Battery Life/ Preservation/Health

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
  • Again, Ford made the mistake of telling you what the actual capacity is in addition to the usable capacity - unlike GM and Tesla. They're learning and won't make that mistake again.
  • There are many threads on here from last fall discussing the increase in usable capacity. First Darren Palmer talked about it as a possibility, and then cars built later in 2021 started shipping with 91kwh usable vs 88kwh.
  • this wiki is a good place to read about the changes in each powerup/ota version. I believe 2.4.2 and/or the service bulletin that improved charging (whose number I can't remember) is when the buffer size changed so usable went from 88 to 91kwh on the ER
Thank you.
May explain why range increased.
Have to do some experimenting this summer.

OP
OP

MachSimbaaa

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
I have had my MME since Sep. 2021. I have 28,000 miles. I commute 150 miles per day. I charge to 100% everyday. At 100% my GOM indicates about 172 miles of range. So I basically fully charge and discharge my battery everyday. I have seen no degradation. I have waypoints where I check my batt %, and now that the weather is warming back up, the percentage is about the same as last year. I attribute the small difference to the change in the speed I drive. Last year i was driving at 80 MPH on the freeway and now I drive 85 MPH on the freeway.

I charge at work, so I am at 100% for only an hour or two before I start driving. I use a 9 KWH charger and it takes about 7-8 hours to charge everyday. I am usually around 12-15 % SOC when I start charging. But there have been many times throughout the winter where I was down to 5%.
I have noticed that once the car gets to 99%, the charge rate goes down to 1 KWH. That last 1 percent charge takes about 20-30 minutes.
My concern is the cooling fan, when charging at 9 KWH, the fan runs at high speed the whole day.
I hope Ford installed a durable fan motor.
When the battery is fully 100% charged, the first 1/2 mile or so, the regen does not work. I think it is because the BMS limits the charge rate to the battery to 1 KWH rate. Once I have driven about 3 miles, the regen is back to normal.

7DE00140-0431-4C00-94FA-32AEBC9E4004.jpeg
You’re my idol. How long do you intend to keep your MME? Or how much miles do you think you’ll put on it before you don’t want it?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
For one, letting you discharge down near true zero could kill the battery completely, and letting every owner go up to "true" 100% on a daily basis would mean floods of complaints about "after a year my car lost 10%". Ford doesn't have the luxury of letting users shoot themselves in the foot, even those users that know they are aiming for their big toe.

They have to engineer for the least knowledgable and first-to-scream-bloody-murder customer, just like Tesla, GM, Rivian, Kia, etc etc
correct

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
This is my/our plan with our Mach E GT PE (that we are really loving driving).

Since the ideal range to get the longest life possible on a Lithium Ion battery between 80 and 20% SOC (for long term storage the battery should be kept at 50%).

For our needs, we don't need to charge more than 85% for any of my/our daily driving around where I actually go in LA, Orange, Riverside and Ventura counties. My goal is to use this car for 100% of my /our driving needs (and enjoyment)...but we intend to also to keep the battery and the car for as long as possible.

Since the actual battery capacity is 98kW (possibly 99kW) this makes the 85% SOC setting of the pack 77.35kW and that is 79% of the actual capacity. 80% SOC is 72.8kW or 74% of the actual capacity. Typically for every day use we only charge to 80% SOC.

If I/we take a road trip in the car, we may charge to 90% or higher for those special occasions, however, I/we typically take an airplane and then rent a car at our destination. We have not taken a road trip from the house since we drove to Oregon to see the total eclipse in 2017 (FYI: totally worth it and hoping to go to Texas in 2024).

Since 20% actual SOC of a 98kW pack is 19.6kW, this translates to 22% reported SOC...so for my daily driving I am trying to keep our car between a reported 85-22% SOC for daily driving (as this is the "sweet spot"). So that is 58kW of daily use with the least stress on the battery. This is enough for us to go about 160-190 miles without stopping for a charge and is more than we typically do on any given day in the greater LA area. The good thing is we also would use DC fast charge if we need it.

NOTE: We are the original owners of a factory built Toyota 2002 Rav4EV (rated at 80-100 miles of range) that we still use several days per week. The batteries were built 20 years ago and designed around 1994. This pack has close to 100K miles on it and we still have at least 80% of the pack (have not pushed it more than 67 miles in the past year and we typically drive it locally around 20-40 miles when we drive it). We are trying not to push that vintage EV super hard as we want the pack to last for as long as possible on the original chemistry.

We hope that we can get 15-20 years out usable range of the Mach E and the original pack.

OP
OP

MachSimbaaa

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
This is my/our plan with our Mach E GT PE (that we are really loving driving).

Since the ideal range to get the longest life possible on a Lithium Ion battery between 80 and 20% SOC (for long term storage the battery should be kept at 50%).

For our needs, we don't need to charge more than 85% for any of my/our daily driving around where I actually go in LA, Orange, Riverside and Ventura counties. My goal is to use this car for 100% of my /our driving needs (and enjoyment)...but we intend to also to keep the battery and the car for as long as possible.

Since the actual battery capacity is 98kW (possibly 99kW) this makes the 85% SOC setting of the pack 77.35kW and that is 79% of the actual capacity. 80% SOC is 72.8kW or 74% of the actual capacity. Typically for every day use we only charge to 80% SOC.

If I/we take a road trip in the car, we may charge to 90% or higher for those special occasions, however, I/we typically take an airplane and then rent a car at our destination. We have not taken a road trip from the house since we drove to Oregon to see the total eclipse in 2017 (FYI: totally worth it and hoping to go to Texas in 2024).

Since 20% actual SOC of a 98kW pack is 19.6kW, this translates to 22% reported SOC...so for my daily driving I am trying to keep our car between a reported 85-22% SOC for daily driving (as this is the "sweet spot"). So that is 58kW of daily use with the least stress on the battery. This is enough for us to go about 160-190 miles without stopping for a charge and is more than we typically do on any given day in the greater LA area. The good thing is we also would use DC fast charge if we need it.

NOTE: We are the original owners of a factory built Toyota 2002 Rav4EV (rated at 80-100 miles of range) that we still use several days per week. The batteries were built 20 years ago and designed around 1994. This pack has close to 100K miles on it and we still have at least 80% of the pack (have not pushed it more than 67 miles in the past year and we typically drive it locally around 20-40 miles when we drive it). We are trying not to push that vintage EV super hard as we want the pack to last for as long as possible on the original chemistry.

We hope that we can get 15-20 years out usable range of the Mach E and the original pack.
Amazing. I’m hoping for 15-20 years too.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think it's great that a few people plan on keeping their vehicles that long. Like with an ICE vehicle, that's a very easy thing to do if you care for a vehicle.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The concern for the lithium ion batteries is less about reaching a given state of charge than being held at that state of charge. Lithium batteries are healthiest when kept close to 50%. SOC. My normal routine to maintain long-term battery health is to charge at home to 80% and recharge once it gets down to below 40%. I usually charge 2-3 times each week.

If I'm going to be driving farther, I have no issues at all with charging that morning to 100%. It won't stay at that SOC for more than a few hours depending on departure time.

If I'm on a road trip, I generally try to avoid going below 20% but have taken it below 10% when the distance between chargers merits it. Again, it won't be below 20% for very long.

Like all things, moderation is a good rule of thumb for lithium ion batteries. However, they are quite robust, so don't sweat the days you depart from moderation.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag