Battery health best practice

Malfy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hi,
At the moment we’re driving less bc of Covid and probably only need to charge once a week. We’ve been charging once the battery gets to 30-40%. Would it better to charge more often (say every other day) so we’d be going from 60% charging up to 80% regularly ? Or no difference?
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Hi,
At the moment we’re driving less bc of Covid and probably only need to charge once a week. We’ve been charging once the battery gets to 30-40%. Would it better to charge more often (say every other day) so we’d be going from 60% charging up to 80% regularly ? Or no difference?
No that is fine. If it’s cold though, you can leave it plugged in so it can maintain the battery though. The batteries like to not be too low or too high, 50% is the recommended to store it for a long time. So in your case it’s just preference on how often you want to charge it.

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
No that is fine. If it’s cold though, you can leave it plugged in so it can maintain the battery though. The batteries like to not be too low or too high, 50% is the recommended to store it for a long time. So in your case it’s just preference on how often you want to charge it.
I get a warning on the small screen to plug-in (NOT necessarily charge it) the car when it's too cold.
What exactly does car do when plugged in and NOT charging?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I get a warning on the small screen to plug-in (NOT necessarily charge it) the car when it's too cold.
What exactly does car do when plugged in and NOT charging?
It will pull power as needed to keep the battery above freezing (better for long term health).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It will pull power as needed to keep the battery above freezing (better for long term health).
And it does. I've posted graphs.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
It can do this on 110V right?
Yes (as far as I know), but that may not provide enough power to fully do the job - certainly not and charge at the same time.

Still better than nothing.
Sponsored