Battery charged to 90% ... NOT!

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I actually had the opposite happen over the weekend.

My car had charged to 90% overnight. I got in the car and it showed 90%. As I was leaving my neighborhood, I looked down and suddenly the car was reporting 92% SoC. And I know I didn't regen 2% of battery driving in the neighborhood.
I've experienced the same - charged to 90%, after moving out of the garage it went to 89%, but in about half a mile of driving it went to 91%, and then shortly to 92%. And at the end of a 3-mile trip it was in 90% again, so I guess I've got a free trip!
Sponsored

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I actually had the opposite happen over the weekend.

My car had charged to 90% overnight. I got in the car and it showed 90%. As I was leaving my neighborhood, I looked down and suddenly the car was reporting 92% SoC. And I know I didn't regen 2% of battery driving in the neighborhood.
That is very odd too. Maybe the GOM applies to the SOC as well. Although that wouldn't make any sense. If so that would be a pretty disconcerting.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Still having this issue ... I recently tried charging up to 100% just to see if that helped and still had the same behavior. It dropped 2% just by turning the MME on and by another 3% after driving around the block.

And no in case anyone is thinking it .. I didn't try street racing down the block, just normal 20 mph driving ?

Haven't wanted to bring the car in to get this fixed yet since apparently there aren't any loaners now.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Still having this issue ... I recently tried charging up to 100% just to see if that helped and still had the same behavior. It dropped 2% just by turning the MME on and by another 3% after driving around the block.

And no in case anyone is thinking it .. I didn't try street racing down the block, just normal 20 mph driving ?

Haven't wanted to bring the car in to get this fixed yet since apparently there aren't any loaners now.
Have you let the battery get low lately? Like down to 20%?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium Space White
Country flag

I had half of my batter replaced on my ER AWD. I have noticed mine dropping about 2% after unplugging and pulling just down the road. My range is still showing about 40 miles less than expected as well. I have had it back for about 2 weeks now and have a longer trip over the weekend. Hoping it will adjust and get back to normal during the trip.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you let the battery get low lately? Like down to 20%?

That pretty much mirrors my experience as well. Today was the first time I saw the 5% drop after about 30 seconds of driving after unplugging.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Have you let it charge to 100%? Just based on looking at a charging diagram from my ChargePoint, when it charges to 100% it drops voltage down at the very end as all the modules come up to 100%. It may help the BMS kind of reset and give more accurate readings.

My theory on these oddities has been that its just confused on what SoC its actually at and as you start pulling power it realizes its higher or lower than It thought.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Have you let it charge to 100%? Just based on looking at a charging diagram from my ChargePoint, when it charges to 100% it drops voltage down at the very end as all the modules come up to 100%. It may help the BMS kind of reset and give more accurate readings.

My theory on these oddities has been that its just confused on what SoC its actually at and as you start pulling power it realizes its higher or lower than It thought.
Yep went to 100% to give that a shot and no luck.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Dang. Lets hope when they get around to sending the update that changes the charging curve, maybe it will fix that as well.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
Dang. Lets hope when they get around to sending the update that changes the charging curve, maybe it will fix that as well.
My car was doing the same thing. I charged to 90 % after I got home today and it reported reached charge and range 179 miles. After reading the thread and realizing my car goes to 88% as soon as I back out of the garage. I decided to charge to 100% since I will be driving tomorrow and the charging started and reported 202 mi range and will reach 227 mi at 100%, what the heck. So I went to the car while it is charging and it is also reporting what Fordpass was. Where did all the range come from, yes I know GOM is useless, but I have never seen this. It has been getting only 2.2 mi/kw, which is the value I use when taking a trip.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My car was doing the same thing. I charged to 90 % after I got home today and it reported reached charge and range 179 miles. After reading the thread and realizing my car goes to 88% as soon as I back out of the garage. I decided to charge to 100% since I will be driving tomorrow and the charging started and reported 202 mi range and will reach 227 mi at 100%, what the heck. So I went to the car while it is charging and it is also reporting what Fordpass was. Where did all the range come from, yes I know GOM is useless, but I have never seen this. It has been getting only 2.2 mi/kw, which is the value I use when taking a trip.
Since the car was charging, it may have warmed the battery up enough for the GoM to calculate with a warm battery, instead of figuring it would need to warm it up.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Hmmm. I’d encourage you to take it in and have the dealer look at it. You will at least have a record of your issue.

Id ask them to look at the individual cell SOC across the pack and look for any soft cells. If they are all fine then maybe it’s the GOM algorithm not liking something you do. If you do have a few soft cells you will want to know that as a potential warranty issue.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Part of me thinks it might be an issue with what the car is reporting the SOC is, but the actual SOC is something different. Basically a battery calibration issue, which others have suggested. The part I can't figure out is why does the large drop occur after a charging session to 90%. I usually charge every other day when the charge is around 25-35%. On the days I don't charge this issue doesn't happen.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
Part of me thinks it might be an issue with what the car is reporting the SOC is, but the actual SOC is something different. Basically a battery calibration issue, which others have suggested. The part I can't figure out is why does the large drop occur after a charging session to 90%. I usually charge every other day when the charge is around 25-35%. On the days I don't charge this issue doesn't happen.
That would also explain why the GOM is not very reliable, if SOC is not accurate then then GOM can't be either.
Sponsored