cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Local dealer in SoCal said they can do it, they're just backed up by a week and a half. I think that's the case for most around here.
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Recognizing that, but with all due respect, you do not own a GT or GTPE trim.
I updated my GT PE this morning. No noticeable changes, other than what has already been mentioned about charge locations getting wiped and 1PD turning off.

Wide open throttle is the same, even after repeated runs.

I'm in no way familiar with any of this stuff, but is there a chance there could have been something unintended causing additional heat and when you added the heat from WOT and/or DCFC it was too much? Or is that just not even possible?

Pina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Passport, 2022 Mach-E Premium Ordered
Country flag
For the people asking about the update in Canada: I talked to my sales guy. He said that the Canadian dealers usually get the fixes a few days after the American ones. So we should hear something soon.
I still don't even see the recall on my app or when I log into the Ford site for my Feb 2022 build.

LectricGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I updated my GT PE this morning. No noticeable changes, other than what has already been mentioned about charge locations getting wiped and 1PD turning off.

I'm in no way familiar with any of this stuff, but is there a chance there could have been something unintended causing a heat and when you added the heat from WOT and/or DCFC it was too much? Or is that just not even possible?
Thanks for the report.

The issue comes from high current levels through the contactor, moreso sustained/repeated high current levels without a break in between to let things cool off somewhat. It doesn't matter which direction the current flows (i.e. charging/discharging) as it still results in heat.
DCFC, depending on the charge rate and duration can subject the contactor to a lot of heat through a prolonged build-up. Similarly, repeated hard acceleration can create several pulsed heat events that are somewhat cumulative. Having more/larger motors mean larger discharge current levels.

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue 4x Extended
Country flag
I’m also taking a big trip this weekend so wanted to get this fixed beforehand. I called my dealer and they took the car right in. I waited a little under two hours in the lobby while I got some work done. Might be worth a call!
I’m also taking a big trip this weekend so wanted to get this fixed beforehand. I called my dealer and they took the car right in. I waited a little under two hours in the lobby while I got some work done. Might be worth a call!
Good idea, but no luck on my end. My original dealer and another one nearby can't get me in till the week of 7/11. I might try dealers in my destination since I'll be there next week to see if any of them can take care of it. That way I'd only be "risking it" on the first leg and not the return trip. And maybe OTA will save me, but doubt that will come before the return leg.

Bullitt_&_MME

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Bullitt; 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
So much fun when my Cleveland dealer can't even do 21P22 yet, let alone 22S41

jamelski

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE
Country flag
Just got my 2021 GTPE update at dealer today. Only thing I noticed is my car at 100% says 270 miles never said that in 9000 miles. Car still does the full power for five seconds and then you get the bars. Bars still come on the freeway over 85 miles an hour. One thing I like I know the car got the brakes updated there a lot smoother now at a stop before they were kind of stopped abruptly when the regen breaking stopped and went to the actual friction pads now that is gone. So far I’m happy. Glad it got fixed before my road trip to Seattle and back to Sacramento

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just got my 2021 GTPE update at dealer today. Only thing I noticed is my car at 100% says 270 miles never said that in 9000 miles. Car still does the full power for five seconds and then you get the bars. Bars still come on the freeway over 85 miles an hour. One thing I like I know the car got the brakes updated there a lot smoother now at a stop before they were kind of stopped abruptly when the regen breaking stopped and went to the actual friction pads now that is gone. So far I’m happy. Glad it got fixed before my road trip to Seattle and back to Sacramento
Your driving history was probably reset, so it shows the standard range. Once you start driving it a bit more, it'll update and go down, don't you worry!

Xweb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium eAWD
Country flag
One thing I like I know the car got the brakes updated there a lot smoother now at a stop before they were kind of stopped abruptly when the regen breaking stopped and went to the actual friction pads now that is gone.
Are you saying that the brakes are acting differently/smoother after this recall update? Or did you separately have the brakes looked at and adjusted by the service techs?

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Are you saying that the brakes are acting differently/smoother after this recall update? Or did you separately have the brakes looked at and adjusted by the service techs?
When I performed the update, it turned off my 1-pedal driving setting, so it just kept going when I let off the accelerator (hmm, almost called it the gas.) If that happened in this case, it would definitely feel different too.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag

I'm in no way familiar with any of this stuff, but is there a chance there could have been something unintended causing additional heat and when you added the heat from WOT and/or DCFC it was too much? Or is that just not even possible?
We know that 0.6% of MMEs sold in the US have had this failure so far. The initial recall from Ford stated that due to variability in manufacturing, some of the contactors were not robust enough. Some members have guessed that between 1% and 5% of contactors may be faulty and eventually fail. It is possible that the software fix monitors the resistance in the contactors and will detect when they are about to fail. Then it will reduce power to the contactor and warn the driver so that they can drive to a dealer to get a replacement part, rather than experiencing a failure that leads to a car stuck somewhere that won't start. In this scenario, the only time this software affects the car is when it detects an upcoming failure in the contactor. Between 95% and 99% of MMEs will never have a failure in their contactors, so they will never be affected by this software update. Maybe, Ford has not specifically said what the software update is doing.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We know that 0.6% of MMEs sold in the US have had this failure so far. The initial recall from Ford stated that due to variability in manufacturing, some of the contactors were not robust enough. Some members have guessed that between 1% and 5% of contactors may be faulty and eventually fail. It is possible that the software fix monitors the resistance in the contactors and will detect when they are about to fail. Then it will reduce power to the contactor and warn the driver so that they can drive to a dealer to get a replacement part, rather than experiencing a failure that leads to a car stuck somewhere that won't start. In this scenario, the only time this software affects the car is when it detects an upcoming failure in the contactor. Between 95% and 99% of MMEs will never have a failure in their contactors, so they will never be affected by this software update. Maybe, Ford has not specifically said what the software update is doing.
Yes, I understand all that.

My question is: Does anything else cause heat, or a bug that caused something to draw/discharge power when it shouldn't have been, to the contractors which could cause them to have been at a higher starting temperature, therefore making repeated WOT events and/or DCFC charging put the contactors in the "danger zone" temp wise? Whereas if this "something" wasn't drawing/discharging power, the starting temp would have been lower thus the max temp created from WOT events and DCFC charging would be lower, too.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Yes, I understand all that.

My question is: Does anything else cause heat, or a bug that caused something to draw/discharge power when it shouldn't have been, to the contractors which could cause them to have been at a higher starting temperature, therefore making repeated WOT events and/or DCFC charging put the contactors in the "danger zone" temp wise? Whereas if this "something" wasn't drawing/discharging power, the starting temp would have been lower thus the max temp created from WOT events and DCFC charging would be lower, too.
The only flaw I’ve seen is a 500a rated relay in a place that flows 750a or higher at some points for an extended time. Perhaps they misjudged the quantity of lead feet?
Sponsored