Base Select SR, No Options, Best EV Deal in NJ?

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Now that I've had my base Shadow Black "entry level" Mach E for a few days, I'm convinced this is the most incredible EV value right now in NJ--heck maybe one of the best "deals" on any new car.

I have a stupidly great looking car that's a blast drive with a mammoth "gee wiz" screen and "pony lamps" that make friends go "wow" at night. Awesome auto-high beam headlamps with adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, real comfy power "pleather" seat with, uh, LUMBAR support and TONS of room including a DARN FRUNK.

On top of that, the mammoth screen has a gazillion customization options that let me choose how I want to drive, it has great connectivity, wireless charging & CarPlay, an actual LEGIT stock sound system that sounds better than mud, motion detectors, a decent, if not great, rear camera and even though no 360 camera the sensor overview with the car is still nice.

All-in-all, this is a very well apportioned "bare bones" trim. Sure, I might be cursing no heated seats/steering wheel in the winter--but what I REALLY want is ventilated seats and that's not possible anyway.

What's more, if you grab one of these puppies, you're getting $12,500 off. After all these credits, that makes it just slightly more than what I paid for a fully loaded Chevy Volt back in 2017--a car that was half its size and had no power seats (wtf?).

Am I out of mind? I think Ford really did put a lot on this base model. It seems they did not want *any* trim of this car to come out looking at all "cheap" or seeming like it "cut corners." Bravo to an automaker for making an actual legit base model of a vehicle that doesn't have some gimped issue like hand-rolled windows or some other bean counter stupidness to steer people away from it. Instead, they made an affordable, legitimate entry point into a car that does not feel cheaped-out or bland in any way.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
agreed, it is a terrific value - more so with the extra $3k NJ rebate.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Definitely a great value - especially if you have access to state incentives on top. Even with just the $7500 federal, the base Select is cheaper than a M3 or MY and just a bit more than a new Bolt, Kona, and Niro with more cargo space, speed, charging speed, and semi-autonomous capabilities.

I have the C&T package, though, and mainly for the heated wheel and BlueCruise option down the road. Even happier about it now that they've announced that the Tesla FSD subscription is going to be $200 a month...

jaindesi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
@MachEnation Did you get the AWD or RWD? I am also located in NJ and thinking about getting Mach E. I am leaning toward Premium with bigger battery. Not sure if it makes sense. If you compare the Tesla Model Y, it comes standard with AWD with 326 MPH range. Again, not sure which route to go with.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
@MachEnation Did you get the AWD or RWD? I am also located in NJ and thinking about getting Mach E. I am leaning toward Premium with bigger battery. Not sure if it makes sense. If you compare the Tesla Model Y, it comes standard with AWD with 326 MPH range. Again, not sure which route to go with.
FYI: the 326 mile range is an exaggeration. Edmunds and others have done real world range tests with the Y and Mach E and the Y gets less. As a result Musk recently increased the battery size a little in the Y, but I haven't seen a range test with that bigger battery yet.

jaindesi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
FYI: the 326 mile range is an exaggeration. Edmunds and others have done real world range tests with the Y and Mach E and the Y gets less. As a result Musk recently increased the battery size a little in the Y, but I haven't seen a range test with that bigger battery yet.
Appricate the quick response. Are people in Tristate area buying AWD or RWD? I reading reviews that having RWD with Snow tires in winter will be good enough.

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
Appricate the quick response. Are people in Tristate area buying AWD or RWD? I reading reviews that having RWD with Snow tires in winter will be good enough.
AWD seems to be more common.

I went with RWD. Coming from a Fusion Hybrid, the performance on the RWD is leaps and bounds better anyway and I didn't want to pay a premium and sacrifice range. Winter driving was also less of a factor as my wife has an SUV that is the go-to if roads get bad.

Either is a good choice. More of a personal decision.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Can't speak for everyone, but I have an ER RWD and I live in south jersey. I've driven 3 RWD mustang coupes in the snow but would not recommend it :) . With all the weight distributed evenly the Mach E feels like it will be much more surefooted in snow than those coupes that had all the weight in front, but I haven't had an opportunity to drive in snow yet.

OP
OP
MachEnation

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Regarding RWD, the ONLY trim in NJ where you get a $5K rebate is the BASE RWD SELECT with ZERO options. Once you add AWD, you're over the $45K soft cap, which adds another $3K in costs (by losing that much of the NJ rebate) PLUS the cost of the option. I viewed it as having to spend over $5K just for heated seats. Absurd.

And as @timbop noted, RWD in a modern EV is nothing like the RWD of yore. Weight distribution is critically important, but don't count out the modern stability control systems that apply braking to any and ALL slipping wheels as needed, regardless if you have AWD or RWD.

In the end, weight distribution, modern stability control, AND GOOD TIRES, really make a RWD Mach E very controlled.

FWIW, I just drove my RWD through lashing torrential rain yesterday. I was VERY impressed with its confident handling.

jaindesi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
I am leaning toward the premium RWD. I i know from rebate POV, I will below 5K. I do have the option for X plan pricing from my work. Is there anyway to negotiate any further on this price?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Base Select SR, No Options, Best EV Deal in NJ? Capture.PNG

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I do have the option for X plan pricing from my work. Is there anyway to negotiate any further on this price?
No, not at this time. The law of supply and demand is against you as a buyer right now; I would pay the X plan price and say "thank you very much for taking x plan"
Sponsored