Battery supplier SKI: 500 miles of range with 20 minutes of fast-charging, ready in 2021

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ith-20-minutes-of-fast-charging-ready-in-2021
Battery supplier SKI: 500 miles of range with 20 minutes of fast-charging, ready in 2021
avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s.jpg

BENGT HALVORSON OCTOBER 23, 2020

The South Korean supplier SK Innovation revealed Thursday that it’s developing cells that will only need two quick 10-minute charges to cover more than 500 miles of range when installed in an EV.

SKI said that it expects to complete the development of the new cells by the first half of next year—or as soon as the end of the year—after which they “can play a significant role in the spread of EVs,” the company said in an accompanying press release.

The announcement, made at a battery-tech trade conference sponsored by the South Korean government, didn’t yet include any details of the chemistry used by the new cells, although it did say that the long range is supported by technology using high-density nickels and tech that can accommodate more than 1,000 charge/discharge cycles.

For SKI's near-future tech, EVs might be able to pack a more modest cell capacity—in a small-car footprint, for instance—and still be able to do long-distance road trips with a minimum of break time for charging.

The supplier says that it has decided to focus its development efforts on “long-life batteries that enable long-range driving,” and early this year revealed a new “SK Inside” branding strategy aiming for more awareness.

2020-kia-niro-ev_100741858_l.jpg
2020 Kia Niro EV

Although Kia and Hyundai and Kia electric vehicles might share some EV propulsion components and even software, most Hyundai models, like the Kona Electric, use LG Chem cells while most Kia models, such as the Kia Niro EV, use cells from rival supplier SK Innovation.

The two suppliers have been in a longtime legal dispute in which LG Chem alleges that SKI breached trade secrets and is producing cells too close to those it’s developed.

SKI pointed out that it developed its first lithium-ion batteries in 1996, and it’s supplied batteries for EVs and plug-in hybrids for 10 years without a single battery-fire incident.

The timing in pointing that out might not be coincidental. The Chevrolet Bolt EV is the subject of a NHTSA safety probe for several instances of fire, while Hyundai is recalling the Kona Electric for an issue relating to fires when the vehicle is parked and fully charged. Both of those models are powered by cells from LG Chem, not SKI.

-battery-factories-in-commerce-georgia_100762191_l.jpg
Rendering of SK Innovation battery factories in Commerce, Georgia

SK Innovation is in the process of building a two-factory complex in Georgia that will supply cells for up to 300,000 vehicles, including the Volkswagen ID.4, when it’s made in Chattanooga starting in 2022, and the Ford F-150 Electric, which will be made in Michigan starting in 2022.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wish they'd quit claiming "miles" (range) in these announcements and just give us kWh. Because real world road trip miles are only a fraction of what they typically calculate. They commonly assume a small BEV getting the most efficiency, and doing slow speed driving (like EPA).

In the Mach-E, for example, real world interstate speed driving in the most common trim (AWD ER) in just average weather (not perfect) with climate control on (which the vast majority of people will use) looks like it we be around 2.5 miles/kWh. 500 miles would consume 200 kWh. But I seriously doubt the article is really talking about 200 kWh in just two 10-minute charges. That would take a 600 kW charge rate and no taper.

Last edited:

Popeye

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford Taurus
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
I wish they'd quit claiming "miles" (range) in these announcements and just give us kWh. Because real world road trip miles are only a fraction of what they typically calculate. They commonly assume a small BEV getting the most efficiency, and doing slow speed driving (like EPA).

In the Mach-E, for example, real world interstate speed driving in the most common trim (AWD ER) in just average weather (not perfect) with climate control on (which the vast majority of people will use) looks like it we be around 2.5 miles/kWh. 500 miles would consume 200 kWh. But I seriously doubt the article is really talking about 200 kWh in just two 10-minute charges.
I agree. The more I learn from this forum about BEV’s the more I understand that all these EPA estimates and reality. Humidity and rain for example hindering distance. It’s crazy to learn all of that. But I point out these articles because they show Ford seems to have backed the right pony(pun intended). And while ASSB’s will allow for greater range, more importantly they will be lighter, more energy dense, and most importantly more cost effective.

If Nio can make them backwards compatible and offer retrofits to their current lineup, makes me hopeful Ford can do the same for the MME’s.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. The more I learn from this forum about BEV’s the more I understand that all these EPA estimates and reality. Humidity and rain for example hindering distance. It’s crazy to learn all of that. But I point out these articles because they show Ford seems to have backed the right pony(pun intended). And while ASSB’s will allow for greater range, more importantly they will be lighter, more energy dense, and most importantly more cost effective.

If Nio can make them backwards compatible and offer retrofits to their current lineup, makes me hopeful Ford can do the same for the MME’s.
Oh for sure, improvement is still improvement. Not downplaying the goodness of the better capabilities that SS batteries may bring at all.

I just get annoyed at the reporters for spewing recklessly optimistic range numbers that set unrealistic expectations for the public. 300 miles at slow city speeds in perfect SoCal weather, sure. But that's not where 99% of people will be driving 300 miles (or more) in a day. They'll be doing that at 70-80 MPH. Usually in less-than-perfect temps.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I've driven by their battery factory several times in Georgia and it's a gigantic facility. They've thrown some major money into that factory, if they can do anything close to what they are talking about then that's a major accomplisment.

tomking29

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ith-20-minutes-of-fast-charging-ready-in-2021
Ford Mustang Mach-E Battery supplier SKI: 500 miles of range with 20 minutes of fast-charging, ready in 2021 -battery-factories-in-commerce-georgia_100762191_l

BENGT HALVORSON OCTOBER 23, 2020

The South Korean supplier SK Innovation revealed Thursday that it’s developing cells that will only need two quick 10-minute charges to cover more than 500 miles of range when installed in an EV.

SKI said that it expects to complete the development of the new cells by the first half of next year—or as soon as the end of the year—after which they “can play a significant role in the spread of EVs,” the company said in an accompanying press release.

The announcement, made at a battery-tech trade conference sponsored by the South Korean government, didn’t yet include any details of the chemistry used by the new cells, although it did say that the long range is supported by technology using high-density nickels and tech that can accommodate more than 1,000 charge/discharge cycles.

For SKI's near-future tech, EVs might be able to pack a more modest cell capacity—in a small-car footprint, for instance—and still be able to do long-distance road trips with a minimum of break time for charging.

The supplier says that it has decided to focus its development efforts on “long-life batteries that enable long-range driving,” and early this year revealed a new “SK Inside” branding strategy aiming for more awareness.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Battery supplier SKI: 500 miles of range with 20 minutes of fast-charging, ready in 2021 -battery-factories-in-commerce-georgia_100762191_l
2020 Kia Niro EV

Although Kia and Hyundai and Kia electric vehicles might share some EV propulsion components and even software, most Hyundai models, like the Kona Electric, use LG Chem cells while most Kia models, such as the Kia Niro EV, use cells from rival supplier SK Innovation.

The two suppliers have been in a longtime legal dispute in which LG Chem alleges that SKI breached trade secrets and is producing cells too close to those it’s developed.

SKI pointed out that it developed its first lithium-ion batteries in 1996, and it’s supplied batteries for EVs and plug-in hybrids for 10 years without a single battery-fire incident.

The timing in pointing that out might not be coincidental. The Chevrolet Bolt EV is the subject of a NHTSA safety probe for several instances of fire, while Hyundai is recalling the Kona Electric for an issue relating to fires when the vehicle is parked and fully charged. Both of those models are powered by cells from LG Chem, not SKI.

Rendering of SK Innovation battery factories in Commerce, Georgia

SK Innovation is in the process of building a two-factory complex in Georgia that will supply cells for up to 300,000 vehicles, including the Volkswagen ID.4, when it’s made in Chattanooga starting in 2022, and the Ford F-150 Electric, which will be made in Michigan starting in 2022.
That kind of technology advancement will require extensive testing and settling in.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
That kind of technology advancement will require extensive testing and settling in.
Agreed, I see this sort of article all the time in the energy industry. Do you know how many times crystalline silicon PV modules have been made obsolete in the last 20 years? According to the articles, 5 times a year, in reality, zero times.

Plus, the range comparisons are silly - you can give any EV any range you want by just piling more batteries into it. The MachE could have had 500 miles of range if they reduced the power of the motors and got rid of the back seats. The question is how many kWhs / kg, and what charging power supports a 20 year service life?
Sponsored