Better to schedule charge at car or charger

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint charger that allows me to schedule when it will start charging so I can take advantage of reduced rates at night. The Mach-E allows you to do the same.

Which one have people found works with the least issues? When I have it on at the charger for a delay, I receive a notice via FordPass that the session couldn't initiate. When I do it at the car, the ChargePoint app misbehaves and tells me it's charging when it's not and vice-versa.

I have been just allowing my car to charge when I plug it in with no schedule settings at the charger, so the scheduling aspect is new to me.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Charger. Not even close. FordPass isn't reliable.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I have a ChargePoint charger that allows me to schedule when it will start charging so I can take advantage of reduced rates at night. The Mach-E allows you to do the same.

Which one have people found works with the least issues? When I have it on at the charger for a delay, I receive a notice via FordPass that the session couldn't initiate. When I do it at the car, the ChargePoint app misbehaves and tells me it's charging when it's not and vice-versa.

I have been just allowing my car to charge when I plug it in with no schedule settings at the charger, so the scheduling aspect is new to me.

Thoughts?
I have the ChargePoint Home Flex and set the schedule set up on both, charger and car.

The charger is set to the TOU DTE Energy hours from the rate plan drop down menu. Car is set to the same hours on weekdays as the charger but only 23 hours a day max on weekends (even though the electric company rate plan allows 24 hours on weekends), this seems to keep the car charging schedule from acting up.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Setting in the car works for me. Zero errors so far.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
You only want to set in the car. If you set in the charger the car won’t be able to pull from the grid during off hours to maintain the battery temperature.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You only want to set in the car. If you set in the charger the car won’t be able to pull from the grid during off hours to maintain the battery temperature.
For me, peak is 8 hours. I don't want it maintaining temp at peak rate.
Sponsored