BEV Lawn Mowers, I am going back to ICE!

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
My ICE mower broke recently (it was cheap from walmart), so I just used my neighbors nice EGO 57v with the 7.5a and 5.0a battery, (about $700 value). The experience was nice just like an EV, quiet, smooth, no vibration, some cool tech. But for me the battery range isnt there, and even worse the charging speeds. I have a 0.5 acre yard in New England. I have fully depleted both batteries and am about 3/4s done. If this was the fall and leaf season I would have to hire a guy.

Honestly the mower is more like my Gen 1 Leaf, awesome if it can handle your needs (smaller yard), but it is no Mach-E, it needs a bigger battery and a bit more power. Most of my neighbors have these but none drive an EV, I wonder if this experience with range and power is soiling them on EVs.

My other concern is my car has a battery management system to keep the battery healthy, and I dont leave it at 100% or 0%. A mower has no BMS, and I would image many store them in thier shed all winter, at either 0 or 100% and in the cold. So I can see why the batteries crap out after 3 years.

Sadly I just ordered an ICE self propelled for $350. I am sure this will fall apart in 5 years, but hopefully I can get the Mach-E of mowers by then.
Sponsored

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
I have the Ego mower and have no problem mowing my yard but it is less than a half acre. You'd probably need the riding mower they make for that size yard. I am very impressed with Ego and have a bunch of their yard equipment

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My ICE mower broke recently (it was cheap from walmart), so I just used my neighbors nice EGO 57v with the 7.5a and 5.0a battery, (about $700 value). The experience was nice just like an EV, quiet, smooth, no vibration, some cool tech. But for me the battery range isnt there, and even worse the charging speeds. I have a 0.5 acre yard in New England. I have fully depleted both batteries and am about 3/4s done. If this was the fall and leaf season I would have to hire a guy.
That's because you were using small batteries. I use an EGO mower with two 12Ah batteries. I have no problem mowing .5 acre with one battery, but have the other on standby just in case. They take about 40 minutes to fully charge on the rapid charger.

My other concern is my car has a battery management system to keep the battery healthy, and I dont leave it at 100% or 0%. A mower has no BMS, and I would image many store them in thier shed all winter, at either 0 or 100% and in the cold. So I can see why the batteries crap out after 3 years.
That's not true at all. The mower doesn't need a BMS because the BMS is built into each battery, which is part of the reason they're so expensive. If the batteries sit unused for 30 days, they automatically discharge to a safe storage charge of around 50%. If the batteries crap out after 3 years, EGO will replace them since they're warrantied for 5 years.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's not true at all. The mower doesn't need a BMS because the BMS is built into each battery, which is part of the reason they're so expensive. If the batteries sit unused for 30 days, they automatically discharge to a safe storage charge of around 50%. If the batteries crap out after 3 years, EGO will replace them since they're warrantied for 5 years.
Do they? I was trying to look into storage and so forth, but that is better. So yeah ideally I need 2 12ah batteries and fast charge, so $1200 to have a self propelled vs $350 for ICE and 1 can of gas. I am just saying for me it makes no financial sense. Now for my Mach-E its a no brainer vs an ICE.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do they? I was trying to look into storage and so forth, but that is better. So yeah ideally I need 2 12ah batteries and fast charge, so $1200 to have a self propelled vs $350 for ICE and 1 can of gas. I am just saying for me it makes no financial sense. No for my Mach-E its a no brainer vs an ICE.
Well, much like EVs, electric lawn equipment is much more expensive than ICE. Especially if you want a lot of battery capacity. Saving money isn't a reason to switch (yet).

Kismit

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium ER RWD IBSM ordered 11/6
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
My ICE lawnmower (self propelled) is pushing 20 years old - granted I have a much smaller yard but still....should last longer than 5 years (ok mine is a Honda with a Briggs and Stratton engine but still)

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My ICE lawnmower (self propelled) is pushing 20 years old - granted I have a much smaller yard but still....should last longer than 5 years (ok mine is a Honda with a Briggs and Stratton engine but still)
Dont replace it! They dont make them like they used to! My ICE died 3 years ago at the end of august, my lawn was long and half cut so I had to buy what was in stock, a cheap walmart that fell apart in 3 years.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

Honestly the mower is more like my Gen 1 Leaf, awesome if it can handle your needs (smaller yard), but it is no Mach-E, it needs a bigger battery and a bit more power. Most of my neighbors have these but none drive an EV, I wonder if this experience with range and power is soiling them on EVs.

Sadly I just ordered an ICE self propelled for $350. I am sure this will fall apart in 5 years, but hopefully I can get the Mach-E of mowers by then.
I have about 1/3 of an acre. I also have the EGO with the 7.5 battery.

Here is what I did . . . I bought the snow blower with 2 - 7.5 batteries. Now I have the mower, the blower, and 3 batteries available. Usually takes about 1.5 batteries to get my lawn done.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nobody said it won't last longer than 5 years. That's just the warranty length. What was the warranty length on your Honda?

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have about 1/3 of an acre. I also have the EGO with the 7.5 battery.

Here is what I did . . . I bought the snow blower with 2 - 7.5 batteries. Now I have the mower, the blower, and 3 batteries available. Usually takes about 1.5 batteries to get my lawn done.
I bought a cub cadet 5 years ago, 24in takes about 1hr to do driveway and sidewalk. So no need to replace that anytime soon. Now if I can get all my stuff to break around the same time that would be the plan.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I bought a cub cadet 5 years ago, 24in takes about 1hr to do driveway and sidewalk. So no need to replace that anytime soon. Now if I can get all my stuff to break around the same time that would be the plan.
The cost proposition does get better if you use the same batteries for all your yard equipment. I have the mower, snowblower, and backpack blower (so far).

MW1515

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I have a Makita that uses the LXT battery line. It uses two 18V at a time but holds four batteries and you can switch over to the other pair anytime. My lawn is only about 0.2 acres but one set of 2 batteries can usually do the whole thing. I feel like my Makita is heavier and has a more professional feel than some other battery brands. Makita also has the XGT line now with 40V batteries with increased power and runtime. I usually bring the batteries inside afterwards to avoid very hot or cold temps. I love not messing with gas or oil. Sharpening the blade is the ONLY maintenance to do.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
EV Mowers are insanely expensive. I bought a Yard Force RWD self propelled mower from Sam's 4 years ago for 230 bucks.. It's a Briggs and Stratton engine, no oil changes necessary...starts first pull, goes without issue. I used synthetic oil for first fill so it would last longer...4 years later oil still looks fine and it hasn't burned any yet. Pretty solid investment IMO.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag

I use an EGO mower for my 1/3 acre yard without issue. I have two 4.0ah batteries and a quick charger and the QC charges almost exactly as fast as the mower discharges. Also, the batteries themselves has a basic BMS that manages battery health, including partially discharging full batteries left unused or on the charger over a month.

I love the lower noise level, interchangeability with my trimmer, blower and mower, that you can use the self-propelled features to walk the mower across your yard without turning the mower on, and the ease you can completely fold it up and store it upright.

Also, I felt ridiculous pulling up to the gas station to fill a gas can in my Mach E. Worse, state law requires you to fill fuel containers on the ground, so I can't even pull up to a gas pump, open up the frunk, drag the hose over and look like I'm pumping fuel into the hood of my EV so that's a complete disappointment.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I use an EGO mower for my 1/3 acre yard without issue. I have two 4.0ah batteries and a quick charger and the QC charges almost exactly as fast as the mower discharges. Also, the batteries themselves has a basic BMS that manages battery health, including partially discharging full batteries left unused or on the charger over a month.

I love the lower noise level, interchangeability with my trimmer, blower and mower, that you can use the self-propelled features to walk the mower across your yard without turning the mower on, and the ease you can completely fold it up and store it upright.

Also, I felt ridiculous pulling up to the gas station to fill a gas can in my Mach E. Worse, state law requires you to fill fuel containers on the ground, so I can't even pull up to a gas pump, open up the frunk, drag the hose over and look like I'm pumping fuel into the hood of my EV so that's a complete disappointment.
I see you are texas, so you probably mow year round? I had concerns about leaving the batteries idle Nov-May every year
Sponsored