johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
luckily the Mustang still looks better!
Understatement of the century!

Glad your trip was a success. Out of curiosity, where did you go and what charging strategy did you end up using?
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Well the road trip was a success. Great car for long hauls. BlueCruise is fantastic. No issues charging, would like a better curve though, like the Lightning’s.

Only downer of the trip? Having an Ioniq 5 pull in to an EA station after I started charging, seeing them zoom past my state of charge, and pull away 😅 My wife noticed and when I said it was a hardware limitation I couldnt help but feel completely inadequate lolol luckily the Mustang still looks better!
I did a DCFC this morning and went from 17% to 94% in 53 minutes. That was excellent, IMO. The new charging curve is really beneficial.

And while I was waiting for my car, I saw my first Rivian. So awesome. She was from Vermont and heading home.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Question about DCFC charging - can both cables being used at the same time without reducing declared power?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Best road trip charging strategy 1655075517268

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Question about DCFC charging - can both cables being used at the same time without reducing declared power?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Best road trip charging strategy 1655075517268
Nope, as confirmed by an EA rep while on my road trip.

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Understatement of the century!

Glad your trip was a success. Out of curiosity, where did you go and what charging strategy did you end up using?
Wasn't a huge trip, headed to PA, about 750 miles round trip. On the way out there I stopped twice to be safe, with probably 35% the first time and 15% the second time charging. But on the way back I took a shorter route and opted to charge only once, got down to probably 15% and charged to 75%, rolled into the driveway with probably 10% charge left.

Biggest takeaway was speed KILLS range. If I was going 75 my mile/kWh was bad, but bringing it down to about 68/69mph and things improved a lot.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
EA chargers are one hose at a time. Two hoses for ease of access only.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Use ABRP to plan ahead because charging station spacing isn’t perfect and if you take alternate routes, occasionally the MME (our SR AWD did) Nav app won’t let you take that route but.. ABRP will set a speed limit suggestion (ie don’t exceed X) for you to get there. Also the blue ring of optimism gives you the ultimate distance and if that exceeds your destination by say 30 miles…probably good to go.

Also, in the west on the interstates 75-85 mph plus headwinds.. will suck power and nothing wrong with tucking behind (at a respectable distance) and let a freight truck run blocking interference.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Use ABRP to plan ahead
What "mi/kWh at 65mph" setting in ABRP to use? I don't really know mine, in city traffic (wich is much lower than 65) it's about 3.5 recently. I left default 3.0 and ABRP was a lot more pessimistic than my actual driving result, i.e. it took 43% of my standard battery instead of predicted 60% for 84 mile leg at the constant speed of 77 m/h.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
I usually get fine results with Fordpass trip estimate for charging stops and overall time but I just plugged in trip from Denver to Pratt KS and received a SHOCKING 22+ hour trip with more than 14 hours charging. Same trip on ABRP was my expected 8+ hours. Everytime I try to check the filters on Fordpass it boots me out of the app. Anyone else seeing similar problems? Unintalled/reinstalled app. Android phone.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
What "mi/kWh at 65mph" setting in ABRP to use? I don't really know mine, in city traffic (wich is much lower than 65) it's about 3.5 recently. I left default 3.0 and ABRP was a lot more pessimistic than my actual driving result, i.e. it took 43% of my standard battery instead of predicted 60% for 84 mile leg at the constant speed of 77 m/h.
I have found the same thing. I had it set to 2.6 and it was much more pessimistic than reality. I changed it to 3.0 and still did better than ABRP predicted for a trip I took this weekend.

I don't think I really do better than 3.0 at 65 mph, so maybe it was the stop and go congestion that ABRP didn't know about. That dropped my average speed and gave me periods of regen.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag

Sorta depends on conditions but 3.0 is conservative and then your experience and risk taking ability. My backup plan was to hit an RV park for some level 2 volts. But my standard practice is to take the distance/2 and use that as a target. If you are above it your golden. So say you are 100 miles in and running 10 miles above your conservative target.. and when we went from Missoula to Great Falls via MT 200 I also drove sub 58 mph which was ABRP’s recommended max average speed. We did fine but I let a lot cars & trucks cruising at 80 mph by…
Sponsored