Battery Health Recs from Ford

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
Just got 1.6.0 today and have not tested charging. I will and for me it would most definitely be sleeping between the time I come home and plug in and when the late night schedule kicks in. That is not working for you now either and it does not even wake up to charge? That will need to be patched as that will impact all of us. I thought 1.6.0 was just a gateway install and had no effect on functionality. It has slept more and deeper as time goes on with less info being reported to the app. If "improving" is less info and more sleeping they are moving in the right direction.
I just received 1.6.0 as well. The car's already been idle for several hours. I'll wait to plug it in tonight, and will see if it charges overnight at the scheduled (11:00 pm) time.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just got 1.6.0 today and have not tested charging. I will and for me it would most definitely be sleeping between the time I come home and plug in and when the late night schedule kicks in. That is not working for you now either and it does not even wake up to charge? That will need to be patched as that will impact all of us. I thought 1.6.0 was just a gateway install and had no effect on functionality. It has slept more and deeper as time goes on with less info being reported to the app. If "improving" is less info and more sleeping they are moving in the right direction.
Sounds like the OTAs affecting my charge schedule issue is isolated to just my car. I haven't heard of anyone else having the same issue. I hope it stays that way...

Sundevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Agree. I am lucky in that I can plug in at work but many others don't have that luxury. My brother is in the same situation as you and he would sure appreciate a feature like that.

Out of curiosity, have you tried setting two departure times? Say 3 pm and then 5 pm and enabling the "allow conditioning for departure times off plug"? That should start the conditioning process for 30 minutes and cool the cabin as well as the battery.

Worth a try?
Haven't tried this. I'll give it a shot this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Haven't tried this. I'll give it a shot this week. Thanks for the suggestion.
Of course only useful for afternoons above 104 degrees. That seems to be the threshold where the battery wants to be cooled a bit.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Of course only useful for afternoons above 104 degrees. That seems to be the threshold where the battery wants to be cooled a bit.
I will let you know if I have the same prob with charging (or not) but it is sitting at 79% not plugged in right now.

As you note it is the other way around here but I think if it is sitting in temps of 0 to -20 F for days that it would monitor and keep the pack warmed up a bit? I know we use block heaters so the anti-freeze does not slush up. Not too sure of what happens when it just sits as I have not caught it doing too much. You are the first I have read to flag lack of monitoring (in another thread also it was mentioned when it first appeared). That would be a full time job for you when it is too hot.

Ford should explain the BMS logic and best practices a bit clearer. I thought for sure it should be monitoring itself in both parked states. Got it in February when it was warming up but winter will come again. There has to be simple block (pack) heater logic in there somewhere especially when the block heater power is 240V and it has a percentage of 88 KWh on board.

Can you toggle off auto shut off in 1/2 an hour and just leave it on? I do not think anyone will notice the violation of any idling laws.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Sounds like the OTAs affecting my charge schedule issue is isolated to just my car. I haven't heard of anyone else having the same issue. I hope it stays that way...
FWIW, I have not had the problem and got 1.6 a few days ago.

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
Update: Mine charged overnight with no issues from 1.6.0.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Update: Mine charged overnight with no issues from 1.6.0.
Nice.
Good to see. I will find out on Tuesday morning if my charge schedule works again.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice.
Good to see. I will find out on Tuesday morning if my charge schedule works again.
It is now fully updated with 1.6.0 and 3.27. Paak and the 12V.

It was under the cover but I wanted to test the charging and was greeted with this yesterday morning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Battery Health Recs from Ford Untitled-1

Did not want to pull the cover off so plugged in and no go. Unplugged then remoted window down and up and it woke up. Plugged it back in and got plugged in not charging. It work here last night and is at 85% this morning.

I think it should come on to cool the pack way before 113 F but that is just me and safety factors. From you and another creditable source it does not come on to maintain the pack at all.

If you think about it all the bells and whistles like carplay etc. do not mean squat compared to the basics of driving, charging and maintaining. These are the only things that interest me. The basics should be addressed way before any paak. Paak is a glitch not maintaining itself is a defect/flaw in my opinion. I feel for you two. Wish Ford would clear the air and explain what is going on behind the scenes and let us understand best practices for maintaining our investments. Now I am hoping for a meaningful OTA before it freezes up again.

I know it sounds strange but after the server paak/passcodes events I had to toggle conductivity off and back on in the vehicle to get charging totally functioning again (bit diff than your prob). Worth a try as reset seems to be a thing with this current OS

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And yes. No matter how high the temps....it won't cool the battery when plugged in unless it is inside the charge schedule.
Thanks Ford. Let's keep "improving" the car. ?
Interesting!

Mine ... behaves as Greg described.
Bump

What responses have you two received from your dealer/ford with regard to this? The MME not maintaining itself under extreme temperature conditions is a bit more concerning for some than paak glitches once and a while or FP drains a cheap phone battery.

After dropping a bomb like this a follow up would be gr8. Any update status reports would be appreciated. It appears Ford will keep all in the dark as to what has been obvious for sometime and has only gotten worse over time. Wonder if it will try to charge frozen batteries or it is smart enough not to put owners in that danger?

Think I will keep bumping this until more info available. This is concerning to some. It should maintain and protect the HVB when it is plugged in or not that is just common sense and should be expected whether specifically stated or not.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Bump

What responses have you two received from your dealer/ford with regard to this? The MME not maintaining itself under extreme temperature conditions is a bit more concerning for some than paak glitches once and a while or FP drains a cheap phone battery.

After dropping a bomb like this a follow up would be gr8. Any update status reports would be appreciated. It appears Ford will keep all in the dark as to what has been obvious for sometime and has only gotten worse over time. Wonder if it will try to charge frozen batteries or it is smart enough not to put owners in that danger?

Think I will keep bumping this until more info available. This is concerning to some. It should maintain and protect the HVB when it is plugged in or not that is just common sense and should be expected whether specifically stated or not.
Mt dealer really has no clue how it is supposed to work. All they can say is plug it in while parked and the car should be fine.

No word from anyone at Ford either. Not even an acknowledgement that a the car is behaving as designed or not behaving as intended. Silence.

My car still won't cool the battery while parked on plug unless all the following conditions are met.
1. Battery temp over 40 Celsius or so...
2. Plugged in
3. Fully charged to set limit. (Or charging of course)
4. Current time is inside charge schedule
5. Vehicle is awake

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mt dealer really has no clue how it is supposed to work. All they can say is plug it in while parked and the car should be fine.

No word from anyone at Ford either. Not even an acknowledgement that a the car is behaving as designed or not behaving as intended. Silence.

My car still won't cool the battery while parked on plug unless all the following conditions are met.
1. Battery temp over 40 Celsius or so...
2. Plugged in
3. Fully charged to set limit. (Or charging of course)
4. Current time is inside charge schedule
5. Vehicle is awake
Thank you for the update. Not the one I wanted to hear but the understanding is appreciated. Just read an Alaska report that the Y will lose 5 to 7% a day in the cold where as the MME loses nothing. I would give the 50 cents a day no problem to ensure my batteries are maintained.

Bump
@Ford Motor Company

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Still warm enough here to trigger the battery cooling while parked on plug.
Was SUPER LOUD today. Much louder than I remember. Ran like that for a good 5 minutes and then throttled down to a low roar for the next 20-25 minutes. During those first 5 minutes, there would be absolutely no way that two people could hold a conversation while standing next to the vehicle. Not without shouting at each other to get over the roaring sound.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Still warm enough here to trigger the battery cooling while parked on plug.
Was SUPER LOUD today. Much louder than I remember. Ran like that for a good 5 minutes and then throttled down to a low roar for the next 20-25 minutes. During those first 5 minutes, there would be absolutely no way that two people could hold a conversation while standing next to the vehicle. Not without shouting at each other to get over the roaring sound.
It coming on is good thou.

Do you think maintenance is more active now? Want to see you post it comes on and drives you crazy without your trick and even when it is not plugged.

One problem at a time. I would say battery maintenance has priority and then carrying on a normal conversation comes a close second. Heard that sound once on mine and saw a video from across the pond.

There was a TSB to fix the loud fan noise released recently Link. At the end of that thread their are comments about it being applied in NA.

Please keep us informed. Noise is better than nothing in my books. But ya understand.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It coming on is good thou.

Do you think maintenance is more active now? Want to see you post it comes on and drives you crazy without your trick and even when it is not plugged.

One problem at a time. I would say battery maintenance has priority and then carrying on a normal conversation comes a close second. Heard that sound once on mine and saw a video from across the pond.

There was a TSB to fix the loud fan noise released recently Link. At the end of that thread their are comments about it being applied in NA.

Please keep us informed. Noise is better than nothing in my books. But ya understand.
I still have to wake up the car to get it to cool and pre-condition the cabin. Once it falls asleep it doesn't do either of those things even if I use the @macchiaz-o trick. :(

My brother said he thought he heard his car cooling in the garage while not charging so maybe there is some hope? I asked him to check it today and report back. It's pretty hot out here these last couple of days so his car SHOULD need to cool when parked at home when he gets home.
Sponsored