.

Why can't you get mi/kWH on the screen with the battery level and distance to empty? Why do I have to open up the Trip app from the center screen, which can't even correctly end a prior trip when I turn the car back on?

Why can't I see the kWH rate of charging on the dash so I can compare it to what the charging station is saying?

Why can't I choose a Calm Screen design of my own liking instead of having to look at a Kia EV6 ad?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Baffling dashboard decisions by Ford 1640562820783

The good thing is software can be fixed, which is lucky because there are many aspects of the current interface that are a dog's breakfast.
I really enjoy the UI. I wish there was a little more info/customization available, but I understand why they did what they did. I think they wanted to keep it clean and simple without too much clutter.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I like most aspects of the dash after considering a Model 3. I would love a hard push button to open the trunk.
The software buttons are fine I just think the ones like that need to be more easily accessible. I’m sure they will get there.

BrimstoneNJ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Shadow Black SR RWD, 57 Ford Thunderbird ICE
Occupation
Retired Architect
Country flag
I like most aspects of the dash after considering a Model 3. I would love a hard push button to open the trunk.
There's a DIY post in the mods section - it looks pretty easy.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
The thing that irritates me is the seat heater icon. Why not just press it once, twice or three times instead of a slider, especially with the bouncy suspension. Surely this would also mean less processing power for the system as there's no moving graphic involved. (Evey little helps in memory use and responsiveness if some lines of code can be deleted).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
To answer one of your questions, brake coach is only displayed in Engage because that the only mode in which it’s available. The switch is to disable it. I don’t know how that would be improved.

Neilthepilot

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 MME Premium, Ram 1500, Wrangler, FR3
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
The thing that irritates me is the seat heater icon. Why not just press it once, twice or three times instead of a slider, especially with the bouncy suspension. Surely this would also mean less processing power for the system as there's no moving graphic involved. (Evey little helps in memory use and responsiveness if some lines of code can be deleted).
I think the volume knob should become active when you touch one of the sliders. Touch a slider and use the knob to make the adjustment.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the volume knob should become active when you touch one of the sliders. Touch a slider and use the knob to make the adjustment.
I just wish the volume knob actually adjusted the volume every time I use it! It seems like you have rotate first to wake it up, then come back and adjust the volume.

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To answer one of your questions, brake coach is only displayed in Engage because that the only mode in which it’s available. The switch is to disable it. I don’t know how that would be improved.
Obvious improvement would be make it available in all 3 modes. Why just the one?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I though this thread was about the UI, not the operational aspects of the car.
But the answer is that whisper uses very little regen, and unbridled uses max regen. There would be nothing to “coach”.

OP
OP
KevinS

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I though this thread was about the UI, not the operational aspects of the car. But the answer is that whisper uses very little regen, and unbridled uses max regen. There would be nothing to “coach”.
The concept is important regardless of driving mode to me. Perhaps we just differ on the expectations of "Brake Coach." I have no clue how much regen power is actually being generated in any mode except that I can capture 100% of it if I'm in Engaged mode.

And if I look away for 3 seconds, sorry Charlie. It's gone.

What I would like to know for all 3 modes is how much regen kWH power I'm generating for a drive. Have the toggle in the Settings make it appear on or off as a cumulative number by the battery gauge for the trip.

I have no clue how my driving style and efficiency is actually altered by the driving mode. If I'm generating more regen in Unbridled mode, maybe it's more efficient so long as I'm not flooring it off the line every time. Right now I have no clue.
Sponsored