Best percentage charge at home for battery life

What is your config of charge at home for workday ?

• Total voters

xofox25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium ER Red Job2
Occupation
IT system admin
Country flag
Hi all,

I know that for battery it is usually better to charge at 80% most of time except for long distance (weekend/vacation).
As my MME have a 99 Kw range but only 88 usable, I wonder if I can go to 85 or 90% of charge at home without prematurely reduce the battery life.
So I start this topic to debate : What is your config of charge at home ?
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It's best to search before starting a debate thread that has been debated many times.

Manual says 90%, consensus is 90% given the buffer etc.

If one feels 80 or 85 is best go with it, but lets not have another debate on this topic because Ford hasn't publicly said anything otherwise.

OP
OP

xofox25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium ER Red Job2
Occupation
IT system admin
Country flag
Ok ok ok... Apologies, I already search for such a discussion but don't find easily.
Sometimes things evolve with everyone's experiences.
Topic could be closed. sorry again

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ok ok ok... Apologies, I already search for such a discussion but don't find easily.
Sometimes things evolve with everyone's experiences.
Topic could be closed. sorry again
No search needed. Ford tells you in the manual. Owner.ford.com for a pdf copy.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
Hi all,

I know that for battery it is usually better to charge at 80% most of time except for long distance (weekend/vacation).
As my MME have a 99 Kw range but only 88 usable, I wonder if I can go to 85 or 90% of charge at home without prematurely reduce the battery life.
So I start this topic to debate : What is your config of charge at home ?
I see you are new here - Welcome.

And I see that you have already met our resident curmudgeon, RickMachE. ;)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Best percentage charge at home for battery life get-off-my-lawn-clint-eastwood

He does have a breadth of experience, and is certainly uninhibited in calling out what he thinks is "uninformed" or lazy.

Again welcome.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I see you are new here - Welcome.

And I see that you have already met our resident curmudgeon, RickMachE. ;)

He does have a breadth of experience, and is certainly uninhibited in calling out what he thinks is "uninformed" or lazy.

Again welcome.
Calling out nothing. Informing new person that he can find the info, which he was told by another poster who told him he didn't search, in his manual.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Except a search for "Best battery life" in the forum search returns:

Terrible Highway mileage!
Is it ok to charge to 90%
10/10/22 Build Week Fam
One pedal drive (vs) Brake regeneration
Battery range less than official figures
Dynamic weather changes + charging

Well, you get the idea.

I just joined this forum not long ago as I have an order in for a MME, but in terms of registering for forums I can't tell you how many I've been a member of for the past 4 decades now. Heck, I've even designed and ran several (oh those vBulletin plugins and hacks).

I think we should be all past dropping the hammer of "search for it don't ask again" because well, the search isn't exactly worth it sometimes. We've all been that "newbie" to a forum countless times, but undoubtedly none of us are a newbie to using forums.

Just my $.02

Also, a better way of searching a forum... use google. Like this:

site:macheforum.com "best battery percentage"

if you're looking for an exact phrase, put quotes around it. The returned results are FAR better than what you'd find by clicking the search box on the forum here.

Oh, and I charge my Tesla to 80% at home. I'll likely charge my MME to 90% since it has a bigger buffer of unused battery.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I never shortchange my charge - 100% on L2 once a week at home.

90% on L3.

SOC buffers exist to prevent ever truly reaching 100%....

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The current battery technology likes to hover around 50% SoC for best longevity. Obviously, it is impossible to keep the SoC there forever. I currently charge to 85% once or twice per week, which cycles me to ~50% if twice a week or to ~35% if once a week. I’m considering changing my upper limit to 60-65% and charging daily in order to take advantage of battery preconditioning every morning. 🤷‍♂️🐩

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
You all think way too hard about battery longitivtiy. My FFE is 12 years old. Been charged to 100% nearly nightly. Maybe lost 5% in 7 years and it sits outside in PHX. It's either 30 for a low or 120+ in the sun. Don't charge these to 100% nightly, don't run it to zero every week. Any big loss in capacity is covered by the 8yr warranty. If you happen to have the car in 8 years you won't care that it lost 20 to 30 miles of range because it 'saved' you 10's of thousands in gas.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Curious as to how the Mach-E regen works if the battery as at full charge. In my Tesla if I'm at or near 100% regen and 1-pedal driving do not work, I have to (gasp) use the brake pedal.

Not having the MME yet, is this a similar behavior? Wondering if Ford allows the buffer in the battery to capture the regen even if the SOC is at 100%

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
No search needed. Ford tells you in the manual. Owner.ford.com for a pdf copy.
The manual tells you don't charge above 90% daily...

people read that guidance as telling you TO charge to 90 daily...

In the ICE world its like the manual saying don't rev your engine above 6500RPM...

and people reading that as rev your engine to 6500 RPM all the time because it is recommended in the manual.

the golden eel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Curious as to how the Mach-E regen works if the battery as at full charge. In my Tesla if I'm at or near 100% regen and 1-pedal driving do not work, I have to (gasp) use the brake pedal.

Not having the MME yet, is this a similar behavior? Wondering if Ford allows the buffer in the battery to capture the regen even if the SOC is at 100%
Regen is the same at 100% state of charge. I'm guessing that's part of the reason the MME has a buffer on the battery.

It's one thing that the MME does better (software/tech-wise) than Tesla.

Last edited:

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Calling out nothing. Informing new person that he can find the info, which he was told by another poster who told him he didn't search, in his manual.
The burden of having too similar of an avatar with others on the forum. You get blamed for someone else who commented. 🤦‍♂️

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
You all think way too hard about battery longitivtiy. My FFE is 12 years old. Been charged to 100% nearly nightly. Maybe lost 5% in 7 years and it sits outside in PHX. It's either 30 for a low or 120+ in the sun. Don't charge these to 100% nightly, don't run it to zero every week. Any big loss in capacity is covered by the 8yr warranty. If you happen to have the car in 8 years you won't care that it lost 20 to 30 miles of range because it 'saved' you 10's of thousands in gas.
Exactly this. I have zero concerns about my battery life. I grew tired of the fox battery FUD when I had my Prii. I keep my battery at 100% on an L1 or L2 EVSE in the winter and up around 90% on an L2 in the summer so I can quickly charge it to nearly 100% if we decide to do a spur-of-the-moment road trip. We drive it nearly every day so it doesn't sit at any particular state of charge for very long.
Sponsored