JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I live in PHX and park in sun every day with my Chevy bolt I have had for 3 summers now and no major issues. I have prob lost 15 miles if I had to guess but I think that’s typical from what I have read in forums for the first year of batteries. It cools the battieres as I drive home from work but is normally using 5-6 percent max of battery per the car. I end up with 180 miles or so in heat of summer charging to 90% on a car that is listed for 230 if 100% charged (215-220 in nice AZ months). My bigger problem is Garage gets hot so the car takes longer to charge as it has to cool and take breaks since garage can get to 140 degrees. I drive 80 plus miles a day and still easily charges overnight with my 240v charger. Hopefully eases some concerns as it’s been my biggest concern with my bolt and soon my mache!
I had to drive from Los Angeles area to White Sands area in NM this weekend in my ICE. It was very hot through out the 790 miles with temperatures over 110 F in Arizona and NM with some parts ranging 120s. With AC running constantly even the ICE fuel efficiency dropped a lot and not much around on this route - other than gas stations next to highway. All I could think during the trip was if I could even dare to do this trip with the Mach E. The heat for one plus lack of many charging options means the potential to run out of juice before next charging opportunity on some sections.

Glad to hear your experience in Phoenix temps , makes me feel better but for sure on long drives in summers in the hot states, I would not want to take the Mach E, at least my comfort level is not there yet.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I had to drive from Los Angeles area to White Sands area in NM this weekend in my ICE. It was very hot through out the 790 miles with temperatures over 110 F in Arizona and NM with some parts ranging 120s. With AC running constantly even the ICE fuel efficiency dropped a lot and not much around on this route - other than gas stations next to highway. All I could think during the trip was if I could even dare to do this trip with the Mach E. The heat for one plus lack of many charging options means the potential to run out of juice before next charging opportunity on some sections.

Glad to hear your experience in Phoenix temps , makes me feel better but for sure on long drives in summers in the hot states, I would not want to take the Mach E, at least my comfort level is not there yet.
That trip (LA -> White Sands, NM) looks entirely doable with the Mach-E (at least the RWD ER version):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Battery Life and Always Parking Under the Sun in Hot Weather Annotation 2020-09-07 143335

These are just arbitrary stops I picked; there are a lot of excess DCFC's along the route for backups.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Battery Life and Always Parking Under the Sun in Hot Weather Annotation 2020-09-07 143549

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

I've mapped out a similar route. I am an NMSU alum so hope to drive from Phoenix to the area without problems. The closest L3 charger is Deming and El Paso. They don't have any in Las Cruces.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I live in PHX and park in sun every day with my Chevy bolt I have had for 3 summers now and no major issues. I have prob lost 15 miles if I had to guess but I think that’s typical from what I have read in forums for the first year of batteries. It cools the battieres as I drive home from work but is normally using 5-6 percent max of battery per the car. I end up with 180 miles or so in heat of summer charging to 90% on a car that is listed for 230 if 100% charged (215-220 in nice AZ months). My bigger problem is Garage gets hot so the car takes longer to charge as it has to cool and take breaks since garage can get to 140 degrees. I drive 80 plus miles a day and still easily charges overnight with my 240v charger. Hopefully eases some concerns as it’s been my biggest concern with my bolt and soon my mache!
Yeah, unfortunately there is hardly any shade and no outlets at my work :(

But I plan to keep the car plugged in when I'm at home just for the sake of the battery conditioning.
Sponsored