Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Project Mgr
Country flag
I was lucky enough to pick up my First Edition yesterday from the dealership and when I start to drive home with it, I noticed I was at 99% battery but only 170 miles to go. When I arrived home, I charged the car until complete and now it is at 177 miles at 100%.

Do I need some education on battery life for the car? I know it is estimated at 270 miles and this has me a little worried. Does the car need more experience on the road before I will see the real mileage after a full charge?
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I was lucky enough to pick up my First Edition yesterday from the dealership and when I start to drive home with it, I noticed I was at 99% battery but only 170 miles to go. When I arrived home, I charged the car until complete and now it is at 177 miles at 100%.

Do I need some education on battery life for the car? I know it is estimated at 270 miles and this has me a little worried. Does the car need more experience on the road before I will see the real mileage after a full charge?
The estimated range on the dash is what is most commonly referred to in the EV world as the "Guess-O-Meter", it's just that, a guess/estimate. The Mach-E takes a ton of info into account with giving it's estimate (prior driving history, temps, etc). Many have claimed the guess-o-meter in the Mach-E to be very conservative so far.

Your dealer may not have reset the EV driving history before you took delivery, so if you want, you should be able to reset the EV driving history in the Vehicle tab of the center screen somewhere (sorry, don't know exactly where off-hand). From there it will learn your specific driving styles and all and update to give it's new guess on range.

OP
OP
Rugbyjay1

Rugbyjay1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Project Mgr
Country flag
The estimated range on the dash is what is most commonly referred to in the EV world as the "Guess-O-Meter", it's just that, a guess/estimate. The Mach-E takes a ton of info into account with giving it's estimate (prior driving history, temps, etc). Many have claimed the guess-o-meter in the Mach-E to be very conservative so far.

Your dealer may not have reset the EV driving history before you took delivery, so if you want, you should be able to reset the EV driving history in the Vehicle tab of the center screen somewhere (sorry, don't know exactly where off-hand). From there it will learn your specific driving styles and all and update to give it's new guess on range.
Thanks so much for the information.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
I think we need a "What you should do after taking delivery of a Mach-E" sticky thread. This is excellent advice in re-setting the driving history.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

That number should creep up in the coming days as you build a history on it. Probably won't get near 270 until summer, since cold temps are really hard on BEVs. Use of the cabin heater can take 10-30% off range. There are other losses to the cold as well.

I suspect you'll see that creep up to something in the 210-230 range within a few weeks. Then maybe 250-270 by mid-summer.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

More appropriately, the car needs a bit more education of its own capabilities. How many miles does it show? It's probably basing the estimate on a very few miles and lots of idle time.

They could have fixed this with programming that nudged the initial estimate higher but they seem to be letting the car learn for itself.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
It's probably basing the estimate on a very few miles and lots of idle time.
This. More noticeable the more range the vehicle has, and can influence the range estimate for longer than you'd think.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A better projection is for you to take it for a 1/2hr to an hour drive, and look at the mi/kwh number the car shows you on that trip and multiply by 88. As mentioned the guess-o-meter starts out conservatively and adjusts based on your actual driving habits. It is also winter, so expect 25% better range in the warmer months.
Sponsored