Beginning to Question My Purchase of an EV.

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I had two trips I was planning to make and neither can be done due to lack of charging stations. I thought I'd visit the Hill Country of New Braunsfels, Texas. There are no charging stations anywhere near there and certainly none in the city itself. The same goes for a trip I hoped to make to Naskila Gaming in Livingston, Texas. I'm beginning to understand why several car companies that have an EV line do NOT offer them in Texas.
Sponsored

MParkour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RR Mustang GT 2017 Tacoma 2021 RR MME FE
Country flag
I had two trips I was planning to make and neither can be done due to lack of charging stations. I thought I'd visit the Hill Country of New Braunsfels, Texas. There are no charging stations anywhere near there and certainly none in the city itself. The same goes for a trip I hoped to make to Naskila Gaming in Livingston, Texas. I'm beginning to understand why several car companies that have an EV line do NOT offer them in Texas.
There are some but most are relatively slow chargers
Ford Mustang Mach-E Beginning to Question My Purchase of an EV. 1614885179153

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
The one near Seguin by Texas Lutheran University is a relatively fast charging station

4EA445C3-805E-4B80-B8E8-1EECC1599A6A.png

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Not sure where in Houston you are or how you are going, but Columbus has a 350 kW charger and Seguin has a 50 kW charger. I'd think the Columbus charger would do it by itself and the Senguin just adds some comfort. The Chevy dealer in Braunfels also lets people use its 20 kW charger. Just remember the goal isn't to get a 100% SOC, just enough plus a buffer to get to the next charging station.

There isn't a ton of choice but I'd do the trip and I'm not a risk taker. Have an adventure and enjoy a sausage for me.

Last edited:

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I thought the nav system in the car did route planning that included charging stops. Did the OP use the nav system to plan the trips? Or a third party tool like ABRP? I understand that TX is more liquified dinosaur-based, but I’m sure there must be some way to make the trips.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Have you used ABRP to plan the route in both directions?

More chargers are coming every day, including to Texas. :)

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
May be not a great suggestion but here it is - Austin is not too far from these locations and Austin has bunch of chargers. So you could use Austin to charge as you arrive from Houston (I know its a bit of detour) or on way back.

Or San Antonio

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
North east San Antonio has a super WalMart with 8 new EA charging stations.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
What tools have you used to check? Have you used PlugShare or A Better Route Planner (ABRP)?

OP
OP
Major

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I didn't know what to use other than Google.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
https://abetterrouteplanner.com got its start as just what it sounds like, a better route planner for Teslas than Tesla's nav. It's expanded to other vehicles as well. It will be less than perfectly accurate for Mach-E because they don't have enough real-world data on the car yet, hence why it says "Alpha" next to Mach-E.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Try ... Ford Pass App, The NAV. inside the MME, Plugshare, Electrify America .com, charge point .com, EVGO.com

I'm not from Texas, I hear it's big. Isn't Houston to Livingston only about 80 miles? You can make it there and back. If you are staying the night, I can plug in while you sleep at an Inn. Check Plugshare for that also

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I use Plugshare from the computer. Have a nice large screen and the options are clear at a glance. Super easy to set the filters. I usually just look for CCS chargers but you could look for CCS over 150 kW. It's a lot easier for me to just look at the map and the chargers and figure out what will work than to use something like ABR or FordPass or even ChargePoint to make the decisions for me.

I alway read the reviews, which can also provide directions and photos.

OP
OP
Major

Major

First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Try ... Ford Pass App, The NAV. inside the MME, Plugshare, Electrify America .com, charge point .com, EVGO.com

I'm not from Texas, I hear it's big. Isn't Houston to Livingston only about 80 miles? You can make it there and back. If you are staying the night, I can plug in while you sleep at an Inn. Check Plugshare for that also
Yes. It is possible I might make it to Livingston and back on one charge. However, I liv

I considered that I might be able to make it on one charge. However, I live on the opposite side of Houston from Livingston so at least another 40 miles must be added to the distance. I know of no motels or hotels that include charging. Do they exist?
Sponsored