Battery Power reduction on long trip

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 289 Convertible, 21 GB GTPE MME
Country flag
I did a 400 mile trip in my MME last week and when the GPS calculated my trip it wanted me to stop and charge 3 times. I ended up deciding to charge more at the 1st stop and eliminating the 2nd stop. So, I had a long interval in the middle. All highway and I was running 80-85mph mostly using BC. Near the end of the leg I noticed the battery power severely reduced. I imagine due to heating. It wasn’t that hot out. Maybe 74F. I just thought that was a lot of reduction in max power for a 175 mile trip.
I guess I never really thought about that before, because I thought the battery thermal management system would be able to handle cooling the battery.
Anyway, just an FYI.

49CA52C9-E499-4EE4-A2C6-38CE5A11680D.jpeg
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I have no evidence of my statements that I'm about to make, but on my previous EV this would happen at low charge in order to get the most out of what's left to get you to a charger.

In other words it would limit acceleration, climate control, power delivery and top speed due to the low battery.

My guess would be that Ford has something similar and it's unrelated to thermal management.

Last edited:

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have no evidence of my statements that I'm about to make, but on my previous EV this would happen at low charge in order to get the most out of what's left to get you to a charger.

In other words it would limit acceleration, climate control and top speed due to the low battery.

My guess would be that Ford has something similar and it's unrelated to thermal management.
Agreed. Very unlikely to have anything to do with thermal management. I noticed on my GT that it started limiting power when I got down to something like 35%. Not as much as shown above, but I would assume it would cut it more and more. It basically seems to me that its more like "hey, you need to make it to a charger, not drive like a maniac."

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
The power limit was most likely related to the low SOC, but the battery pack temperature is actually easy to check with an elm327 adapter and a smartphone.
Sponsored