Best way to set 90% max charge?? And - is 90 the right number?

codyrobinson

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Country flag
I just got my Mach e Premium and am loving it. Still trying to figure everything out.

I bought a Juice Box 40 as a charger for my garage. I have the option on that app to tell it to charge up to 300 miles, or 99 kwh.

I also can go into the Ford Pass app and set it to 90%.

Does it matter? What are others doing?

Also -- I've decided 90% will be the number unless I'm going on a road trip. From what I've read, it seems that for battery health that should be fine (since there is also a built in buffer). Agree or disagree?
Sponsored

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I just got my Mach e Premium and am loving it. Still trying to figure everything out.

I bought a Juice Box 40 as a charger for my garage. I have the option on that app to tell it to charge up to 300 miles, or 99 kwh.

I also can go into the Ford Pass app and set it to 90%.

Does it matter? What are others doing?

Also -- I've decided 90% will be the number unless I'm going on a road trip. From what I've read, it seems that for battery health that should be fine (since there is also a built in buffer). Agree or disagree?
I believe the Mach-E manual suggests charging to 90% for regular daily us and 100% for longer road trips. It appears that this defined charge limit is location dependent, so if you charge somewhere other than home, it would charge to 100%

I personally just use the Fordpass app to set my charge limit to 90%.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Set it in the FordPass app after you charge at said place for the first time.

I set mine to 80%. Ford recommends 90% max for daily use but if you don't need it that high, just charge to 80%. Generally speaking a little bit lower SoC is better for battery longevity.

OP
OP
codyrobinson

codyrobinson

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Country flag
Set it in the FordPass app after you charge at said place for the first time.

I set mine to 80%. Ford recommends 90% max for daily use but if you don't need it that high, just charge to 80%. Generally speaking a little bit lower SoC is better for battery longevity.
Again, I'm a newbie...

If you set to 80%, drive sparingly for a day, and end the day at 76%, do you plug in that night, or do you wait until you reach a certain percentage? Wondering if there's any downside to just plugging every night and getting in that habit, or if I need to let the battery run down?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Again, I'm a newbie...

If you set to 80%, drive sparingly for a day, and end the day at 76%, do you plug in that night, or do you wait until you reach a certain percentage? Wondering if there's any downside to just plugging every night and getting in that habit, or if I need to let the battery run down?
You can do either: Charging from 76% to 80% (or even nightly from some level to 80%) shouldn't harm anything.

Personally since my CA Rt1 can go so far I charge once or twice per week to 90% (depends on how far I plan to drive on the weekend if I charge for the weekend or not).

If I remember correctly, last winter I set it to 80% and let it charge up daily so I could heat the car on the plug if need be.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Again, I'm a newbie...

EVs generally like being plugged in (Always Be Charging) so they can use grid power for thermal regulation, 12V battery management and other passive actions without dipping into the big battery's reserves. Ford left a substantial top (and also a notable bottom) buffer in the battery, to the point that the manufacturer recommended 90% of the usable 88kwh for daily use is pretty close to 80% of the full 99kwh. There may still be marginal long term gains to setting the max state of charge down to 80%, but I wouldn't stress too hard about that, just don't charge above 90% except when needed.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Again, I'm a newbie...

Agreed with Jamie. You can do either. Personally unless I know I'm going to be doing a lot of driving the next day I don't charge back up to 80% until I'm at 50% or below generally.

Leaving it plugged in will keep the battery at a temperature it likes, however if you're in an insulated garage it doesn't really matter. If it is stored outside in the extreme heat or cold I would plug it in nightly and set the limit to 80%. Just my personal take.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I drive almost 100 miles per day and use around 35% battery. I charge to 90% every day

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
My car is set to charge to 90% at home using the Ford Mobile Charger. I still had it on the charger when I looked at the battery PIDs with Torque Pro. I noticed the charger was going with the Displayed SOC at 89.5%. The charging stopped when the Displayed SOC hit 90. I turned some stuff on and the charger turned on again when the Displayed SOC dropped.

I was wondering what happens after it hits the car's setpoint. I assume if you set a limit on the EVSE side, the EVSE would stop at the limit and that is it. You could have problems doing the preconditioning in winter.

I have seen somewhere that the Ford Mobile Charger is 32 Amperes on Level 2. I do not know if it is because my supply voltage is low, but I only see a maximum of 30 Amperes.

Being able to read the AC voltage and AC current is handy as I figured the in-car charger is slightly more than 84% efficient when connected to a Level 2 EVSE.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm retired, so not a lot of miles. I have my home charge schedule set to 90%. As a general rule, I plug it in anytime I arrive home below 50% (for me that's maybe once a week).

I set the schedule & limit in the car.
I like using the car screen more than FordPass.

Rjm

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach E Premium
Occupation
Retired- probably oldest Mach E owner in the US- 83 yrs
Country flag
Having problems limiting charge to 90%. Have both Ford pass and SYNC 4 set to 90%, but it doesn't stop at 90% This morning it charged to 91% when I stopped it. Any suggestions if I am over looking something to limit charge?
thanks

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Having problems limiting charge to 90%. Have both Ford pass and SYNC 4 set to 90%, but it doesn't stop at 90% This morning it charged to 91% when I stopped it. Any suggestions if I am over looking something to limit charge?
thanks
Really old thread.

Have you saved the charging location?
Have you set a limit on it?

Rjm

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach E Premium
Occupation