D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
Looking to upgrade the tires without replacing the rims on my Premium AWD ER. Anyone swap the tires but not the rims? I tried doing a search, but couldn't find a discussion on just replacing the tires.
Sponsored

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
What's wrong with the stock tires? Genuinely curious.

OP
OP
Dnorwood98

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
What's wrong with the stock tires? Genuinely curious.
I usually like to upgrade the tires to a better A/S tire with a mud/snow rating (Primacy has an Okay rating, especially in snowy conditions), I may wait until the Primacy's wear out. I usually don't run separate winter tires.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I usually like to upgrade the tires to a better A/S tire with a mud/snow rating (Primacy has an Okay rating, especially in snowy conditions), I may wait until the Primacy's wear out. I usually don't run separate winter tires.
I gotcha. I'll give them a shot but weather in Arkansas is probably fine for the stock tires. WA is a different story.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
IMO, which is worth only something to me, many people replace tires because they think something is going to be inadequate, when it's either no different (that they can tell) or due to driving abilities.

We've lived in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, and driven in horrible snow conditions. I have never purchased snow tires since my 1976 Datsun 280Z, and find that the standard tires are perfectly adequate if one knows how to drive in snow. We drove our 2018 Fusion Energi with them, our 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and every other car we've owned.

I truly believe that in a blind test, with the tires covered up, 99% of drivers would have no clue. Yes, scientific tests by places like Consumer Reports show differences, albeit often minor, in things like stopping distance, etc. Totally valid. But is it worth $1,200 in tires?

The consumer ratings of tires on website are worthless. Unless you conduct an A/B test in the same conditions, it has little value. Many people don't know how to drive, nor how to rotate tires regularly, nor how to care for their vehicles, .... [removes soap box]

I have no plans to remove the factory tires. If I had a GTPE with the summer tires, and lived in a snowy area, I MIGHT consider it.

Of course in really bad weather, the F-150 with the soon to be new Michelin Defenders and 4x4 will suffice. ?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
I have no plans to remove the factory tires. If I had a GTPE with the summer tires, and lived in a snowy area, I MIGHT consider it.

Of course in really bad weather, the F-150 with the soon to be new Michelin Defenders and 4x4 will suffice. ?
Yup, since I live in a pretty much average year-round climate, I probably won’t change tires on my GT-PE. I will keep an eye on the weather forecasts and if it looks like the temperature is going to get too cold the following week I’ll worry about replacing tires at that point.

Of course, that would require that I have taken delivery of my car. ?‍♂??
Sponsored